The new religious right in America

This_person

Do you really expect a liberal to see a difference?

No :lol: but it is fun to point out that they don't. It's even more fun to point out that they're calling for a Christian-based government, until you DO point that out and then they just run and hide.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
this is the way it is done ....... not by robing people

Daily Wire Helps Conservatives Come Together To Fund Single Mother's Education And Childcare

"To make it short, I screwed up," Courtney told Shapiro in an email. "I discovered you a little too late in life and went against the 'three ways to succeed,'" she wrote, referencing the Brookings Institutes' "three simple rules" of staying out of poverty in America, which Shapiro often cites: "finish high school, get a full-time job and wait until age 21 to get married and have children."

"I got pregnant when I was 15," Courtney explained. With only her mother to help out, and both the baby's father and her own father out of the picture, Courtney found daycare too expensive, so she completed her GED. However, she quickly learned that many of the government programs designed to help single-mothers in their educational pursuits did not apply to her.

"All that 'help' that teenage mothers are supposed to get is a bunch of bull," wrote Courtney. The reality, she found, is that while there are programs for certain minority groups, many fall through the cracks. "I have watched this first hand and I am not sure how to overcome the blatant discrimination that runs rampant in our education system."

"I am at a complete crossroads when it comes to what kind of education I need to get, how to start being independent, including from the government, and providing a great life for my daughter," she wrote. "So, I suppose my question is: if you were in my position what would you do to ensure moderate/livable income, and a good life for my daughter?"

Shapiro offered up the idea of starting a GoFundMe account that he could promote, and committed to kicking off the donations. Ms. Blair gave it a shot and ended up being "more than blown away at all the support and love I have gotten just by a simple tweet."

This_person

this is the way it is done ....... not by robing people

Daily Wire Helps Conservatives Come Together To Fund Single Mother's Education And Childcare

"To make it short, I screwed up," Courtney told Shapiro in an email. "I discovered you a little too late in life and went against the 'three ways to succeed,'" she wrote, referencing the Brookings Institutes' "three simple rules" of staying out of poverty in America, which Shapiro often cites: "finish high school, get a full-time job and wait until age 21 to get married and have children."

"I got pregnant when I was 15," Courtney explained. With only her mother to help out, and both the baby's father and her own father out of the picture, Courtney found daycare too expensive, so she completed her GED. However, she quickly learned that many of the government programs designed to help single-mothers in their educational pursuits did not apply to her.

"All that 'help' that teenage mothers are supposed to get is a bunch of bull," wrote Courtney. The reality, she found, is that while there are programs for certain minority groups, many fall through the cracks. "I have watched this first hand and I am not sure how to overcome the blatant discrimination that runs rampant in our education system."

"I am at a complete crossroads when it comes to what kind of education I need to get, how to start being independent, including from the government, and providing a great life for my daughter," she wrote. "So, I suppose my question is: if you were in my position what would you do to ensure moderate/livable income, and a good life for my daughter?"

Shapiro offered up the idea of starting a GoFundMe account that he could promote, and committed to kicking off the donations. Ms. Blair gave it a shot and ended up being "more than blown away at all the support and love I have gotten just by a simple tweet."

Chris Rock learned what this teenage girl learned:

284dba2c7ba2c3cc34ac4c12cc873575.jpg

They say the Lord helps those who help themselves. Well, people are like that, too. No one wants to give hand-outs (and, it USED to be no one wanted to RECEIVE hand-outs), but people are more than happy to lend a HELPING hand to someone who is working hard already and needs help.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
you are, as many do, conflating what PEOPLE should do (as discussed in the Bible) and what GOVERNMENT is tasked to do.

This ^^

As an atheist, it annoys me when my fellow heathens try to twist the gospel that so many hold dear in order to make political points. The two have nothing to do with each other, or at least they're not supposed to, and it makes them look like raging hypocrites when they bitch about separation of church and state on one hand, then indicate that we're supposed to be a nation of religious Christian values on the other.

Really, Lefties, knock it off.

