The new religious right in America

stgislander

PREMO Member
Ah ha!! I knew it. You ARE the infamous troll we've come to know and love, starting with LibertyBacon. How ya been, Kev?

See, I still do not think he's Bacon. None of the iterations of Bacon ever came off as a rabid, foaming-at-the-mouth progressive like Sappy does. Bacon sounded more like an anarchist.

SamSpade

See, I still do not think he's Bacon. None of the iterations of Bacon ever came off as a rabid, foaming-at-the-mouth progressive like Sappy does. Bacon sounded more like an anarchist.

*shrug* - I never understood the need to return to any forum if I had been booted from it.
Not that it's ever happened - but I was on one once where the members didn't like what I had to say, and I left.

This_person

Why do you think it’s okay to force laws and policies based on your religious beliefs on those who don’t share your beliefs?

I don't

(Such as climate change denial,

This is a biblical belief? Can you help me see where, in the Bible, denying the climate changes is a Christian standard?

bias towards LGBT people,

I'm going to assume you mean whether or not to call same-sex unions "marriage" by the state. If that is what you mean, I would tell you that has nothing to do (for me, since you're asking ME why do I think it's ok for certain policies) with religious beliefs. My position is that we allow the government to register our unions (at our voluntary request) and offer small and insignificant perks (as well as some disadvantages) because time has shown that a man and woman who register their relationships have a positive impact on society (lower crime, higher home ownership, higher civic involvement, stronger employment numbers, etc.), thus making it in the government's interest to allow these small perks. However, in my opinion, by making divorce so easy the gains of marriage have been significantly reduced, and I believe government should get out of allowing people to voluntarily register their relationships with the government altogether.

and denying women her constitutional right to reproductive choice).

I would never deny anyone their right to reproduce. My position has nothing to do (directly) with religion. My position on this is that if a woman makes the choice to risk reproduction and a new life is created (whether it was her desire or not) she does not have the right to kill the new person as an elective. Of course she has the right to risk reproduction, she just doesn't have the right to kill people because they are inconvenient to her.

If our country had a Muslim majority instead of a Christian majority, would you think that gives them the right to impose Sharia Law?

Nope. First amendment stops that.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Fair point. But I know I've seen Sappy's post drool somewhere before....deja vu all over again.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

yeah its not bacon IMHO - does sound a lot like Calvetnewb

Fair point. But I know I've seen Sappy's post drool somewhere before....deja vu all over again.

Last edited:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
But, no one is calling for THE LAW to improve society to their Christian ends. They're calling on THE PEOPLE, the society, to improve itself. I'm a devout Christian, and I do not want Christian dogma to run the government. I want the Constitution to do that. I believe that same-sex acts are a sin (note, I know I sin every single day and I'm not judging: I love my neighbor as Jesus loves me, but I condemn the sin like I condemn my own), but I in NO WAY believe same-sex acts should be illegal. I do not want my government to legislate morality, because people's morals tend to change over time. Mine are based on a set of principles as I understand them from the Bible, but I don't think others need to follow my MORALs, I think they need to follow the law. I hope society drives people to my morals, but I would never ask for them to be the law, because (A) that takes away from the FIRST amendment to the constitution, and (B) I don't want someone else's morals dictating my actions, because, I believe we have free will to determine how we act.

Of course she has the right to risk reproduction, she just doesn't have the right to kill people because they are inconvenient to her.

:yay:

well said .......

Last edited:

Sapidus

I don't

This is a biblical belief? Can you help me see where, in the Bible, denying the climate changes is a Christian standard?

God is almighty. we just have to pray god doesn't get angry and send a flood or hurricane or fire to destroy us and we will be fine. Conversely, its gods will what can we do?

I'm going to assume you mean whether or not to call same-sex unions "marriage" by the state. If that is what you mean, I would tell you that has nothing to do (for me, since you're asking ME why do I think it's ok for certain policies) with religious beliefs. My position is that we allow the government to register our unions (at our voluntary request) and offer small and insignificant perks (as well as some disadvantages) because time has shown that a man and woman who register their relationships have a positive impact on society (lower crime, higher home ownership, higher civic involvement, stronger employment numbers, etc.), thus making it in the government's interest to allow these small perks. However, in my opinion, by making divorce so easy the gains of marriage have been significantly reduced, and I believe government should get out of allowing people to voluntarily register their relationships with the government altogether.
So you think the government should not register anyones relationships? How about doing away with drivers license too while we are at it?

