The Great Racial Accreditdation Debate in FL

B

Bruzilla

Edward Waters College, a “traditionally Black college” down here in Florida, was caught last year using plagiarized documents to reaccredit the school with the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS). They were also found to have used false enrollment numbers and other measures of the school’s performance. When SACS called the school on these issues, the school first denied, then quasi-pleaded guilty, but they wouldn’t state where the plagiarized documents originally came from (I guess it would get another school in trouble if the documents were given to Waters College for that purpose.) In December of last year, SACS pulled the accreditation of the college, and by a unanimous decision of the SACS members, an appeal from the college was just turned down. The result, the college has now filed a federal lawsuit to force SACS to allow the college to reform and get back on its feet. At issue is the fact that over 95% of the students are on government aid, and that aid goes away now that the school is no longer accredited. This is not the first time that the SACS has pulled the accreditation on a college that has committed some severe violations of the rules, but it’s the first time that the courts have been brought in to overturn the decision.

The first thing about this story that ticked me off was the federal judge determining that he had some say in this case. The federal government has no jurisdiction over SACS, and there was no violation of any law that the feds would have governance over. I think the judge should have dismissed the case immediately. Second, the rules that were violated are not new. They’ve been in place since SACS was founded, and the leaders at Edward Waters knew they were breaking the rules and knew what the consequences would be. Now that they got caught, they’re trying to paint SACS as the bad guys, including, of course, playing the race card.

But what really steams me is the media down here. They’re all playing up the fact that students at the college will lose their grants unless they transfer to another school, and that their credits may not transfer now. And like the school staff, they’re blaming all of this despair on SACS. Most of the opinions I’m hearing and reading are that the school should get a pass and be allowed to reorganize itself under new management while keeping it’s accredited status. After all, SACS shouldn’t be screwing the kids out of what they have worked so hard for, and this way all will be treated fairly.

My view is that the college accreditation process is based on schools providing honest information. They are essentially on the Honor System, as SACS has no way to go out and audit each school. This is why the punishment for furnishing false information is so severe. Now SACS is getting pressured to forgo the rules. I have to ask, “what’s the point in having rules?” If they’re going to let Edward Waters walk, won’t they have to let every other college walk? Sure the kids are getting screwed, but place the blame where it belongs, which is with the college staff and not the accreditation agency.

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
Bruzilla said:
The federal government has no jurisdiction over SACS, and there was no violation of any law that the feds would have governance over.

The college realizes that they cannot get any relief in the State courts. They MUST go Federal 'cause the State courts won't rule in a cross-jurisdictional fight like this. The other reason the Fed court will take this on is 'cause many of the grants are Federal or Federally-guaranteed.

The bubbas have it wired. If anything goes 'gainst 'em, they go to the Federal courts who will make sure things go their way.

Hot N Bothered

I can understand the courts hearing the case. Many of the grants and other monies the students are receiving are from federal government programs. The stipulation that the college must be accreditated for the students to receive these funds was made by the government programs administering the funds, which means that the federal government recognizes SACS as an official accredidating agency.

That said, just because the courts have the jurisdiction to arbitrate this issue, doesn't mean SACS is evil or that the school has the right to reorganize without losing it's accredation status. If the charges of misconduct by the school officials is true, they should be ousted by the governing board of the college, but not knowing any other facts of the case, other then what is presented here, I'd say, the college needs to reapply for accredidation and start over from scratch.

All credits earned by students while the college had accredidated status, should transfer and all grants should stay in effect until the end of the current semester, but after that :shrug: If students want to support their college and stick with it, despite it's lack of accredidation, that's admirable, but they should be aware they are taking a risk and not be allowed to cry foul, if the college doesn't get reaccredidated and they find their diplomas are worthless.