The Grammy Award - Record of the year

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
You know another song I really like the beat of, but shouldn't like the song? Blurred Lines. Horrible lyrics.

It's disgraceful that we've made it this far into this thread without someone posting a YouTube of the song in question for everyone's listening pleasure. I'll fix that oversight now...

[video=youtube;OPf0YbXqDm0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPf0YbXqDm0[/video]

And the other dancing-compulsory hit from that album (LANGUAGE WARNING)...

[video=youtube;ognnZ3r2qyQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ognnZ3r2qyQ[/video]

stgislander

PREMO Member
It's disgraceful that we've made it this far into this thread without someone posting a YouTube of the song in question for everyone's listening pleasure. I'll fix that oversight now...

[video=youtube;OPf0YbXqDm0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPf0YbXqDm0[/video]

TPD used it as the background music for his latest snow plowing video.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Not really my area of expertise, but I could take a crack at it.

This song is ice cold, like Michelle Phiefer, like white gold.
This song is for the girls from the neighborhood, the good girls, they're masterpieces.
We're looking good while spending time living it up in the city.
Got my favorite shoes on and my fanciest clothes.
I look so good I have to kiss myself.

Very nice :clap:

I love Bruno Mars in general and Uptown Funk in particular.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Maybe if someone could translate it for me, I'd be better able to understand this stuff. Cuz after all, smoother than a fresh dry skippy.

:lol: I HATE lyrics.

In Western pop music, think of lyrics as notes and a voice as an instrument. From that standpoint, there are 12 tones, or words, you can 'say' with a voice or a guitar. Or bass. Or horns. When we throw in octaves for depth, rhythm, it's still those same 12 tones to work with. We hear words at the end of verses that rhyme to give vocal variety but the instruments are playing the same 'word'. Words in the verse and chorus can be all sorts of actual words but they have to fit the music. "Up town funk you up" is actually (someone correct me if I have this wrong) only 2 notes in the song. One tab I looked up for this post shows it as simply a Fm chord that is being played.

Put another way, most every pop song you've ever heard, from the Beatles to Boy George, is, by and large, 3 chords, C, G and D. Over and over and in different orders and tempo's. Every blues song is, basically, 3 cords.

I say all that to pretend I know much of anything about music and sound like I know more than I do. However, there is core truth to it and the point is that Bruno is adding a LOT more color and variety to the thing than the actual instruments so, you can take some solace in that and when he, or anyone, is being repetitive, think of it as an instrument hammering home a chord progression or passage which is what the interments do ALL of the time. The best guitar solo you ever heard is still just, at best, 12 notes. It's how the notes, or words, are put together and performed that makes it all come alive.

It could be worse. It could be Inagadadavida. :lol:

Agreed. Now, if we can just get them all in one place at the same time.... :evil:

So they could have a huge party - dancing, singing at the top of their lungs, and generally having a great time - while people that don't like that kind of music stand around talking about how crappy it is?

:buddies:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
So they could have a huge party - dancing, singing at the top of their lungs, and generally having a great time - while people that don't like that kind of music stand around talking about how crappy it is?

:buddies:

Nah, I'm nowhere near as big a critic as I use to be. I even appreciate how good bruno is.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Stevie Wonder and Pentatonix at the Grammys! Love Kevin's laugh at the end! So obvious he's having a great time! (Did you know he was studying pre-med before joining this group?)

[video=youtube;o7dS_hsR8zs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7dS_hsR8zs[/video]

Last edited: