The Open!

Agee

This tournament has it all! Where maintaining even Par can result in a win. Where course conditions and set-up makes the best golfers on the planet look like mere hacks.

This Open's venue; WingedFoot... First round, one golfer in the red, C. Montgomery (-1)

Site of the 1974 Open, winner with a score of +7...
Progressive rough with three cuts, one inch to over five inches...
Only two Par 5's on the course
A 514 yard Par 4...
A 640 yard Par 5...
24 to 30 yard wide fairways...
Sand Traps that would engulf a Hummer...
Undulating Greens that spit the ball-out like the clown's mouth @ a putt-putt course...

Hit fairways, hit greens, make putts, hang around at Even Par, you got a chance! Easier said then done...

Like to add this course, along with Augusta, Pebble Beach, Pinehurst #2, and Bethpage Black as a fantasy course to play.:cheers:

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Just to be tedious...

...the 'Open' is the British Open. We must pay homage to the traditions of the game. This is the US Open we're talking about and this is a bloodfest and it ain't gonna get any better with no rain in the forecast. I LOVE IT. Hit the fairway or DIE!

:larry:

Over par will win, is my prediction.

Vince

Used to love the game, but I developed a slice I couldn't get rid of and quit. Even sold my clubs.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Tiger is now...

...+10 on his 14th hole of the day, 1 bird, 1 boge two doubles to add to his +6 of yesterday.

He's just flat out struggling; can't hit fairways, loose irons, can't make back to back good swings and not feeling the speed on the greens.

He holds the record, with Jack, for most consecutive cuts made in majors at 39. The only guy under par right now is Montgomery and he is yet to play. With a leader at E or so, +10 makes it.

This is also Tigers first major without his dad.

Agee

"Tiger has now",

finished his second round with another 76, +12 for the tourney. Players are falling down the leaderboard, leader now Steve Stricker @ -1, finished his second round, host of players still to tee-off.

I'm with you Larry, appears "Over-Par" will take the title.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
OK folks...

...here's your backline story; TV ratings.

It is a known and obvious fact that Tiger, as the worlds #1 player and a pretty exciting player to watch in any event (some great players throughout history were/are rather, well, tedious to watch for the casual fan) brings more viewers to any tournament he has made the cut in, but, until now, that's never been quantifiable in a major, which bring heavier viewership anyway, as to the impact of him not making the cut in a major.

So, this should be interesting.

Agee

Heard an interesting comment from one of the golfers during a TV interview...

"A golfer with a 15 handicap, would not break 130 for a round at Winged Foot".

I'm not a 15 handicap, but would jump at a chance to play a round, and see my final score. Of course, the rough would have to be cut to a "member cut".

Otter

Nothing to see here
Airgasm said:
Heard an interesting comment from one of the golfers during a TV interview...

"A golfer with a 15 handicap, would not break 130 for a round at Winged Foot".

I'm not a 15 handicap, but would jump at a chance to play a round, and see my final score. Of course, the rough would have to be cut to a "member cut" and lakes/creeks froze over.

:yay:

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
I watched part of the Open yesterday. Sheeeeeeaitt! Some of those fairways are no more than 15 yards wide!

I know I'd spend as much time trying to hack at the ball, getting it out of the trees and onto the fairway again!! And those would be the ones I could find....

Nupe2

Good thing there's no water...Phil would have either drowned going after his wild drives or would have drowned himself on 18....live by the Driver, die by the Driver! :ohwell:

G

Gemmi

Poor Phil! I felt sorry for him but he did it to himself. It was getting real exciting at the end. :banana:

Agee

Gemmi said:
Poor Phil! I felt sorry for him but he did it to himself. It was getting real exciting at the end. :banana:

Yes he did do it to himself.

He has since revamped his game; essentially to limit mistakes with safe shots... With this, he has been rewarded with some major wins.
But, old Phil raised his head, and proceeded to plunge down the path of his past. Pitch into the fairway, take your lumps, and move-on!

Good on Geoff Ogilvy, how sweet is that! Major Congrats :cheers:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
This is why the US Open is so much fun...

teverheart2002 said:
I felt like I was watching Tin Cup, "Give me another ball". Had to keep switching back and forth to keep from watching.

...we were riveted, a bunch of us at a fathers day party, on every shot by each player, on the back nine. The Tin Cup analogy holds up for more reasons; Phil's caddy, Saturday night, tried to talk him into carrying his 3 wood for Sunday, precisely for hitting fairways and Phil had walked the course Saturday night thinking he'd need four pars coming in if he was going to win. Plus, it's pure Hollywood; hit it INTO a trash bag AND still make bird on one hole and bounce it off the hospitality tent on 18, still have a play then NAIL a tree, then fried egg it into a bunker and STILL have a chance if he holes out.

Ogilvy earned this. His approach to 18 was hit out of a nasty divot and came up maybe two feet short of carrying the ridge and rolling up close for bird. So, he made a huge par and waited.

Great stuff and Phil is taking responsibility.