The Heavier Riders’ Guide

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Got this from another email list member:
Good article. There is a little more that was not mentioned. And as for a larger rider making a horse pacey, it is possible if they are causing the poor horse to ventroflex (hollow back) via the things mentioned - but I can tell you that there is a very large person who rides Peruvians in shows and that persons personal horse has won everything there is to win at the national level and is double Laureado. That person can out ride any of us. Oh and the National Champion horse is 14.3h.

My 14.2 h stocky PERUVIAN Paso (not "Paso" Fino)can carry a lot more weight and for a longer distance than a 16h long backed, narrow loined TB, for example. It isn't just the cannon bone, although as mentioned, that is important. But there is more to the conformation part of carrying the larger rider.

THe Icelandic horse is capable of carrying a large rider, but since they are a short breed, of course the height of the rider is an aesthetic consideration. A nieghbor of mine is 5'9" and 250 lbs and he rides and breeds icelandic horses.
Would a big long backed TB handle being ridden by hm? Not for long, IME.
Dr. Deb Bennett also has a great article on larger riders.
I will try and locate it.

I am sure some of you have seen it.
Linda
Please visit our horses at Sunny Heights Ranch:
http://community.webshots.com/user/sunnyheightsranch

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
my...my...he has a big but :lol:

nice job! the first time i pulled it up, the instant image button didn't show up. :biggrin: