The Real Problem Causing Illegal Immigration

awpitt

Main Streeter
The problem of illegal immigration will never be solved until we get to the real root of the problem.

Attachments

• arested.jpg
    arested.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 375

SamSpade

Well, THAT - and the general ringing of the dinner bell provided by the left -

1. Promising free healthcare and education - and any other benefit if they cross the border illegally
  2. Passing on the information that claiming asylum will usually amount to a free pass inside, especially if you can produce a CHILD and pose as a family.
  3. Facilitating the convoys of persons moving through Mexico to get to the border and
  4. Opposing pretty much every measure to make entry into the United States harder.

I think it might have been Larry who, years ago, mentioned that hiring illegals made it hard for some companies to compete for business - so lots of them do it. They know it's illegal, but they do it anyway because so few companies get punished for it, making it doubly hard to NOT do. They learn it's not high risk, but if they don't do it, their competitors will beat them.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The problem of illegal immigration will never be solved until we get to the real root of the problem.

Look at you and me all agreeing and chit :huggy:

In Maryland you have to fill out forms when you make a new hire. Supposedly this is to make sure you are hiring legally. Clearly it is not enforced because there are a crap ton of illegal workers in the state.

So a couple of things:

The laws need to be upheld, period.
And people who break those laws need to be punished.

Neither of those things is happening right now.

SamSpade

What's weird is this:

If you don't enforce the law at all, you encourage people to break it but in the case of hiring illegals -
If you SPARINGLY enforce the law, you encourage it even MORE, because in the case of jobs where you must compete directly for jobs, such as construction - you can't compete against someone who can always underbid you, because he pays his labor force peanuts.
If you're in a service business or manufacturing, you can undercut competitors - but you'll go under if many of them can hire staff that will work for less than minimum wage.

This is unusual because in a lot of cases, if you only punish people here and there, people who break a law will get the message.
For example, if you ticket 10% of the speeders on a stretch of road - word gets out - slow down, or you'll pay.
But if you sparingly hit people who hire illegals - and only slap them on the wrist - you encourage a LOT more of it.

awpitt

Main Streeter

In Maryland you have to fill out forms when you make a new hire. Supposedly this is to make sure you are hiring legally. Clearly it is not enforced because there are a crap ton of illegal workers in the state.

So a couple of things:

Exactly.

Believe it or not, people come here illegally so they can work. If employers wouldn't hire them, there would be one less reason for them to come here.

Sapidus

So a couple of things:

Well if the Presidents companies dont follows the laws why would other companies be worried about the laws bring enforced?

For nearly two decades, the Trump Organization has relied on a roving crew of Latin American employees to build fountains and waterfalls, sidewalks and rock walls at the company’s winery and its golf courses from New York to Florida.

Other employees at Trump clubs were so impressed by the laborers — who did strenuous work with heavy stone — that they nicknamed them “Los Picapiedras,” Spanish for “the Flintstones.”

For years, their ranks have included workers who entered the United States illegally, according to two former members of the crew. Another employee, still with the company, said that remains true today.

President Trump “doesn’t want undocumented people in the country,” said one worker, Jorge Castro, a 55-year-old immigrant from Ecuador without legal status who left the company in April after nine years. “But at his properties, he still has them.”

AnthonyJames

R.I.P. My Brother Rick
If you were the billionaire CEO of a company, would you do the hiring yourself or have your HR department do it for you?

nutz

Exactly.

Believe it or not, people come here illegally so they can work. If employers wouldn't hire them, there would be one less reason for them to come here.
Thats simply not true. Why do they line up at Home Depot, etc for day labor? Because the fed, Facebook or IBM laid them off? They come here looking for a better world to live in.

SamSpade

Exactly.

I do believe that is a big part of it, although I do think prosperity has much more to do with it.

I've known personally a handful of persons that I knew were here illegally. One was a construction worker originally from Brazil - he worked long hours - was paid entirely with cash - had no benefits and I seriously doubt his employer wasted a nickel on insuring him - he came cheaper than anyone else. He lived with other Brazilians and sent about half his money home. He was only here about a year or so and went back home. He'd made enough money and didn't get caught.

But I've known others that live with family or friends when they get here, and they're in absolutely no hurry to find work.

However, there's no question that if there's no work, there's very little reason to stay. I just think the Democrats would still find some way to keep them here anyway.

nutz

So they can work. Which is what I already said. Not sure how you missed that.
I didnt miss it, you are. Day labor is mostly hired out by people, not employers. Day labor doesnt expect to work more than one day. :doh: Or are you proposing anyone not checking for proper documentation be locked up?

awpitt

Main Streeter
I didnt miss it, you are. Day labor is mostly hired out by people, not employers. Day labor doesnt expect to work more than one day. :doh: Or are you proposing anyone not checking for proper documentation be locked up?

If someone hires an undocumented immigrant, they're in violation of the law. Doesn't matter if it's a person or a company.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Believe it or not, people come here illegally so they can work.

And frequently that work involves selling drugs to our kids.

Nobody cares about the nice folks who come here to work legitimately and become Americans. We welcome those folks with open arms. The problem is the shitbags who see an excellent opportunity to prey on "rich" Americans and screw up our society.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
...mentioned that hiring illegals made it hard for some companies to compete for business - so lots of them do it. They know it's illegal, but they do it anyway because so few companies get punished for it, making it doubly hard to NOT do. They learn it's not high risk, but if they don't do it, their competitors will beat them.
AKA, "the Lance Armstrong gambit" (for any of you sports/cycling fans out there).

Well if the Presidents companies dont follows the laws why would other companies be worried about the laws bring enforced?
And just like that the air was sucked out of the room....

--- End of line (MCP)

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
I know. Pointing out your hypocrisy tends to do that quickly
So you're pleased to be the party-chiller/killer?

Why not instead engage in a more positive manner? You could rephrase your post here along the lines of, "I agree, this is a problem. So what would anyone say if Trump were also part of the problem?" I bet you'd get a different, and more engaging, response. I know I would. And then you just might find out that the folks you are quick to label hypocrites aren't.

Unless, of course, that's not your intent?

--- End of line (MCP)

Sapidus

So you're pleased to be the party-chiller/killer?

Why not instead engage in a more positive manner? You could rephrase your post here along the lines of, "I agree, this is a problem. So what would anyone say if Trump were also part of the problem?" I bet you'd get a different, and more engaging, response. I know I would. And then you just might find out that the folks you are quick to label hypocrites aren't.

Unless, of course, that's not your intent?

--- End of line (MCP)

BS. No one on here especially the person I replied directly do would ever criticize a man she calls "daddy"

Why should I have to tip toe around people who have made it clear in their support for Trump that they dont care about anyone but themselves.

They allowed Trump to divide this country and call people unspeakable things and support his racism, sexism and bigotry and i am expected to be positive.

Stop trying to play the victim and man up

She doesnt care that he has one set of rules publicly but a different one privately for him and his rich cronies. That is true of most other posters on here. They are incapable of admitting Trump is inept and they made a mistake voting for him.

Last edited: