The Slurpee Turns 40

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
http://www.slate.com/id/2126309/?nav=ais

I love Slurpees and I laughed at the paragraph below:
Explaining the appeal of the Slurpee is a bit like explaining the appeal of pure oxygen or terrific sex: Those who don't get it are simply not to be trusted. Slurpees are divine because of their unapologetic garishness, a giddy reminder that no amount of sugar is ever too much. That the expression "brainfreeze"—meaning the needling headache brought on by drinking something too cold too quickly—was trademarked in 1994 says it all: The point is masochistic, to find pleasure in pain, to embrace evil over good...My point here is to say that it's not (too) hyperbolic to equate drinking a Slurpee with surrendering to the greed and gluttony that is being a chronically shortsighted, diabolically unthinking American. In this, the Slurpee serves as a precursor to everything else 7-Eleven is about: namely, smoking cigarettes and drinking too much beer. (The franchise is the nation's No. 1 retailer of Budweiser.)

Agee

Tonio said:
http://www.slate.com/id/2126309/?nav=ais

I love Slurpees and I laughed at the paragraph below:
Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">In this, the Slurpee serves as a precursor to everything else 7-Eleven is about: drinking too much beer. (The franchise is the nation's No. 1 retailer of Budweiser.) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Surprised 7-11 never came out with a beer flavored Slurpee :ohwell:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Airgasm said:
Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">In this, the Slurpee serves as a precursor to everything else 7-Eleven is about: drinking too much beer. (The franchise is the nation's No. 1 retailer of Budweiser.) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Oh, it's been tried but maybe not by them. :whistle:

K

Kizzy

cattitude said:
Crap. I'm even older than the dang Slurpee. :sad:

I may not be able to fit in my wedding dress, but I'm not older that a Slurpee. :rass:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Airgasm said:
I'm not much of a drinker, but I do enjoy frozen margaritas. I supposed that with a beer Slurpee, the buzz would take the edge off the brain freeze.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Kizzy said:
I may not be able to fit in my wedding dress, but I'm not older that a Slurpee. :rass:
Kizzy said:
She can spell better than you though. :dance:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Tonio said:
I'm not much of a drinker, but I do enjoy frozen margaritas. I supposed that with a beer Slurpee, the buzz would take the edge off the brain freeze.
Believe me, you can't drink it fast enough to get a buzz. :lol: I actually like the cola ones with a shot or two of rum in it. :yum:

Otter

Nothing to see here
And....

Thirty-nine years ago today, the first episode of Star Trek aired...
32 yrs ago today I screwed up. :lmao:

Agee

cattitude said:
Crap. I'm even older than the dang Slurpee. :sad:
Welcome to the "Older than Slurpee Club"...:sad: Maybe we could start our own private forum :cheers:

I remember paying a dime for one, and the only flavor was Cola.

K

Kizzy

cattitude said:
Well I got a few years on ya, maybe you can work on it. :dance:

If there comes a day I can get back into it, I'm wearing it to the next forum get together. :roflmao:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
otter said:
Thirty-nine years ago today, the first episode of Star Trek aired...
Wasn't '66 also the year that "The Monkees" and "Batman" debuted? Strange year for TV.