The New York Times Has Abandoned Liberalism for Activism

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The New York Times, by its executive editor’s own admission, is increasingly engaged in a project of reporting everything through the prism of white supremacy and critical race theory, in order to “teach” its readers to think in these crudely reductionist and racial terms. That’s why this issue wasn’t called, say, “special issue”, but a “project”. It’s as much activism as journalism. And that’s the reason I’m dwelling on this a few weeks later. I’m constantly told that critical race theory is secluded on college campuses, and has no impact outside of them … and yet the newspaper of record, in a dizzyingly short space of time, is now captive to it. Its magazine covers the legacy of slavery not with a variety of scholars, or a diversity of views, but with critical race theory, espoused almost exclusively by black writers, as its sole interpretative mechanism.

Don’t get me wrong. I think that view deserves to be heard. The idea that the core truth of human society is that it is composed of invisible systems of oppression based on race (sex, gender, etc.), and that liberal democracy is merely a mask to conceal this core truth, and that a liberal society must therefore be dismantled in order to secure racial/social justice is a legitimate worldview. (That view that “systems” determine human history and that the individual is a mere cog in those systems is what makes it neo-Marxist and anti-liberal.) But I sure don’t think it deserves to be incarnated as the only way to understand our collective history, let alone be presented as the authoritative truth, in a newspaper people rely on for some gesture toward objectivity.

[clip]

But the NYT chose a neo-Marxist rather than liberal path to make a very specific claim: that slavery is not one of many things that describe America’s founding and culture, it is the definitive one. Arguing that the “true founding” was the arrival of African slaves on the continent, period, is a bitter rebuke to the actual founders and Lincoln. America is not a messy, evolving, multicultural, religiously infused, Enlightenment-based, racist, liberating, wealth-generating kaleidoscope of a society. It’s white supremacy, which started in 1619, and that’s the key to understand all of it. America’s only virtue, in this telling, belongs to those who have attempted and still attempt to end this malign manifestation of white supremacy.

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019...y-times-abandons-liberalism-for-activism.html

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Basic Account
Get to know the platform

You only have access to basic statistics.
This statistic is not included in your account!

....but i believe you

Well how dumb. It showed me the graf before, now it wants me to sign up. Anyway:

In 2018, the average weekday circulation of the New York Times was 487 thousand copies. This marks a significant drop from over 1.03 million a decade earlier and continues the downward trend which has been evident for the last few years.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The WaPo is all but done ....... if so many Redskins Fans were not vested in the sports page that rag would have died yrs ago

Hijinx

The NY Times has been in to activism for years.
I guess some are just starting to realize it.