The headline Vrai's been waiting for

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
"If Ed Koch had said what Ralph Nader said, we'd be marching," Sharpton noted. "This [scolding] doesn't rise to the level of a march. It rises to the level of a wrist slap."

"It's not something that I would say," Ickes told me yesterday. "Having grown up in the 1950s and 1960s, I think it's not a word that whites can use.

So, a Republican supporter says it in the same spirit, and they would be on him like white on rice (I can say that. I am white.), but if a guy says it who a portion of their base likes, we will just point him in the right direction in a friendly way. At least they admit what we have known for years! :lmao:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Can you imagine if Tom Delay or George Bush had said it?

So hear ye, hear ye: Only liberals and Democrats are allowed to use racial slurs. Everyone else who does it will be killed.

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
Hmmmmm. Two has-been, irrelevant publicity seekers making headlines. Must be a slow news day.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
A few years ago I ran across a Greatest Hits album by David Allan Coe. I always liked "You Never Even Call Me By My Name" and "Would You Lay With Me in a Field of Stone" (which he wrote for Tanya Tucker), so I looked at the CD case. The N-word was in the title of at least a quarter of the songs. :yikes: I read later that Coe apparently hooked up with some hardcore racist biker groups and began catering to them in his music. As the story went, he later disavowed those songs. I don't know if that's true.

Firefly

And John Lennon wrote Woman is the ###### of the World. It's a word we give it power. Nader didn't call someone a ######, he said he felt like one.

I agree that you don't compare the plight of a rich white man with the equal rights movement. That was very poor judgment. And you don't compare our enemies to Hitler, but everyone seems to be doing that too.

We need to expect more from our public figures. His comment weren't racist, just stupid.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Firefly said:
And John Lennon wrote Woman is the ###### of the World. It's a word we give it power. Nader didn't call someone a ######, he said he felt like one.

I agree that you don't compare the plight of a rich white man with the equal rights movement. That was very poor judgment. And you don't compare our enemies to Hitler, but everyone seems to be doing that too.

We need to expect more from our public figures. His comment weren't racist, just stupid.
I agree. Blacks have tried to defang the word by using it among themselves, as a sign of cultural solidarity. But Richard Pryor vowed in the '80s never to use the word again, and I respect him for that.

Can you imagine if Tom Delay or George Bush had said it?
Yeah, I hate the hypocritical double standard, too. There have been politicians from both parties using this language, from Jesse Jackson's "Hymietown" remark to Richard Nixon's bigoted ramblings on the White House tapes.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Tonio said:
A few years ago I ran across a Greatest Hits album by David Allan Coe. I always liked "You Never Even Call Me By My Name" and "Would You Lay With Me in a Field of Stone" (which he wrote for Tanya Tucker), so I looked at the CD case. The N-word was in the title of at least a quarter of the songs. :yikes: I read later that Coe apparently hooked up with some hardcore racist biker groups and began catering to them in his music. As the story went, he later disavowed those songs. I don't know if that's true.
I have a bunch of those songs, and if you can get past the racism and realize he's singing tongue-in-cheek (I hope!) they're pretty freakin' hilarious. :killingme

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member

ylexot

Super Genius
"Nader is not a racist by any stretch of the imagination," Sharpton told me yesterday. "He has a good track record. But he ought to be sensitive that he does not sanitize that word."
:confused: Sanitize? Does Al know what that word means? I can't figure out what he's trying to say in that statement.

willie

It is a sad state of affairs that a low life like Al Sharpton gets any recognition at all. After the slanderous Tawana Brawley (sp?) fiasco showing exactly what the scumbag is made of, why would anyone want to be associated with him?