The most cliche thing EVER

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
100* out and...yes, my A/C went out. :hot:

The guy is here right now and of course there's a weekend service charge but it's 95* in the house, so that's that. I always wondered how often that happens...apparently more than I thought because they were quite busy.

Update: the blower motor is burnt out and he can't get it until Monday.

:faint:

But my co-worker has a cooling unit that he's bringing over to make it tolerable in here.

What a ridiculous thing to have happen. :mad:

TPD

the poor dad
I would say I feel your pain but I don't, because my AC is blowing cold air. So cold, I think I'm gonna shut it off this evening and open the windows. We've had some great sleeping weather nights.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I always wondered how often that happens
Well OF COURSE it's not going to fail when you don't need it, because it's turned off!! :lol:

Same thing happened to me a few years back, it was a couple of hot days before I got the system replaced, but I had a window unit which helped at night.

rio

I have felt your pain! Last summer I went to my Mom's in SE Kansas to help her until she could get into rehab. After she went to rehab I knew the house would be empty for awhile so I set the air to 80. When I returned 3 weeks later the thermostat said 84. Well, it was over 100 outside and it is an older unit so it does lag sometimes. Turned it down to 78 to start, kept getting warmer and warmer, so I turned it off. Found a number for an AC guy who thank GOD could get there that evening. It was 97 inside when he got there. Luckily he was able to do a temporary fix till he could come back the next day so it cooled down to 85 by the time I went to bed.

rio

Cool washcloths on my neck and wrists helped me some.

Or, just close the blinds (or leave them open, i don't live across the street from you), go get a cold shower, and then go lay buck naked under a ceiling fan. I did that after the AC guy left.

mitzi

Over the years mine seemed to always to go out on a long holiday weekend when it was close to 100 degrees. Once was the 4th of July long weekend with a newborn baby.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
What are you doing for your puppy? Cool wet rags for its paws will help her a lot.

It's down to a manageable 80*. Her problem is the big cooling unit in the living room that wasn't there before and she's certain it's going to kill us all.

:lol:

If it's too terrible tomorrow I'll pack up the pooch and go to a hotel. Too funny, I didn't even have A/C growing up - we had a box fan.... "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...." :jet: so I'm trying not to be a big baby about losing my creature comfort.

SamSpade

Many years ago, at my job the AC wasn't working - and it was 90+ degrees - all day long - INDOORS.

Agency policy was something like 80+ degrees was grounds for sending us home - for the day - PAID - until it was fixed.

Uhhh - no. We had to PROVE it to them. So we got a device that recorded temperatures for 24 hour periods. It never went BELOW 90.
For a few WEEKS. FINALLY we got the asst director to step into our office. "Wow" he said - "it's really hot up here".

You could have powered the building with eyes rolling.

Most miserable month I can recall.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

Just some observations ........

How did humans survive prior to Mr. Carrier inventing A/C? Growing up we didn't have A/C in our house, so mentally, when it got real hot, it was just a normal part of summer. We had no want for A/C. The only recourse we had to deal with the heat, was to just deal with it. Maybe that is why porch swings were invented?

Get a hammock and sleep outside, if necessary hang a mosquito net. The cradling effect it has on one's sleep is amazing. One would be amazed at how the body acclimates to temperatures without artificial cooling. Or, open all the windows in the house and place fans pointing towards one's bed.

My how we have conditioned ourselves, (see what I did here), to expect air conditioning. We have tuned into such a fragile society.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
How did humans survive prior to Mr. Carrier inventing A/C? Growing up we didn't have A/C in our house, so mentally, when it got real hot, it was just a normal part of summer. We had no want for A/C.

Windows and doors open, fans in a couple of upstairs windows pulling air through the house .... drinking lots of water and sweating a lot.

The only recourse we had to deal with the heat, was to just deal with it. Maybe that is why porch swings were invented?

Old people did sooner from the heat

phreddyp

For your consideration ...

Just some observations ........

How did humans survive prior to Mr. Carrier inventing A/C? Growing up we didn't have A/C in our house, so mentally, when it got real hot, it was just a normal part of summer. We had no want for A/C. The only recourse we had to deal with the heat, was to just deal with it. Maybe that is why porch swings were invented?

Get a hammock and sleep outside, if necessary hang a mosquito net. The cradling effect it has on one's sleep is amazing. One would be amazed at how the body acclimates to temperatures without artificial cooling. Or, open all the windows in the house and place fans pointing towards one's bed.

My how we have conditioned ourselves, (see what I did here), to expect air conditioning. We have tuned into such a fragile society.
Men and women have strived to improve their living conditions for thousands of years, fires, furs, caves and wind blocks when it's cold. Caves, cool springs, loose clothing in light colors when it's hot. Box fans and swamp coolers before A/C, we do the best we can with what is available at the time. If we have softened up a bit to achieve this put me on record as I APPROVE.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Many years ago, the units in my store went out during the hottest part of the summer. It took the landlord almost two weeks to get them replaced. As I recall, we were all quite miserable and our customers didn't hang around to browse or chat!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We had no want for A/C.

Well that's not true, otherwise A/C wouldn't be so popular now. Nobody shopping for a house goes, "What's that? Central air? Yeah, I don't want to pay for that. Show me something that doesn't have any air conditioning...."

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
If it's too terrible tomorrow I'll pack up the pooch and go to a hotel.
I've told this story here before... When my ex and I first moved down here, we were trying to save a few $, so put our pop-up camper at Take it Easy and stayed there while the house was getting prepared. Hot as hades and coming from the North, we weren't used to the heat and humdidity. And it thunderstormed every night. Miserable.

Must have been totally overwhelmed by the new situation, move, new jobs, etc..... but neither one of us had the obvious thought of packing it in and going to a hotel. :doh:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
neither one of us had the obvious thought of packing it in and going to a hotel. :doh:

Not me, man. I checked yesterday and there's a room at the Sandpiper Beacon just waiting for me should I need it. But it's a perfectly fine 75* in here now, which 2 days ago I'd have thought was torture :jet: Gretel and I slept on the couch and were quite comfortable.