The John McCaim tribute extravaganza!!!

MiddleGround

I know John McCain served his country. I know he was a P.O.W.

My question is... do other ex-military serving Senators get the same kind of 5-star memorial service that McCain is getting?? Seems to me that he is getting the 'Sitting President of the USA just died in office as a national hero' treatment.

Politics aside... do you think he deserves all of the hub-bub?

Grumpy

My question is... do other ex-military serving Senators get the same kind of 5-star memorial service that McCain is getting?? Seems to me that he is getting the 'Sitting President of the USA just died in office as a national hero' treatment.

No.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Yes, and no. He's not the first Senator to be granted such a ceremony.

I am not referring to the eulogies and opinions of the speakers- but he is entitled to the military honors and lying in state in the Capitol Rotunda. Like him or or not, he has earned those by his service to both the military and the US Congress.

Lying in state is the rare honor granted by the United States to a deceased official whereby his or her remains are placed in the rotunda of the United States Capitol in Washington, D.C., for public viewing. The casket is guarded by members of the armed forces. By regulation and custom, only Presidents, military commanders, and members of Congress are granted the honor of lying in state. Except for Presidents and former Presidents, the honor is not automatic. Not all those entitled to the honor have it accepted by their survivors. The first leader to receive this honor was Henry Clay, former Speaker of the House of Representatives, when he died in 1852. Since then, the honor has been extended to 31 people, including eleven Presidents.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lying_in_state

I pick and choose what I care to watch. I am fascinated by the history of these occasions, so I can't completely turn away or turn it off. I am a sucker for military ceremonies, too, so I will try to at least catch a glimpse of those.

Bann

PREMO Member
He is not actually getting full military honors the rest of the time, is he?

Not sure why anyone would guard him; are they worried the body will be stolen?

Oh, come on, now! We really don't have to like someone at all in order for them to be entitled to those types of customs. A body lying in state would not be left unguarded. It's just a sign of respect.

This_person

Oh, come on, now! We really don't have to like someone at all in order for them to be entitled to those types of customs. A body lying in state would not be left unguarded. It's just a sign of respect.

I'm sure he was a nice guy and all, and I might have liked him. But, I have essentially zero overall respect for him.

Bann

PREMO Member
I'm sure he was a nice guy and all, and I might have liked him. But, I have essentially zero overall respect for him.

Mind you, I have no love for John McCain. I'm just saying that his military and government service does entitle him to certain honors.

Hijinx

I got a glimpse of the viewing in Arizona, they had a closed casket with a flag on it.
I have seen a lot of my friends laid out that way, Just speaking for myself I wouldn't go to Washington DC if it's a closed casket.

glhs837

Power with Control
Yeah, spending five years in a POW camp getting tortured is a bit different than the previous lives on Senators.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
McCain's dead. His tenure has ended. I respect his military service, not so much his lifetime Senate job, although he did vote about 85% of everything Trump proposed, and I'm sure probably the same for Bush. Let him go, and lets move on and get an AZ senator that is really conservative.

ginwoman

Nope
Be glad when its over

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
mccain.jpg

Bann

PREMO Member
I don't know if you're watched or not, but as there was a piece of plastic, like something that would cover the full length of the flag from the weather I assume over the casket. It flew up as they carried it out of the rotunda and hit one of the pall bearers full in the face covering his head completely like a bridal veil. The poor guy had to get the casket down the steps, over to the car, and wait until one of the other pall bearers uncovered his head knocking his hat off in the process.

That my friend is discipline.

Oh wow. That is discipline! They train for all that, though. My ex did military funeral detail for about a year. Much respect and pure love of country goes into those ceremonies.

No, we have not seen any of today's proceedings. We have been beachin' it all morning. However, we are going in soon and FH's dad said yesterday he was going to be watching the funeral. (due to Joe Biden and his speaking at it) :jet:

We chuckled to ourselves last night when his dad said "The Republican party died with John McCain."

Yeahhhh, okay! :killingme