The Politics of Terri

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Post your theories here! What do you suppose is making the Republicans turn this woman into their own personal political football? Do you think it's because of the abortion issue? Or pandering to the "religious right" (whatever that means)? Or trying to take attention away from other matters?

I'll listen to all comers because I can't for the life of me figure it out.

Pete

Repete
vraiblonde said:
Post your theories here! What do you suppose is making the Republicans turn this woman into their own personal political football? Do you think it's because of the abortion issue? Or pandering to the "religious right" (whatever that means)? Or trying to take attention away from other matters?

Republicans are more emotional and sensitive. :huggy:

Pete

Repete
I think they followed a member of leadership over a cliff. Don't know if it was DeLay for Frist.

Frist has most of my suspicion because he has Presidential ambitions.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
vraiblonde said:

:yeahthat: They have effectively managed to split a wide chasm into what was some pretty significant party cohesiveness.

I'm totally against them on this. I believe Michael Schaivo was Terri's husband and that the decision to withdraw the feeding tube is his and his alone. And I ain't budging on it.

I'm appalled at what's going on in the Republican party. For all they say about government "not meddling" into people's personal lives, that's what their doing here.

Hessian

Jeb Bush will not be forgiven...

correction: he will be forgiven BUT: He will not be forgotten by the Christian right. Look at it this way: Few people are given a "defining moment"...a governor may serve for years and his legacy is set by one or two moments: A plane crash...clemency for a murderer...a scandal with a secretary.

Jeb Bush has an opportunity to leave a clear legacy other than the Hurricanes. What is the value of human life? What lengths will people go to save a trapped miner? A missing sailor? A child who fell through the ice?

How much effort is need to restore a feeding tube?...to promote physical therapy? To take Terri outside in the gardens?...who can say that there would be no improvement??? (These options apparently have been refused by Shaivo).

We had governors willing to face Down US Marshalls over segregated schools.., why don't we have a governor willing to step in an save a life? The most he is risking is sanctions...and legal games--yet his reputation would be assured in the History books that he truly was: Pro Life.

The Christian right will grow weary of those who pay only lip service to their causes. (Both Bushes)

C

czygvtwkr

I think the put it in take it out put it in take it out is far worse than either fate.

If I was in this situation and any politician or person that wasn't a family member got involved and I some how came back to life the first thing I would do is go smack them up side the head.

Its none of Jeb Bush's buisness, none of my buisness, and its none of your buisness either Hessian.

C

czygvtwkr

sleuth said:
I'm totally against them on this. I believe Michael Schaivo was Terri's husband and that the decision to withdraw the feeding tube is his and his alone. And I ain't budging on it.

While I agree with his decision I disagree that he has the sole vote in this. Her parents and him collectively have the decision to make. From what I understand there was no trouble between her husband and her parents until money became involved.

Pete

Repete
Hessian said:
correction: he will be forgiven BUT: He will not be forgotten by the Christian right. Look at it this way: Few people are given a "defining moment"...a governor may serve for years and his legacy is set by one or two moments: A plane crash...clemency for a murderer...a scandal with a secretary.

Jeb Bush has an opportunity to leave a clear legacy other than the Hurricanes. What is the value of human life? What lengths will people go to save a trapped miner? A missing sailor? A child who fell through the ice?

How much effort is need to restore a feeding tube?...to promote physical therapy? To take Terri outside in the gardens?...who can say that there would be no improvement??? (These options apparently have been refused by Shaivo).

We had governors willing to face Down US Marshalls over segregated schools.., why don't we have a governor willing to step in an save a life? The most he is risking is sanctions...and legal games--yet his reputation would be assured in the History books that he truly was: Pro Life.

The Christian right will grow weary of those who pay only lip service to their causes. (Both Bushes)
I think we have seen the last of politcians like Lester Maddox and George Wallace. Good in the fact they were biggots, bad in the case these men were driven by held strongly and defiantly to their beliefs, albeit wrongheaded. The religious right has no alternative than the conservative wing of the Republican party. There is no other legitimate political organization for them to support.

Both the Bush boys did all they could do within the powers authorized them by the constitution. To overstep the bounds of law would have caused anarchy.

The Republican leadership in congress on the other hand I think woefully misjudged public sentiment and the party followed the leadership over a cliff like lemmings.

I would venture to say that in 6 months this will all fade from memory and be a non issue.

Mikeinsmd

Pete said:
Both the Bush boys did all they could do within the powers authorized them by the constitution. To overstep the bounds of law would have caused anarchy.

The Republican leadership in congress on the other hand I think woefully misjudged public sentiment and the party followed the leadership over a cliff like lemmings.

