The Men Who Built America

kara teoke

Not in SOMD any more
Great mini series. If you haven't watched it on History yet then check out the marathon on Sunday.

mamatutu

mama to two
We stumbled across the series, and love it; it is fascinating. Just an example is to think how things would have been so different if JD Rockefeller had not missed the train that wrecked. These are the kind of shows children should be watching. JMO

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Great mini series. If you haven't watched it on History yet then check out the marathon on Sunday.

It is fascinating stuff. It's really interesting considering how great they were, the amazing things they built, their empires, how it grew the nation and then considering just how vicious they were and how screwed up that type of person is, the enormous appetite, the need for domination and how little everything they did had to do with anyone's benefit but their own. Then, you consider how that is so much like nature, how only one male can win, where every day is life or death.

THEN, it makes me wonder how could we have evolved any other way. When we were agrarian, a mans desires, need to win, could be satisfied and limited, naturally once you had a pretty big farm, pretty big shop, that sort of thing. When you did so much with your own two hands, it satisfied you. There was really only so much one could do. However, once the industrial revolution came about, the power of all those industries, rail, steel, oil, it gave these guys enormous reach and unthinkable power. The ultimate survival of the fittest. And it's not all good. Far from it.

Fascinating stuff.

Blister

I think it is an interesting show. However it is driving me crazy when after every commercial break they recap the story for five minutes. Reshowing what you just saw before the commercial. Either they are just cheap and using the same foortage over and over, or they assume their audience can't retain anything during a two minute break.

So_what

Yes I'm an MPD, But who's
Best series I've seen for a while on the tube. (is it a tube any more?):shrug:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I havent watched it yet, is it as good as hatfields and mccoys?

Interesting you should say that because there are similarities; big central personalities, winner take all struggle instead of finding ways to coexist peacefully. Historical accuracy.

Hatfields and McCoy's, I would say, is more entertaining, more story, whereas the The men who built America has more of a documentary feel. But, the subject matter is pretty similar.

slotpuppy

Ass-hole
Interesting you should say that because there are similarities; big central personalities, winner take all struggle instead of finding ways to coexist peacefully. Historical accuracy.

Hatfields and McCoy's, I would say, is more entertaining, more story, whereas the The men who built America has more of a documentary feel. But, the subject matter is pretty similar.

:yay: Thanks, gonna set the dvr to record it this weekend.