Sapidus

This ^^

As an atheist, it annoys me when my fellow heathens try to twist the gospel that so many hold dear in order to make political points. The two have nothing to do with each other, or at least they're not supposed to, and it makes them look like raging hypocrites when they bitch about separation of church and state on one hand, then indicate that we're supposed to be a nation of religious Christian values on the other.

Really, Lefties, knock it off.

Are you that dense?

It is pointing out the discord between the religious fanatics who think this country should be run according to religious scripture yet condemn Sharia law without batting an eye.

They want religion to be part of the law when it suits them and protects their bigotry or imposes laws on others.

Sapidus

you are, as many do, conflating what PEOPLE should do (as discussed in the Bible) and what GOVERNMENT is tasked to do.

As a general rule, when religious people say that "America should adhere to biblical principles" the speaker is implying THE PEOPLE should act better. That means having morals based on biblical principles.

The GOVERNMENT, however, is run by the rules as set forth in the Constitution. One of those rules is that people actually do have the freedom to believe or not in any religion (or none) as they choose. Inclusive in the rules set forth in the Constitution would be:
  • (frame 2 of your comic) that the government has no role in feeding and housing the poor - but THE PEOPLE should set up shelters and food banks
  • (frame 3 of your comic) there is a requirement not to have cruel and unusual punishment of prisoners, but there is no requirement to make prison a retreat from real life
  • (frame 4 of your comic) the burden should be the same on all citizens, and it should be as small as practical
  • (frame 5 of your comic) since frame 1 was "Christian principles", I know no Christian who is not about loving one's neighbor as Jesus loves us, therefore this seems an inaccurate frame towards people's beliefs. However, since we ARE talking about government in every other frame, I certainly see no Constitutional principle that requires I even like or tolerate anyone else, let alone love them - quite the opposite ("freedom" and all that)
  • (frame 6 of your comic) not sure what this even means - do we not catch and punish criminals? Is that what Linus is asking?
  • (frame 7 of your comic) people who are not here legally should be treated as if their actions are illegal, and those here legally should be treated with respect. Again, I'm not sure what Christian has ever said, "get them foreigners out of here - especially the ones here legally!!" Just seems like a wholly inaccurate frame
  • (frame 8 of your comic) another conflation of government and people - it is not up to the government to define or defend "social injustice", especially anywhere else in the world except the United States. However, what PEOPLE choose to do with their time, money, and talent is entirely up to them and most any Christian is all about helping people in other countries and ours be treated fairly. Christians are among the highest of people who donate in the world, and are part of innumerable charitable organizations specifically designed to help the needy.
  • (frame 9 of your comic) as PEOPLE, I agree completely. As GOVERNMENT, gay people have not ever been denied the right to marry, so this is pretty stupid, too.

Sorry for busting your bubble. I'm assuming if you meant this as a joke you would have posted it in the joke section (where it belongs). Instead, you posted it here for discussion, and there's really no discussing something that is wrong on every level.

If that is the case that they believe people should behave biblically not the government why do they try to make laws based on their religion?

Why do you think it’s okay to force laws and policies based on your religious beliefs on those who don’t share your beliefs? (Such as climate change denial, bias towards LGBT people, and denying women her constitutional right to reproductive choice). If our country had a Muslim majority instead of a Christian majority, would you think that gives them the right to impose Sharia Law?

PeoplesElbow

When a liberal usually says "we should do this" they mean "people with more money than I have should pay for it". As soon as you take money from them for it they decide it isn't a good idea.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
If that is the case that they believe people should behave biblically not the government why do they try to make laws based on their religion?

Why do you think it’s okay to force laws and policies based on your religious beliefs on those who don’t share your beliefs? (Such as climate change denial, bias towards LGBT people, and denying women her constitutional right to reproductive choice). If our country had a Muslim majority instead of a Christian majority, would you think that gives them the right to impose Sharia Law?

Ah ha!! I knew it. You ARE the infamous troll we've come to know and love, starting with LibertyBacon. How ya been, Kev?