I would venture to say that in 6 months this will all fade from memory and be a non issue.
AGREED!! :clap:

B

Bruzilla

The answer you seek is simple and can be summed up in a name: Senator Bill Nelson (D-FL). Senator Nelson is up for re-election next year and his seat isn't very secure. The talking points that Chris Wallace showed to Senator Mel Martinez (R-FL), and that Martinez denied ever seeing (although his reaction showed what a lie that was) spelled out pretty clearly that the political motivation in all of this was to paint Terry Schiavo as a victim and try to paint the Republicans as saviors and Democrats as the bad guys. And as frequently happens when Republicans get involved in skullduggery operations... the opposite happens.

Mel Marinez has shown himself to be a liar to many of us down here. Jeb Bush lined up for his drink of Kool-Aid before checking the facts, and now he's being seen as a weak, powerless, governor. And about 80% of the Republicans down here have a very poor opinion of "our" Congress and are starting to feel that they have gone too far and that the religious right are gaining too much power.

It looks like it's once again coming up roses for the Democrats and organic fertilizer for the Republicans.

Charles

vraiblonde said:

They misjudged the public opinion. Their basic idea is fine but DeLay and Frist pushed it beyond common sense. It is more political than compassion because this whole scenario should have been fixed in 1998 after the death of Hugh Finn and Governor Gilmore's self serving antics. It was an identical situation.

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
Live or die I just want it to be over so that the politicians can go back to debating things that actually have some bearing on our government.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Bustem' Down said:
Live or die I just want it to be over so that the politicians can go back to debating things that actually have some bearing on our government.
Make no mistake, this has HUGE bearing on all of us. If Congress passes some law that says citizens have no right to refuse medical treatment, or that your next-of-kin has no right to make medical decisions on your behalf in the event you cannot speak for yourself, it will affect us all.

This behavior is doubly amazing coming from the pro-marriage crowd.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Hess...

I'm stunned. You are the last person, one of the last anyway, I would have expected to choose raw emotions over the facts.

Wow.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
You're only scratching the surface...

If Congress passes some law that says citizens have no right to refuse medical treatment

Try this on for size; Congress is attempting, with this Shiavo bill farce, to decide the relationship between husband and wife.

It wants to completely overturn everything Florida has said about one simple case. Toss out the appeals rulings. Throw it all out.

The Feds aren't interested in just the bedroom anymore. Now, it's EVERY interaction and conversation you've ever had together.

This is maddness.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
If true...

was to paint Terry Schiavo as a victim and try to paint the Republicans as saviors and Democrats as the bad guys

...then we need a new word to cover beyond stupid.

The Democrats don't have a damn thing to do with this. Hell, they helped pass this stupid law in Congress at hyper speed.

The primary judge is a Conservative Rupublican who just got kicked out of his own church.

There ain't a friggin Democrat in sight.

The leading freak attorney is this moron Randall Terry who makes Howard Dean seem like the poster child for chilling out. It's not Dershowitz or Johnny.

The Dems are actually doing a very good job of letting us shoot ourselves in the foot. Repeatedly.

This is amazing.

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
vraiblonde said:
Make no mistake, this has HUGE bearing on all of us. If Congress passes some law that says citizens have no right to refuse medical treatment, or that your next-of-kin has no right to make medical decisions on your behalf in the event you cannot speak for yourself, it will affect us all.

This behavior is doubly amazing coming from the pro-marriage crowd.
I don't think we have to worry about any law like that being passed. They can't agree on a marraige law and if they did try and pass one, then I think the Supreme court would step in.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Bustem' Down said:
I don't think we have to worry about any law like that being passed. They can't agree on a marraige law and if they did try and pass one, then I think the Supreme court would step in.
Congress just passed Terri's Law to try and circumvent the state court's authority and it was signed into law by Bush. Jeb Bush tried that same little trick a year ago and the FL court said, "So sorry - that's unconstitutional," and struck it down. I assume the same thing will happen this time around.

Jeb Bush actually petitioned the court so that HE could become her legal guardian.

So don't think it can't happen because it IS happening.

B

Bruzilla

The nutjobs are trying to make a case based on the Gonzalez case where Clinton sent in Federal officers to take that kid away from the familiy that the courts said had custody. Basically a big FU to the Florida courts, and they want Bush to do the same thing, but I think he's had his eyes opened to the reality of the situation and there's no way he's going to drink the Kool-Aid too.

There are a few Democrats, namely those who are up for re-election, who did come out on Terri's side for a short time, but they've now receded into the woodwork as well, and its just a lot of ignorant Republicans and religious freaks pushing this.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
Bustem' Down said:
:yeahthat: However, we now have people taking another look at states' rights, and I presume that will become a lasting debate.

This Shiavo thing reminds me of an old rock song by either Don Henley or the Eagles about "Dirty Laundry." "...is the head dead yet? You know the boys in the newsroom, got a runnin' bet, get the widow on the set, give us dirty laundry..."

The press has sold an awful lot of advertising and air time on this one.