The lesson of Job

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
When Christians feel attacked, look to Job.
Job 1

Job's Character and Wealth

<sup id="en-NASB-12871">1</sup>There was a man in the land of Uz whose name was Job; and that man was blameless, upright, fearing God and turning away from evil. <sup id="en-NASB-12872">2</sup>Seven sons and three daughters were born to him.

<sup id="en-NASB-12873">3</sup>His possessions also were 7,000 sheep, 3,000 camels, 500 yoke of oxen, 500 female donkeys, and very many servants; and that man was the greatest of all the men of the east.

<sup id="en-NASB-12874">4</sup>His sons used to go and hold a feast in the house of each one on his day, and they would send and invite their three sisters to eat and drink with them.

<sup id="en-NASB-12875">5</sup>When the days of feasting had completed their cycle, Job would send and consecrate them, rising up early in the morning and offering burnt offerings according to the number of them all; for Job said, "Perhaps my sons have sinned and cursed God in their hearts." Thus Job did continually.

<sup id="en-NASB-12876">6</sup>Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan also came among them.

<sup id="en-NASB-12877">7</sup>The LORD said to Satan, "From where do you come?" Then Satan answered the LORD and said, "From roaming about on the earth and walking around on it."

<sup id="en-NASB-12878">8</sup>The LORD said to Satan, "Have you considered My servant Job? For there is no one like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man, fearing God and turning away from evil."

<sup id="en-NASB-12879">9</sup>Then Satan answered the LORD, "Does Job fear God for nothing?

<sup id="en-NASB-12880">10</sup>"Have You not made a hedge about him and his house and all that he has, on every side? You have blessed the work of his hands, and his possessions have increased in the land.

<sup id="en-NASB-12881">11</sup>"But put forth Your hand now and touch all that he has; he will surely curse You to Your face."

<sup id="en-NASB-12882">12</sup>Then the LORD said to Satan, "Behold, all that he has is in your power, only do not put forth your hand on him." So Satan departed from the presence of the LORD.

Satan Allowed to Test Job

<sup id="en-NASB-12883">13</sup>Now on the day when his sons and his daughters were eating and drinking wine in their oldest brother's house, <sup id="en-NASB-12884">14</sup>a messenger came to Job and said, "The oxen were plowing and the donkeys feeding beside them,

<sup id="en-NASB-12885">15</sup>and the Sabeans attacked and took them. They also slew the servants with the edge of the sword, and I alone have escaped to tell you."

<sup id="en-NASB-12886">16</sup>While he was still speaking, another also came and said, "The fire of God fell from heaven and burned up the sheep and the servants and consumed them, and I alone have escaped to tell you."

<sup id="en-NASB-12887">17</sup>While he was still speaking, another also came and said, "The Chaldeans formed three bands and made a raid on the camels and took them and slew the servants with the edge of the sword, and I alone have escaped to tell you."

<sup id="en-NASB-12888">18</sup>While he was still speaking, another also came and said, "Your sons and your daughters were eating and drinking wine in their oldest brother's house,

<sup id="en-NASB-12889">19</sup>and behold, a great wind came from across the wilderness and struck the four corners of the house, and it fell on the young people and they died, and I alone have escaped to tell you."

<sup id="en-NASB-12890">20</sup>Then Job arose and tore his robe and shaved his head, and he fell to the ground and worshiped.

<sup id="en-NASB-12891">21</sup>He said,
"Naked I came from my mother's womb,
And naked I shall return there
The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away.
Blessed be the name of the LORD."

<sup id="en-NASB-12892">22</sup>Through all this Job did not sin nor did he blame God.
What lessons do you see just in the first chapter?

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
2ndAmendment said:
His possessions also were 7,000 sheep, 3,000 camels, 500 yoke of oxen, 500 female donkeys, and very many servants; and that man was the greatest of all the men of the east.
That I'm on par with Job with my 6 dogs and 2 cats. :yay:

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
I think that the Faithful are attacked in many different ways, and mostly in order to strengthen their faith. I think also that for many people, just as with satan, they see Christians that are strong in their faith and living in good circumstances who preach the Gospel, and the reaction is probably something like, "Humph! Easy for HIM to say."