I would never deny anyone their right to reproduce. My position has nothing to do (directly) with religion. My position on this is that if a woman makes the choice to risk reproduction and a new life is created (whether it was her desire or not) she does not have the right to kill the new person as an elective. Of course she has the right to risk reproduction, she just doesn't have the right to kill people because they are inconvenient to her.

What about in cases of rape and incest?

Nope. First amendment stops that.

So why do we have these so called religious freedom laws ?

Hijinx

*shrug* - I never understood the need to return to any forum if I had been booted from it.
Not that it's ever happened - but I was on one once where the members didn't like what I had to say, and I left.

Hell!!!! If I left because no one wanted to hear what I had to say ,I wouldn't be on any forum.
It also hasn't gotten TJ off of this one LMAO.

Hijinx

But that is not what the effect is the effect is forcing your beliefs on others.

Who has forced their beliefs on you little fellow.?
Are you saying that you cannot defend yourself against this force. Poor thing.

This_person

God is almighty. we just have to pray god doesn't get angry and send a flood or hurricane or fire to destroy us and we will be fine. Conversely, its gods will what can we do?

What does this have to do with the question I asked? If the climate is changing, and your contention through this response is that you believe Christians simply believe the climate changes because God says so, then why would we deny it? You said denying man-made climate change is a religious requirement of Christians - where is that written?

So you think the government should not register anyones relationships?

At this point in time, absolutely yes. However, I'm answering what you MEAN to say, which is whether or not people should register with the government. The government does not register your relationship, you do, voluntarily, with the government. However, the reasons for the perks and disadvantages are no longer nearly as valid as they used to be, and therefore I see no reason the government should provide those perks and disadvantages anymore.

How about doing away with drivers license too while we are at it?

You make a mistake others make when thinking about marriage certificates - they're permission to be together (in your mind, apparently).

A marriage license/certificate does nothing for you except register with the government your relationship. It does not provide permission, there are no government tests you must pass, no skills training you must take, etc. It's simply requesting the government-related advantages and disadvantages.

A driver's license is provided when one passes tests to prove knowledge and skill to drive a car. It suggests that you won't damage other people, because you've successfully proven you know the laws/rules of driving as well as demonstrated you could do so in the presence of an evaluator.

Do you see the difference? Do you get that a driver's license and marriage certificate are apples and bricks, no comparison at all?

What about in cases of rape and incest?

Well, now see, this is where I can show you even more that I do not believe laws and religion should be intertwined. From a religious point of view, I would still call those things murder. However, from a secular point of view, if a woman is raped she is not responsible for the life created from the crime. If she has filed a rape report and a judge believes there is sufficient evidence to believe a rape has been committed, I fully agree with that being legal. If the incest is non-consensual (including statutorily), that's rape. If the incest is between two consenting adults, that's not rape, so I can't see why it would be okay to kill the baby.

However, we're talking about literally decimal-point dust in the overall scheme of how many abortions take place annually. According to Planned Parenthood, rape and incest make up less than 1% of all abortions.

So why do we have these so called religious freedom laws ?

To allow the first amendment to exist. The first amendment, with respect to religion, reads: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof. However, many areas have made it very difficult to freely exercise their religion. For example, if one finds themselves a Muslim baker, and a same-sex couple asks to have their wedding cake made, the baker should certainly be allowed to say, "NO" because they do not want to support something for which their religion tells them not to support. A group of nuns should probably not have to pay for maternity insurance (or any insurance just for existing, but I digress) since them being sexually active is counter to their religious beliefs. Many laws have been passed, or regulations enacted, that restrict these free expressions of religion.

Sapidus

What does this have to do with the question I asked? If the climate is changing, and your contention through this response is that you believe Christians simply believe the climate changes because God says so, then why would we deny it? You said denying man-made climate change is a religious requirement of Christians - where is that written?

