The Opiate Pandemic

Concern4Calvert

At what point did prescription painkillers, opiates/heroine , etc become a pandemic in Calvert County?

My family and I moved here in 1994 under the idea that Calvert was a "quiet escape" from the crime that encompasses the surrounding areas. My how times have changed.

It just seems like every day I'm hearing of an overdose, arrest or death related to drugs, and it wasn't always that way?

Just curious to see what everyone has to say? What does this mean for the future?

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
It started to really ramp up 5 years ago but was an undercurrent before that. Not just here but nationally. Heroin has become cheap so it's more available.

Baltimore City has been a heroin hotspot for decades. It used to bleed out to Howard and Carroll Counties. It's moved down and out.

bilbur

At what point did prescription painkillers, opiates/heroine , etc become a pandemic in Calvert County?

My family and I moved here in 1994 under the idea that Calvert was a "quiet escape" from the crime that encompasses the surrounding areas. My how times have changed.

It just seems like every day I'm hearing of an overdose, arrest or death related to drugs, and it wasn't always that way?

Just curious to see what everyone has to say? What does this mean for the future?

Pain management clinics have become a big thing now. I went to pain management for a while for a legitimate issue and anyone who knows me would tell you it was legitimate. When I would go to my appointments and to pick up prescriptions I would see the junkies. The people that argue with the nurse claiming they dropped their script down the sink or left it sitting in the park and it was gone when they came back. They are always sent away empty handed and angry because we signed a contract that says they will not refill a prescription for any reason until it was time to refill. I, myself, was so scared to become that way that I was very meticulous and regimented with my meds.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
I just had a very minor surgery, doc prescribed oxy for pain. I took three of them - out of a bottle of 40!

Now what do I do with them?

glhs837

Power with Control
Ask at the pain clinics or maybe call the local hospice, I think there are programs to legally donate unneeded meds to folks who do need them.

Ask at the pain clinics or maybe call the local hospice, I think there are programs to legally donate unneeded meds to folks who do need them.

If this doesn't pan out, there is a drop box in the L'town sheriff's office for unused prescription drugs.

My home was broken into recently, and the only thing they took, besides my laptops, was drugs from the medicine cabinet. In speaking with my insurance agent and the police, this is all the thieves want. Quick sale-able items and drugs. If you have drugs sitting around that you don't use or want, get rid of them. Keep them out of the hands of those who don't need them.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
If this doesn't pan out, there is a drop box in the L'town sheriff's office for unused prescription drugs.

My home was broken into recently, and the only thing they took, besides my laptops, was drugs from the medicine cabinet. In speaking with my insurance agent and the police, this is all the thieves want. Quick sale-able items and drugs. If you have drugs sitting around that you don't use or want, get rid of them. Keep them out of the hands of those who don't need them.

I wonder if they'd take my cholesterol and heart medicine.

Roman

I just had a very minor surgery, doc prescribed oxy for pain. I took three of them - out of a bottle of 40!

Take the medicine to your regular Doctor. If they are not outdated, s/he might have an indigent patient that can use them. Otherwise, they can dispose of them properly for you.

bilbur

Take the medicine to your regular Doctor. If they are not outdated, s/he might have an indigent patient that can use them. Otherwise, they can dispose of them properly for you.

Any of the pain management clinics will take them also and give you a receipt saying the amount returned and type of medication. I returned some of mine a couple years ago. You also might want to hang on to some of them in a secure location. You never know when you are going to throw your back out or break your toe and the doctors, for good reason, are starting to get scared to prescribe them. Personally, I just deal with the pain but I know people that have a few on hand for just this situation where it is not worth going to the doctor but the pain is affecting their ability to get to work or do other activities.

mitzi

I question why the doctors give such heavy duty pain medicine for issues that don't really need it. Last year, my son (an adult) broke his wrist. He was given oxy (he didn't take it). When I was young I broke my leg and was given nothing for pain. I think I took aspirin. This past winter I had a cyst removed and they were going to give me Percocet. I told them I didn't want it (it makes me sick). The cyst removal throbbed yes but it required only an ice pack for relief.

Concern4Calvert

There's a ton of collateral damage when it comes to pills also. When they bust the doc and dealers, the kids go to heroin because its the only thing available. Then things really become precarious

PeoplesElbow

I question why the doctors give such heavy duty pain medicine for issues that don't really need it. Last year, my son (an adult) broke his wrist. He was given oxy (he didn't take it). When I was young I broke my leg and was given nothing for pain. I think I took aspirin. This past winter I had a cyst removed and they were going to give me Percocet. I told them I didn't want it (it makes me sick). The cyst removal throbbed yes but it required only an ice pack for relief.

They cause severe constipation also.

Most things an 800 mg Motrin does the job just fine.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Agree. The narcotics are way over prescribed.

They are, but there is still a legitimate need in most cases. We hear about so many people who either abuse it intentionally or become hooked that we automatically lump everyone together without knowing if their pain is real.

Roman

They cause severe constipation also.

Most things an 800 mg Motrin does the job just fine.
I agree with you 100% PE. When I had an abdominal surgery, I was given a butt-load of Percocet. The only thing those did for me was upset my stomach, and make me feel weird. Motrin, or Ibuprophen (same thing) did well by me. For our patients, after having surgery, we give them a one-time prescription for pain relief. They are told ahead of time, that we will not prescribe any more than that. The surgeries that are done in the hospital, may be able to get more depending on the type of surgery they had. But for the minor stuff, nope....take Motrin.