The Judge Has Arrived!

belvak

Happy Camper
Hubby picked up his Taurus "The Judge," stainless steel, 3 inch barrel today. He and Son are talking gun talk. My head is swimming! :lol: Can't wait to go to the range with them and actually try to shoot it!!!! It really is very pretty!! :dance:

mus

Hubby picked up his Taurus "The Judge," stainless steel, 3 inch barrel today. He and Son are talking gun talk. My head is swimming! :lol: Can't wait to go to the range with them and actually try to shoot it!!!! It really is very pretty!! :dance:

Did he buy it at the Cracker Box??

somdshootnet

My wife and I both own Taurus revolvers. I have the 17SS6 - 17 HMR and she has the SS627 - 357 Magnum. We got both of them at Fred's in Waldorf, they are always the cheapest place around.

I have not had any dealings with Accurate, assuming that's who he got it from in Loveville, but, I'd be curious of the price and how Accurate is to deal with, I have not heard much about them and there has been some small talk on the SMST forums about it, but, I would like to know more. I hear the hours of business are really short ?

However, the Taurus revolvers are excellent guns and we love to shoot them. My wife is paper target happy, wish there were more women shooters in the area, I would like to see a womens group started on a regular basis. I hunt tree rats with the 17 HMR dead on the money.

belvak

Happy Camper
I have not had any dealings with Accurate, assuming that's who he got it from in Loveville, but, I'd be curious of the price and how Accurate is to deal with, I have not heard much about them and there has been some small talk on the SMST forums about it, but, I would like to know more. I hear the hours of business are really short ?

It was indeed Accurate. They were very nice and helpful in there. When Hubby first stopped in, they didn't have any stainless ones in stock, so they said they would add one to their order for him. It took a little while (evidently they are selling like hot cakes), but they called when it came in. I believe he payed $599 for it. Can't remember for sure, but that is pretty close. When we went to fill out the paper work (all 1000 pages :lol:), several customers came and went. From what I heard, they sound like they go out of their way to help people looking for special things or gunsmithing. I hope they do well. It's nice to not have to run down to Tackle Box or up to Fred's, and we always like to support our local businesses and help the "little guy."

somdshootnet

Hope he enjoys it, IMO it is a gimmick for most applications.

I have to agree. The only practical use I could see in a hunting situation would be short range tree rat gathering from the tree stand. I also see some target shooting with the use of the 410 slug, but, I can find cheaper ways to shoot paper, 410 slugs are not cheap. If it is the 4510TKR-3SS Mag model, then you can use the buck shot for home defense, but, I have better options to bust a cap in a home invaders ass, he can come in, but, he won't be leaving under his own power...

However, with all that said, If it's good enough for Max Payne, then it's good enough for... For those who don't know, the Taurus Judge was featured in the movie Max Payne.

somdshootnet

It was indeed Accurate. They were very nice and helpful in there. When Hubby first stopped in, they didn't have any stainless ones in stock, so they said they would add one to their order for him. It took a little while (evidently they are selling like hot cakes), but they called when it came in. I believe he payed $599 for it. Can't remember for sure, but that is pretty close. When we went to fill out the paper work (all 1000 pages :lol:), several customers came and went. From what I heard, they sound like they go out of their way to help people looking for special things or gunsmithing. I hope they do well. It's nice to not have to run down to Tackle Box or up to Fred's, and we always like to support our local businesses and help the "little guy."

Sounds like good service. The price is way over the top though, good lord, I see they price their guns just like the Tackle Box does, MSRP. I bought my Taurus revolver and my wifes Taurus revolver from Fred's for $375.00 each
(this is why I bought them from Fred's and not SMF or Tackle Box, their prices are simply ridiculous, and I bought the revolvers 2 years apart, and I did call every other gun dealer first, including TB and SMF, and Fred's still beat them all by at least $150.00) So, with that said, Hubby certainly supported the little guy on this one.

It does take awhile for Taurus pistols and revolvers to arrive, but, it is not due to "selling like hot cakes", so, we'll lay that thought to rest here too.

NOTE:
This includes Taurus and Rossi firearms, they are both manufactured by Taurus and the processes are the same for both names.

