The old steed needs new shoes

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Well crap. 16.5 tires are practically extinct now. So when I put new 1-ton axles under the '78 Bronc some years ago, I shod her with 16" wheels. Now 16s are the next dinosaurs and 17" wheels are the new "minimum" for good tire selection.

$2050 plus shipping for four 40" Toyo Mud Terrain tires on new black Pro Comp 17" 8-lug rims. Every other options was an easy 5 bills more.

Ouch. Playing can be costly.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Yeah..I know I'm nuts..but I can't give up the old truck now. I've been wheeling it hard for 25 years.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
wtf happened to 15 inch wheels and tires

I cant' run 15" wheels...running gear is all F-350 1-ton 8-lug stuff. You can still get a half decent selection of off road tires for 15s but the number is definitely decreasing.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I cant' run 15" wheels...running gear is all F-350 1-ton 8-lug stuff. You can still get a half decent selection of off road tires for 15s but the number is definitely decreasing.

Oh Right ... I have 6 lug jeeps

Last edited:

black dog

Free America

What is the width of those rears?
Aftermarket axle's or can they be resplined like when we were kids?

black dog

Free America
Sorry, width from inside backing plate to backing plate. Like on a locker with drum brakes.
I built a few Vegas as a kid, using Don Hardy rear subframes, I would take a 9" rear and cut the axle tubes and get one of the local machine shops to cut and respline them if possible and if not order a set of Strange axles.

I always wondered what happened the that vintage bronco that sat in a driveway just north of Leonardtown on the east side of the road.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Sorry, width from inside backing plate to backing plate. Like on a locker with drum brakes.
I built a few Vegas as a kid, using Don Hardy rear subframes, I would take a 9" rear and cut the axle tubes and get one of the local machine shops to cut and respline them if possible and if not order a set of Strange axles.

I always wondered what happened the that vintage bronco that sat in a driveway just north of Leonardtown on the east side of the road.
the Sterling rear is 65 inches between wheel mounting surfaces (WMS). The D60 in front is 70 inches. Here's a shot of the D60 going together taken a few years ago.

fitting up D60.jpg

I don't recall an early Bronco where you describe. And few have escaped me, although
I only have five of the 66-77 models now.

I've narrow quite a few front Dana 44 housings over the years, putting later model 44s in to early Broncos.

Last edited:

black dog

Free America
Thanks, it was the same house that the middle 70's Corvette sat forever also.
That Bronco was the model that had the little bed in the back like a PU.
I believe it was popular with the mining / explosive industry.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Thanks, it was the same house that the middle 70's Corvette sat forever also.
That Bronco was the model that had the little bed in the back like a PU.
I believe it was popular with the mining / explosive industry.

I've owned two of the half-cab models; a '66 and a '69. Still have the '66 but sold the cab. A lot of those were bought by farmers; both of mine originally were.

Here is the '69. 69EB.jpg

Here is the cab off the '66 on a '76:

Mike and adrian.jpg

Typical trails...

ROUNDUP_034.jpg