I also think that to be an effective servant for the Lord I have to be chastened from time to time, to keep me focused on who I really am (or am trying to become). In a sense then, even satan serves God's purposes; the Bible says, "And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose." (Romans 8:28)

If we don't make ourselves into living examples, others will make examples of us, and not in the way we'd prefer.

And I think that Job, a shining example of one who loves the Lord and fears Him regardless of his earthly circumstances, was attacked worse than others who love the Lord because he stood out so much. So the attacks get worse as you grow in your faith; and your ability through Christ to fend them off grows with you.

H

HollowSoul

2ndAmendment said:
When Christians feel attacked, look to Job.
that job's farm musta smelled pretty awful with all those animals poop'n all over the place.....God did him a favor in cleaning up the place :yay:

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
HollowSoul said:
that job's farm musta smelled pretty awful with all those animals poop'n all over the place.....God did him a favor in cleaning up the place :yay:
"And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose." (Romans 8:28)

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
How about these:

1) Job was "blameless, upright". How many, including me, can claim that?
2) Job had wealth and a good family. He was an example in the community.
3) Satan was Job's enemy. Satan wanted to attack Job as satan wants to attack Christians today.
4) God did not strike Job; He did allow satan to strike Job's possessions and family. God did so because He had confidence in Job's faith.
5) When wealth and family was taken from Job, job still worshiped God.

I observe from the account of Job in chapter 1 that satan accuses the followers of God. Satan does not have to bother with the people that do not follow God's way, because satan already has them. Satan, through those that he has (even if they don't acknowledge it) and directly, attacks believers in order to try to shake their faith or distract them from the Great Commission and what God's mission is in the believer's life. When Christians are attacked, we must persevere in our faith in God.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
I like the way the Book of Job ends. God restores Job two fold.

Job 42

God Restores Job's Fortunes

<sup id="en-NASB-13933">10</sup>The LORD restored the fortunes of Job when he prayed for his friends, and the LORD increased all that Job had twofold. <sup id="en-NASB-13934">11</sup>Then all his brothers and all his sisters and all who had known him before came to him, and they ate bread with him in his house; and they consoled him and comforted him for all the adversities that the LORD had brought on him. And each one gave him one piece of money, and each a ring of gold.

<sup id="en-NASB-13935">12</sup>The LORD blessed the latter days of Job more than his beginning; and he had 14,000 sheep and 6,000 camels and 1,000 yoke of oxen and 1,000 female donkeys.

<sup id="en-NASB-13936">13</sup>He had seven sons and three daughters.

<sup id="en-NASB-13937">14</sup>He named the first Jemimah, and the second Keziah, and the third Keren-happuch.

<sup id="en-NASB-13938">15</sup>In all the land no women were found so fair as Job's daughters; and their father gave them inheritance among their brothers.

<sup id="en-NASB-13939">16</sup>After this, Job lived 140 years, and saw his sons and his grandsons, four generations.

<sup id="en-NASB-13940">17</sup>And Job died, an old man and full of days.
What does this teach believers?

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
It teaches me that staying the course with God, being faithful to Him through thick and thin, will result in huge blessings. In Job's case, the blessings began here on earth and lasted another 140 years; for others the blessings might only happen after they leave this earth, but we WILL be blessed many times over for our small sacrifices and our faith.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Railroad said:
It teaches me that staying the course with God, being faithful to Him through thick and thin, will result in huge blessings. In Job's case, the blessings began here on earth and lasted another 140 years; for others the blessings might only happen after they leave this earth, but we WILL be blessed many times over for our small sacrifices and our faith.
:yay:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The story of Job has always told me that God's gonna do what he wants, no matter how faithful or devout you are. So you might as well not bother trying to please Him because he'll let Satan destroy you anyway.

And the ending is crap because think about it: If your children were killed, would it make it up if you got another set?