I never said it was a requirement of Chrisitians. I do believe however that the attitude of most christian's is to deny science and believe that god made the planet and ultimately controls its fate so doing anything to be good stewards of it is futile. Scientific beliefs such as the big bang theory are generally anthema to creationism and I have heard many Christians shut down as soon as someone points to scientific evidence of climate change as accepting one scientific theory would strengthen other scientific theory.

At this point in time, absolutely yes. However, I'm answering what you MEAN to say, which is whether or not people should register with the government. The government does not register your relationship, you do, voluntarily, with the government. However, the reasons for the perks and disadvantages are no longer nearly as valid as they used to be, and therefore I see no reason the government should provide those perks and disadvantages anymore.

What do you mean the advantages of marriage are no longer valid? What about the tax advantage?

You make a mistake others make when thinking about marriage certificates - they're permission to be together (in your mind, apparently).

A marriage license/certificate does nothing for you except register with the government your relationship. It does not provide permission, there are no government tests you must pass, no skills training you must take, etc. It's simply requesting the government-related advantages and disadvantages.
It actually does provide permission, without a marriage license you can not get legally married and enjoy the benefits of a married couple

A driver's license is provided when one passes tests to prove knowledge and skill to drive a car. It suggests that you won't damage other people, because you've successfully proven you know the laws/rules of driving as well as demonstrated you could do so in the presence of an evaluator.

Do you see the difference? Do you get that a driver's license and marriage certificate are apples and bricks, no comparison at all?

Well, now see, this is where I can show you even more that I do not believe laws and religion should be intertwined. From a religious point of view, I would still call those things murder. However, from a secular point of view, if a woman is raped she is not responsible for the life created from the crime. If she has filed a rape report and a judge believes there is sufficient evidence to believe a rape has been committed, I fully agree with that being legal. Do you have any idea how courts work in this country? Why should a woman have to prove to a judge she has been raped? Why should she have to wait for the back log of cases in this country to clear so she can be seen by a judge? Then conservatives would just try to pass even more restrictive laws saying abortion is not legal after say 14 weeks. It could take that long to get a court date and been cleared to have an abortion. If the incest is non-consensual (including statutorily), that's rape. If the incest is between two consenting adults, that's not rape, so I can't see why it would be okay to kill the baby. You make the mistake of seeing a fetus as a baby. A fetus is not viable at the earliest at 5 months. You can't kill something that is literally not alive on its own yet.

However, we're talking about literally decimal-point dust in the overall scheme of how many abortions take place annually. According to Planned Parenthood, rape and incest make up less than 1% of all abortions. And 3% of planned parenthoods services are abortions but that doesn't stop conservatives from trying to take a way their funding.

To allow the first amendment to exist. The first amendment, with respect to religion, reads: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof. However, many areas have made it very difficult to freely exercise their religion. For example, if one finds themselves a Muslim baker, and a same-sex couple asks to have their wedding cake made, the baker should certainly be allowed to say, "NO" because they do not want to support something for which their religion tells them not to support. If you offer a public service you need to make that service available to everyone equally. By baking a cake for someone you are not showing support. You are doing your job. The recent case with the T-shirts was found to be different because they were tacitally proving by writing a pro gay message A group of nuns should probably not have to pay for maternity insurance if they hire anyone other than other nuns they need to provide maternity insurance to those women they just don't have to use it themselves. That is the very definition of personal freedoms] (or any insurance just for existing, but I digress) since them being sexually active is counter to their religious beliefs. Many laws have been passed, or regulations enacted, that restrict these free expressions of religion.

People who don't believe in abortion shouldn't get abortions. They should not try to regulate when , where or how other women should get them.

Sapidus

just the opposite...the effect is not letting you force your beliefs on us....just sayin'

People who don't believe in abortion shouldn't get abortions. They should not try to regulate when , where or how other women should get them.

If you don't want to get married to someone of the same sex don't. Exercise your right to your personal religious freedom

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member

i don't believe the unborn want to be aborted, maybe you should ask them and if they say yes, go ahead. BTW its not just a Religious thing.

As for gay dudes. if you want to stick it up another dudes a$$ i don't care, it their "choice" but i don't have to bake them a cake.

Last edited: