The knee jerks didn't take long

nutz

No, we can't. The opportunity is lost. Gone. We can't even get rid of the freaking penny, stop subsidizing sugar and ethanol nor resist the urge to have ever more government control over everything from social issues to economic to what the right to 'keep AND bear arms' means.

We've proven that misery loves company. We do NOT want things to get better. We just want to exact our own pound of flesh and oppress someone else because we can't see past our own prejudices, prides and short sighted self interest. If I can't do X then, buy thunder, he can't do y!

The proper response is to fight for the right to do X because it is right and proper, not trying and make two wrongs into some sort of bastardized 'right'.

We're a nation of 8 year olds. Lead by an 8 year old.

:shrug:

:high5:

abcxyz

Would if they did allow the trip to happen and some thing happened? The person that ok'ed the trip would have a worse fate than the Boston Bomber is going to have.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Would if they did allow the trip to happen and some thing happened? The person that ok'ed the trip would have a worse fate than the Boston Bomber is going to have.

No they wouldn't. Each child's parents make the final decision on whether or not their child will go on the trip.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Would if they did allow the trip to happen and some thing happened? .

"something" might happen at any time, anywhere in the entire country. What just happened in Boston illustrates that but it does not in any way shape or form change the probability or chance of it. Does not increase it, decrease it or otherwise affect it in any way.

They might as well cancel forever outdoor recess to avoid the chance of a kid being struck by falling space debris.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
"something" might happen at any time, anywhere in the entire country. What just happened in Boston illustrates that but it does not in any way shape or form change the probability or chance of it. Does not increase it, decrease it or otherwise affect it in any way.

They might as well cancel forever outdoor recess to avoid the chance of a kid being struck by falling space debris.

American's are optimists by nature and notoriously horrible at math including probability and statistics. We buy lottery tickets, trust in Wall Street, we worry about all sorts of 'preventable' calamities and we think every and anything is the business of the federal government because someone must...do something! Anything!

:jameo:

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill

They did cancel outdoor recess in '02 when the sniper was on the loose.

I did also hear that the museums in DC are going to start doing rolling closures or something due to the sequestration/budget cuts. Maybe that has something to do with cancelling DC field trips. Too much of a PITA to schedule a trip to Air & Space only to find out it's closed that day. :shrug:

BigBlue

No, we can't. The opportunity is lost. Gone. We can't even get rid of the freaking penny, stop subsidizing sugar and ethanol nor resist the urge to have ever more government control over everything from social issues to economic to what the right to 'keep AND bear arms' means.

We've proven that misery loves company. We do NOT want things to get better. We just want to exact our own pound of flesh and oppress someone else because we can't see past our own prejudices, prides and short sighted self interest. If I can't do X then, buy thunder, he can't do y!

The proper response is to fight for the right to do X because it is right and proper, not trying and make two wrongs into some sort of bastardized 'right'.

We're a nation of 8 year olds. Lead by an 8 year old.

:shrug:

The sky is falling, the ski is falling!!! You and the other internet bullies need to grow up.

mamatutu

mama to two
You couldn't figure that out for yourself?:shutup:

With all due respect, BB, you need a post interpreter. I was commenting that my husband and I agreed with MMDad. Also, I see you called Larry a bully. Now, that is funny! :roflmao: He is not in the same time zone as a bully. Actually, a bully is how I perceive you.

Oh, one more thing. You didn't go to Annapolis for the hearings on gun rights like Larry did. Ummm..., because you think our illustrious King Obama has all the answers, and your best interest at heart; well, think, again. I respect all that post here in the respect that we all have individual opinions; but, if you cannot see through what Obama is doing, then, you need to adjust your GPS...recalculating. I want to think you are a lost soul, and do not know what you do, or say. Again, I will say that even though I did not vote for Obama, I had high hopes that he WAS the ONE! Not. He will go down in history as the most inept and divisive POTUS in US history. His heart is not with America; he is not a patriot, and, no, I am not a 'birther'.

