The New Doctor Who is.....

SamSpade

David Tennant is temporarily back for the 60th Anniversary as the 14th Doctor. Then Ncuti Gatwa takes over as the 15th Doctor. Russell T Davies is also back... at least for the Tennant tenure.
When I see people's reactions to MY reaction to Ncuti, I can see the thing that says "you just think he should always be an old white man". And you know, part of that is true. As convenient as the whole regeneration schtick was for writers - he was an older to middle aged white male for decades. Then came the run of McGann/Eccleston/Tennant/Smith with somewhat YOUNGER white males. Then we got Capaldi - older - and Scottish.

And then somewhere it got all woke and they made the Doctor a woman. I don't think I would have minded it so much - she wasn't as quirky or brilliant as the other Doctors - but that's because the stories were terrible. The first Whitaker season I was ready to give up on the show - the stories were full of woke social commentary and were more "preachy" than they were fun to watch.

So I was looking forward to the end of Whitaker's tenure - and we got a ton of rumors - and then I heard of the person who will be the next Doctor - at least, after Tennant's surprise return. And again, I'm rolling my eyes and thinking, are you planning some good stories - or checking off a box to show how "woke" you are?

This is why having Davies return matters - I can take a bad casting of the Doctor, but damn at least make the stories worth watching. I'm not British, but I can say, he's like John Wayne and Elvis to them - he's an icon.

Clem72

When I see people's reactions to MY reaction to Ncuti, I can see the thing that says "you just think he should always be an old white man". And you know, part of that is true. As convenient as the whole regeneration schtick was for writers - he was an older to middle aged white male for decades. Then came the run of McGann/Eccleston/Tennant/Smith with somewhat YOUNGER white males. Then we got Capaldi - older - and Scottish.

And then somewhere it got all woke and they made the Doctor a woman. I don't think I would have minded it so much - she wasn't as quirky or brilliant as the other Doctors - but that's because the stories were terrible. The first Whitaker season I was ready to give up on the show - the stories were full of woke social commentary and were more "preachy" than they were fun to watch.

So I was looking forward to the end of Whitaker's tenure - and we got a ton of rumors - and then I heard of the person who will be the next Doctor - at least, after Tennant's surprise return. And again, I'm rolling my eyes and thinking, are you planning some good stories - or checking off a box to show how "woke" you are?

This is why having Davies return matters - I can take a bad casting of the Doctor, but damn at least make the stories worth watching. I'm not British, but I can say, he's like John Wayne and Elvis to them - he's an icon.

I will admit I never watched the original series, but I started watching at the beginning of the more modern era. I think I must be the only person who prefers the Christopher Eccleston Doctor, though Tennant is my #2. I stopped watching half-way through the Capaldi series and never watched any of the lady-doctor.

I just can't seem to muster up the enthusiasm to catch back up with the show.

SamSpade

I will admit I never watched the original series, but I started watching at the beginning of the more modern era. I think I must be the only person who prefers the Christopher Eccleston Doctor, though Tennant is my #2. I stopped watching half-way through the Capaldi series and never watched any of the lady-doctor.

I just can't seem to muster up the enthusiasm to catch back up with the show.
Eccleston was the first new Doctor I saw, and what I liked about him was, he was always ahead of his opponents. Most of the time.

I've seen a few of the old ones - mostly Tom Baker, probably the only one of the old ones I liked. He had that mix that the current Doctors have - smart, clever - but not invincible and often unsure of what he was going to do next.

It took a big change for me to like Smith, but he quickly became my favorite and remains that way. In my mind, most of the best moments in the modern Who - were his, especially how he deals with the Atraxi in his first appearance. Ditto Capaldi - it took a lot of re-watching and I warmed up to him - especially his handling of the Zygons at the end of The Zygon Inversion.

I can't think of a single Whitaker episode I have any wish to see again. Zero. Even the villains were bad. The companios were boring. Until Amy and Rory, he usually had just ONE. With Whitaker, she had a whole gaggle, none of whom were interesting.

I do think that after Tennant's second departure, I may lose interest. After nearly 70 years - maybe it's time to retire Who, like Bond.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I almost wish they had asked Eccleston back for this short appearance but I guess that bridge was burned completely. I'm with @Clem72 that Eccleston was my favorite and that Tennant is a close #2.

I wasn't able to watch the last Smith seasons and the first Capaldi seasons because of a cable TV channel shuffling that lost BBC America for a time. I saw Whitaker's first two episodes, and like many here thought the writing was utter dreck so I stopped watching. I will watch the new Tennant episodes (I hear Catherine Tate is back as well) and will give Gatwa a chance. I pry that RTD stays on as producer and writer.

SamSpade

I almost wish they had asked Eccleston back for this short appearance but I guess that bridge was burned completely. I'm with @Clem72 that Eccleston was my favorite and that Tennant is a close #2.

I wasn't able to watch the last Smith seasons and the first Capaldi seasons because of a cable TV channel shuffling that lost BBC America for a time. I saw Whitaker's first two episodes, and like many here thought the writing was utter dreck so I stopped watching. I will watch the new Tennant episodes (I hear Catherine Tate is back as well) and will give Gatwa a chance. I pry that RTD stays on as producer and writer.
I had heard - repeatedly - that Eccleston really didn't like playing the Doctor - at all. Saw interviews - and hinted at - something - but never specified. You know, praised the people, staff, everyone - but - there was a reason. Don't know.

Later, he's had a change of heart - but departing the show the first year was his decision.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I had heard - repeatedly - that Eccleston really didn't like playing the Doctor - at all. Saw interviews - and hinted at - something - but never specified. You know, praised the people, staff, everyone - but - there was a reason. Don't know.

Later, he's had a change of heart - but departing the show the first year was his decision.
From the things I've read, it was due to tensions with the Producers (RTD?).

Plus I heard rumors about his unwillingness to speak in BBC Received Pronunciation. That doesn't make sense considering Tennant spoke in his native Scot dialect.

stgislander

PREMO Member
In what episode? I've heard - and heard him DISCUSS - having to change his accent.
CAPALDI got to speak in his native Scot, as did Karen Gillan (Amy Pond).
Then he must have toned it down because I could tell he was a Scot when he spoke. Even when he was being interviewed with either Michael Scheen from Good Omens or his wife, the accent wasn't what I'd call heavy.