Hijinx

Are you that dense?

It is pointing out the discord between the religious fanatics who think this country should be run according to religious scripture yet condemn Sharia law without batting an eye.

They want religion to be part of the law when it suits them and protects their bigotry or imposes laws on others.

Well there is a big difference between Judeo-Christian religion and the religion of Suicide bombers. But you can't seem to understand that.
Maybe if your IQ wasn't the same as the speed limit going into Leonardtown you would get it.

Hijinx

Well there is a big difference between Judeo-Christian religion and the religion of Suicide bombers. But you can't seem to understand that.
Maybe if your IQ wasn't the same as the speed limit going into Leonardtown you would get it.

By the way i don't want to force our laws onto the Muslims. I want them to stay where they are happy with their own laws and keep the hell out of America.

Sapidus

In your opinion there isn't . Not all Muslims are suicide bombers. And how many white Christian men have committed terrorism in the US lately? A lot more than any Muslims have.

To an aethist radical Christianity and radical Muslims aren't that different. They want impose their beliefs on others. Socially and legally.

And every time you insult someone it just weakens your argument by making you look like a angry child.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Are you that dense?

I'm gonna go with it's you who's dense.

Wake me up when Christians start lopping off heads and suicide bombing those with whom they disagree. :yawn:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
In your opinion there isn't . Not all Muslims are suicide bombers. And how many white Christian men have committed terrorism in the US lately? A lot more than any Muslims have.

To an aethist radical Christianity and radical Muslims aren't that different. They want impose their beliefs on others. Socially and legally.

And every time you insult someone it just weakens your argument by making you look like a angry child.

Ah ha!! I knew it. You ARE the infamous troll we've come to know and love, starting with LibertyBacon. How ya been, Kev?

hotbikermama40

For a fact there is a difference between the two. First of all, there are Christian men, and women, that matter who are not white...I didn't know if anyone had explained that to you yet. Also, of course not all Muslims are suicide-bombers. :duh:
Your question fails to include the component "in the name of religion". How many Christians compared to how many Muslims have committed terrorism ANYWHERE in the world lately in the name of religion. Go ahead. Take your time and a pencil and paper to work that one out.
And FYI, Atheist is capitalized and spelled A-t-h-e-i-s-t.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
It is pointing out the discord between the religious fanatics who think this country should be run according to religious scripture ......

really which elections have these people run, what city, county, or national offices do these people hold

and your cutesy little cartoon makes NO such distinction or statement

.... laws and policies based on your religious beliefs ....

wtf does this have to do with the climate ?
why should I be forced to sell a product or service for someones 'marriage' if it offends me

so you believe it is a constitutional right to murder your child, just because it has not been born yet

How many Christians compared to how many Muslims have committed terrorism ANYWHERE in the world lately in the name of religion.
Go ahead.
Take your time and a pencil and paper to work that one out.

outside of Africa ... no where [I think] but those actions I would not label terrorism, just pay back or revenge

Last edited:

This_person

Are you that dense?

But, no one is calling for THE LAW to improve society to their Christian ends. They're calling on THE PEOPLE, the society, to improve itself. I'm a devout Christian, and I do not want Christian dogma to run the government. I want the Constitution to do that. I believe that same-sex acts are a sin (note, I know I sin every single day and I'm not judging: I love my neighbor as Jesus loves me, but I condemn the sin like I condemn my own), but I in NO WAY believe same-sex acts should be illegal. I do not want my government to legislate morality, because people's morals tend to change over time. Mine are based on a set of principles as I understand them from the Bible, but I don't think others need to follow my MORALs, I think they need to follow the law. I hope society drives people to my morals, but I would never ask for them to be the law, because (A) that takes away from the FIRST amendment to the constitution, and (B) I don't want someone else's morals dictating my actions, because, I believe we have free will to determine how we act.

Religion is not called upon to be law, anywhere by any reasonable person. Why would you think that it is for anything OTHER than Sharia law?