The little green B*sta**ds are back

General Lee

What is up with these inch worms? Same as last year. I am literally swarmed with them. Millions upon millions, constantly walking through silk webs, worm poop on everything and even sounds like its lightly raining in the woods from the crapping. There numbers are not normal.

glhs837

Power with Control
So far havent seen anything like the numbers we saw last year. I can hear them in the woods, and here we are surrounded by almost all woods, to the tune of a few hundred acres. Last year this time, they were like a rain shower, this year, it's a sprinkle.

Hannibal

What do you mean "hear them"? I have them all over my house as well and I have woods all behind my property - but I am not aware of any noise they make. Perhaps I am just not listening for them?

Bonehead

What do you mean "hear them"? I have them all over my house as well and I have woods all behind my property - but I am not aware of any noise they make. Perhaps I am just not listening for them?

When the concentrations of the worms are high in a localized area you can hear their droppings and it sounds like rain.

General Lee

I'm want to know why the worm concentration is so high the past 2 years? Never, ever in my lifetime have I seen it like this.

Christy

b*tch rocket
So far havent seen anything like the numbers we saw last year. I can hear them in the woods, and here we are surrounded by almost all woods, to the tune of a few hundred acres. Last year this time, they were like a rain shower, this year, it's a sprinkle.

:yeahthat: Last year was straight out of a horror movie, this year, not so bad (yet).

I was hoping they'd ALL die this Winter. No such luck. :ohwell:

General Lee

I love watching these things "inch" their way around..super cool to watch them move around.

You'd feel different if your area was infested with them. Where you are constantly walking through their strings of web, cleaning their crap off of everything you own and them killing your trees.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
They ate one of my plants already and I am very ticked about it. Now it looks like a dead tree instead of the beautiful purple-leafed maple it was a few weeks ago. :ohwell:

As far as I am concerned, they can eat every fricken leaf off my trees in the woods behind my house but not the ones next to my house. They won't listen to reason. :doh:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
You'd feel different if your area was infested with them. Where you are constantly walking through their strings of web, cleaning their crap off of everything you own and them killing your trees.

Friend of mine stopped by the shop yesterday and was telling me how incredibly thick they are in Oakville, where he lives. As soon as you are outside, ..covered with them. As we're standing there talking and remarking on how few there are at my place, we notice a bunch of the little bastids dropping off of his truck. They hung on all the way down the road...

Great. Now they'll probably take off here too.

Mr_Bond_Got_Em

You're probably right. I've seen a decent amount in our area (back of Town Creek) but for the most part haven't felt that they are overwhelmingly around? I guess I'd better be careful what I ask for.

DeeCee

A horse of course!
They're Spring Cankerworms. I haven't noticed Fall cankers at my place (yet)
https://www.cabarruscounty.us/gover.../lawn-garden/Pages/Cankerworm-Prevention.aspx

We had them like you're describing for two years in a row - their poop dropping sounded like rain YUK. Two years ago they weren't awfully too close to the house (we're on 26 acres surrounded by 200 acres of woods), then last year they covered EVERYTHING and i mean every single thing and every where. I had to wave a stick in front of me to walk out the door. My driveway looked like something from a horror movie! It was disgusting - I definately feel for you.

We had someone from the county in charge of spraying for pests come out during the height of it and all he could say was....YUP...this is the worst I've ever seen. Sorry can't help you they're not gypsy moths. :burning:

I asked the same questions you're asking. I got zilch from arial pest companies because (they said) they're short term and don't do too much damage. You couldn't prove that by me last year, every single hardwood tree up close to my house was nekkid..the buggers had stripped them bare. I could have cried, i was so frustrated and angry. I ENJOYED EVERY SQUISH, SQUIRT and STOMP I did for weeks and I'm generally a peaceful, non-violent person :lol:

I've seen them this year but absolutely nothing like they were last year - I keep waiting for the rest to come...I'm hoping they've moved to higher ground....could that be possible? Or are they only just beginning?

The only bright spot was we had a TON of happy songbirds with lots and lots of babies...it was a veritable buffet for them!

Last edited:

General Lee

They seem to be reaching max numbers around me right now. Horrible outside. I've been on the phone w/ multiple agencies and I just get the run around. Typical state bureaucrap stuff. They have no problem taxing me for rain but I can't get a spray service so I can enjoy property that they tax the hell out of.

A lot of trees will not be able to survive 2 or 3 years in row of defoliation. This is year 2.

Sweet 16

^^8^^
I had one hitch a ride with me to Waldorf and back. I found him on my leg and tried to scoop him up and fling him out the car window and he wound up on my side mirror and rode all the way back home with me!