The Nighthawks...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
...so, hanging out with some friends, a bit older than me, this past Saturday and they ask if I wanna go to a party later that day, some people I know and like but not close enough to to have been invited. The kind of people that would have invited me had they thought of it or seen me out and about.

They said 'yeah, I'm sure it will be fine, they're inviting everyone and they're all excited about this band they have, the Nighthawks or something..." and I'm like... 'THE Nighthawks?????" and they're like "#### if we know. Never heard of them..." and I'm like "THE Nighthawks are gonna be at TJ and Charlie's back yard party????" and they're like "What's a Nighthawk?" and I'm like..... "THE Nighthawks???"

So, short story short, yup, Charlie is long time riding pals with some of them, like OLD school Harley riding pals, hard tails, springer front ends, real choppers, and they were there, in fact, in his and TJ's back yard and they weer fabulous! I saw an old AMF Road King. Knucklheads, pan heads, shovels and a few iron heads.

For anyone who doesn't know, the Nighthawks are DC/Mid Atlantic LEGENDS of blues blues/rock. They're down to just the singer as original members but the replacements have been around so long, it hardly matters.

Just a FUN, toe tappin', beer drinking blues rockin' band.

THE Nighthawks. Hell of a nice surprise!! :larry:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
They very occasionally would play at Nokleby's and the cover was huge, but they would draw an enormous crowd. Excellent band!

How are they holding up?

RPMDAD

Sadly, i am old enough to remember the old Georgetown scene. Worked at Venneman's Music Store at that time in my . Great times by the way, met a lot of entertainers. Actually met Les Paul, had a chance to jam at a friends house with Danny Gatton, took a delivery from the store one time to the Shenandoah Valley one time and met a guitar player by the name of Nils Lofgren before he joined a little known band with
a dude name Bruce Springsteen. Actually drank beers with him at his place. But back to The Nighthawks. Also remember meeting and partying and attending performances of another local dude
Root oy Slim, Dare to be fat.

[video=youtube;iOlDDXrjPJA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOlDDXrjPJA[/video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqnD11rjrtc

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
Way back when early 1980's, the nighthawks would play arc and dove all the time, loved them,they just played ruddy duck in Solomon's about month ago, yes they are down to just the original singer , we all get old ;))))

black dog

Free America
I grew up in Bethesda, and used to hit the Psychedeli in downtown Bethesda maybe twice a month and always had loads of fun and got to see loads of different bands.
The Nighthawk's began their career playing at the Psychedeli, Bethesda MD, just across the street from FHS, all part of the family during this period. I still have several of there first albums. Also would roll to the Celler Door and The Buyou.

Last edited:

Grumpy

Sadly, i am old enough to remember the old Georgetown scene. Worked at Venneman's Music Store at that time in my . Great times by the way, met a lot of entertainers. Actually met Les Paul, had a chance to jam at a friends house with Danny Gatton, took a delivery from the store one time to the Shenandoah Valley one time and met a guitar player by the name of Nils Lofgren before he joined a little known band with
a dude name Bruce Springsteen. Actually drank beers with him at his place. But back to The Nighthawks. Also remember meeting and partying and attending performances of another local dude

Saw the Nighthawks many times in the early 70s; still have in my car rotation Grin's 1 + 1 album(Nils pre-E Street), saw Springsteen at The Bayou in the early 70s..Can't remember the name of the club but saw Gatton a lot in DC, 1st time I saw him, he was asked on-stage by a forgotten band to jam with them on the last set, blew me away.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Root oy Slim, Dare to be fat. l]

Sadly? SADLY?????????? :lol:

frequentflier

happy to be living
Love the Nighthawks...and would have been creaming myself being around Panheads, Knuckleheads and even a Shovelhead!!

Larry Gude

Strung Out
We were all little metal heads at the time and hated everyone else. However, the Nighthawks had a certain cache, a respect for them and it was because they played a lot of originals. That made them OK in our books if not exactly our cup of tea. I never saw them, not once, as all my music time, live show time, was centered around a buddies band. But, again, always knew who they were, always had that 'THE Nighthawks' vibe about them.

So, to stumble into my FIRST Nighthawks gig at a party 2 miles from my house, in the most cool of chilled backyard settings, and then to enjoy a BUNCH of damn good songs, really good showmanship, to be entertained, cooler full of beer, great weather, my lady with me, her first time as well, and to just dig the #### out of it, man, great memory.

:buddies:

SamSpade

Wow. Who knew they were still a band? They used to play around College Park when I was at U of MD.

mitzi

[video=youtube;iOlDDXrjPJA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOlDDXrjPJA[/video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqnD11rjrtc

Root, Root, Root