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
The sky is falling, the ski is falling!!! You and the other internet bullies need to grow up.

How so? Do you disagree that the US has transformed, dramatically, in the last decade?

Consider.

The Gulf War in 1991 buried the ghosts of Vietnam, the premise that we'd forgotten how to win. Agreed?

The Clinton years began a recurring nightmare of accepting direct attacks on the US as 'criminal acts' and not acts of war. Agreed? '93 attack on the towers. The USS Cole. The attack on two US embassies in Africa, the battle in Somalia (Black Hawk Down).

The Bush years, 9/11, the incredible expansion of government power, scope and cost. The loss, (I don't see how you can call them anything but) of two wars, the take over of the US economy that started under Bush and has continued under Obama, I mean, all of it.

I'm not talking about a falling sky. That's done, isn't it? Isn't there a new world order where the US is, clearly, in decline?

I mean, argue otherwise. Feel free.

abcxyz

No they wouldn't. Each child's parents make the final decision on whether or not their child will go on the trip.

Okay, so a parent decides to let their child go and then some thing happens, the person that ok'ed the trip would have a worse fate than the Boston Bomber is going to have. Ok'ed the trip as in didn't stop the entire trip from happening, not as in a single or certain student from going....

You are a lot more optimistic than I if you don't think that if a parent signed the permission slip to let their child go and some thing happened that said parent wouldn't be all over a lawsuit and want blood on the court house steps.

I agree, ban every thing. Liberal reaction is instead of banning bombs and murder they will ban the marathon and make this a run-free zone.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Okay, so a parent decides to let their child go and then some thing happens, the person that ok'ed the trip would have a worse fate than the Boston Bomber is going to have. Ok'ed the trip as in didn't stop the entire trip from happening, not as in a single or certain student from going....

You are a lot more optimistic than I if you don't think that if a parent signed the permission slip to let their child go and some thing happened that said parent wouldn't be all over a lawsuit and want blood on the court house steps.

Your thinking makes no sense. Bad things can happen on field trips at any time. If we go your way, we'll just ban field trip all together, forever. In 2005, I was chaperoning a field trip to DC with 3rd graders. Next thing you know, all the buildings are being evacuated. Found out that there was an un ID'd aircraft in the area. Believe it or not, none of us parents blamed the school for having the trip. The fact is, now is the best time for a trip to DC because of the heightened awareness.

MMDad

Lem Putt

The only way they'd have a lawsuit is if there was a specific threat or warning that was ignored. If there were warnings that people should stay away from DC, but they went anyway, they would be liable. Since there were no warnings or even threats, there is no way they'd have a case.

We can't shut down every facet of our lives just because there was one incident hundreds of miles away, with no reason to believe that the threat is any more widespread.

Kids live in and go to school in DC. It is illogical to say that taking kids to DC where children walk, play, and learn is unsafe just because we are from the suburbs.

This bombing showed that the threat is not where you think it is, it is where you would never expect it to be. I'd even go so far as to say that right now DC is probably safer than it has been in years since everyone is watching a little closer.

MMDad

Lem Putt
By the way, I'm sure that cancelling the trips really does have nothing to do with threats, risk, or fear of lawsuits. It is to keep the panicky helicopter parents from freaking out, calling everyone in the school system to complain, camping out at the school board offices, and generally being huge PITA's.

This is why we can't have good things.

DipStick

Keep Calm and Don't Care!
School field trips to DC are cancelled in Calvert.

The idea of terrorism is not to kill people, it is to make us fearful and change our lives because we are too skeered of the miniscule probability that something could happen. It worked.

The terrorists won long ago when we willfully let the government stomp all our civil liberties in the same of security after 9/11. Not only did the terrorists win, that's when we opened the door to government intruding on all our rights and citizens of this country allow it until it impacts their rights.