Reason 1:
Taurus Tracker revolvers are made in Italy, they are all built upon order only. The reason it takes so long for them to arrive is, they have to be made and then shipped to the U.S. and then shipped to the dealer. This process can up to 3-4 months. All of the Tracker models are designed on the same frame, but, they still have to machine the barrel and the cylinder for the specific caliber that was ordered, they do not mass produce these guns and hope they sell, they make it when you order it, yes, this does include the 410 Judge models, nothing is pre-made at Taurus.

Reason 2:
Accurate most likely does not have a business account with Taurus, most local gun shops do not, this is what takes so long, the dealer has to meet a minimum order requirement before they can place the order with Taurus, so, it could be months before they have enough people ordering Taurus guns to even place the order. So, if you decide you want a Taurus firearm, ask the dealer first if they have a dealer account with Taurus, this will save you a lot of useless questions and several months.

Any FFL can order from Taurus, but, it could be months before they place your order, so, be warned about this, they won't tell you, but, your deposit looks good in their bank account.

As for the 1000 pages of paperwork... thank the government and the anti-hunters and anti-gunners for this process, and all the idiots who think guns kill people.

Hope this information helps someone in the future with a Taurus firearm purchase, I've already been through it, several times.

Chrispy83

Most Taurus’s are made in Brazil.

Another source of delay in purchasing a new handgun in MD is that all new handguns sold in MD have to have a spent/fired cartridge included when the hand gun is sold/registered to the new buyer. Some manufacturers do not provide a spent cart with their guns. The dealer then has to have an authorized entity fire the weapon and provide the spent cart at time of sale.

Sounds like good service. The price is way over the top though, good lord, I see they price their guns just like the Tackle Box does, MSRP. I bought my Taurus revolver and my wifes Taurus revolver from Fred's for $375.00 each

Hope this information helps someone in the future with a Taurus firearm purchase, I've already been through it, several times.

I dunno, the Judges at Able ammo are running around $700 if I'm not mistaken.

ylexot

Super Genius

There are a bunch on Gunbroker for <$500. Of course, as Chrsipy83 mentioned, you'd need to check for the stupid spent cartridge requirement and then transfer it through an FFL.

somdshootnet

That would make the case even worse LOL. I have priced several items through Able's in the past. I recently had a really bad experience with them and I don't think I will going back, they are expensive anyway. However, we are still lacking the details as to exactly which model it is here, so, we can not chew heads about it yet. Taurus make s a few models with Stainless 3" barrels.

Last edited:

somdshootnet

Most Taurus’s are made in Brazil.

Another source of delay in purchasing a new handgun in MD is that all new handguns sold in MD have to have a spent/fired cartridge included when the hand gun is sold/registered to the new buyer. Some manufacturers do not provide a spent cart with their guns. The dealer then has to have an authorized entity fire the weapon and provide the spent cart at time of sale.

I do have to apologize for that one, I did say Italy, and I did mean Brazil. Don't know where I got Italy, but, it still is not in the USA LOL.

Pushrod

Patriot
I have purchased several firearms from Accurate Arms, Mark and his wife were a pleasure to do business with. Yes, they definetly don't have the lowest prices in the state, but they are local and that goes a long way.

ylexot

Super Genius
I've used Cromwell Firearms a few times. Nick has good prices and is a nice guy. He sells out of his home off of Chancellor's. He doesn't have many guns in stock (usually some AR's and some other pistols and rifles), but he'll order whatever you want. He used to do transfers too, but last time I was there (August maybe?), he said that there was so much normal business that he stopped doing transfers.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
I've used Cromwell Firearms a few times. Nick has good prices and is a nice guy. He sells out of his home off of Chancellor's. He doesn't have many guns in stock (usually some AR's and some other pistols and rifles), but he'll order whatever you want. He used to do transfers too, but last time I was there (August maybe?), he said that there was so much normal business that he stopped doing transfers.

That sucks to hear, I've done about 7-8 transfers through him and he was my main go to guy in this area.

ylexot

Super Genius
That sucks to hear, I've done about 7-8 transfers through him and he was my main go to guy in this area.

You could always ask. Things may have slowed down by now. My first dealing with him was a transfer of a Remington 700 with a 5R barrel a few years ago. :yay: