The Passion of Christ

Will you go to see Mel Gibson's "The Passion of Christ"?

• yes

Votes: 27 60.0%
  • maybe

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • no

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • don't know

Votes: 4 8.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Saw the preview the other night. What is it based upon? Actual events, or some seperate story line (sort of like what Titanic did)? I'm going to do a little more research on the web.

fantasyillusion

...fear...me...
Originally posted by PFgal
Saw the preview the other night. What is it based upon? Actual events, or some seperate story line (sort of like what Titanic did)? I'm going to do a little more research on the web.

from what i've heard it was based on Christs last week leading up to the crucifixion as it is writen in scripture

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Originally posted by fantasyillusion
from what i've heard it was based on Christs last week leading up to the crucifixion as it is writen in scripture

Interesting. I think I'd definitely like to check it out.

mainman

Set Trippin
The last 12 hours of his life...

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
I voted no, but if it comes on free DTV I might give it a looksie.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
as it is writen in scripture

Not just scripture. I think they used some Saint's diaries or something like that to fill in some gaps.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
I heard Mel has been editing out some of the dialogue in the movie to appease those who claim the movie is anti-semitic.

I hope he doesn't edit it until it winds up being crap.
I don't understand what the Jews are afraid of. If the movie is historically accurate, what is the problem?

That's like someone making a movie about the Civil War and them editing out all the parts about southerners treating slaves badly. It happened! It's history! You can't change it so let's not change it in film.

tlatchaw

Not dead yet.
I think that the point most folks are missing on the anti-semitic front is that MANKIND put Christ to death, not just Jews/Romans. He died for the sins of all, therefore I am just a guilty as anyone in that mob shouting "Barabas!" Yet I am forgiven.

ceo_pte

Originally posted by tlatchaw
I think that the point most folks are missing on the anti-semitic front is that MANKIND put Christ to death, not just Jews/Romans. He died for the sins of all, therefore I am just a guilty as anyone in that mob shouting "Barabas!" Yet I am forgiven.

You are right.. for the most part. I think.

But in actuality, the Jews/Romans were the ones to crucify him. For some reason, I think they feel there may be some backlash... Kind of like the Japs felt about the Pearl Harbor movie...

dustin

UAIOE
Originally posted by sleuth14
I heard Mel has been editing out some of the dialogue in the movie to appease those who claim the movie is anti-semitic.

I hope he doesn't edit it until it winds up being crap.
I don't understand what the Jews are afraid of. If the movie is historically accurate, what is the problem?

That's like someone making a movie about the Civil War and them editing out all the parts about southerners treating slaves badly. It happened! It's history! You can't change it so let's not change it in film.

He edited out the subtitles during the part were Jesus is on trial in front of Ponchus Pilot (sp?). The whole movie is in the local languages of the time with subtitles and is based on the last 12hrs of his life. It is rated "R" for graphic violence (from what I have read and clips I have seen very realistic...like Saving Private Ryan) linky to quotes

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by dustin
He edited out the subtitles during the part were Jesus is on trial in front of Ponchus Pilot (sp?). The whole movie is in the local languages of the time with subtitles and is based on the last 12hrs of his life. It is rated "R" for graphic violence (from what I have read and clips I have seen very realistic...like Saving Private Ryan) linky to quotes

So I'm going to have to spend the entire movie reading subtitles? :burning: And I was looking forward to it too...

ceo_pte

Originally posted by sleuth14
So I'm going to have to spend the entire movie reading subtitles? :burning: And I was looking forward to it too...

it's better than listening to Latin :rolleyes:

dustin

UAIOE
Originally posted by ceo_pte
it's better than listening to Latin :rolleyes:

and Aramaic and Greek and whatever else he decides to throw in there.

Also, there can't be very much script involved as Jesus didnt have much to say his last 12hrs. I believe most of the story will be played out in the film and have little to do with the actual lines. I have heard that Gibson was actually thinking of not putting the subtitles in at all. :yikes:

tlatchaw

Not dead yet.
I understand that there are plenty of flashes to prior times in Christ's life that bear upon the plot too, so you shouldn't get just a snapshot of action without context.