The stars at night...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
...are big and bright...

San Antonio gets 9 out of 10 from me.

The River Walk

Bullethole shooting range (got to shoot a full auto MP5 :wood:)

Tubing the Guadalupe River in New Braunfels

The Alamo is WAY cooler than everyone says. It is NOT part of a strip mall!

The people are laid back and friendly.

The shear variety of bars both on the Walk and on the street.

And last but not least, because it's...

DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS

Ponytail

Larry Gude said:
...are big and bright...

The River Walk

I'm going to try and arrange a trip to go to Dallas, then to San Antonio in Sept. :biggrin: Sounds fun. I just hope I get to see some of it when I get there. :really:

Tina2001aniT

Larry Gude said:
...are big and bright...

The River Walk

I LOVE San Antonio and the riverwalk...definately one of my favorite places ever...

I'm going to miss not being close to Dallas, we took a weekend trip down there last week. I enjoyed San Antonio when we visited there too. Pretty place, but so hot!!!! :cheers:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Larry Gude said:
Yeah, we couldn't figure that out. EVERYONE we talked to said the Alamo wasn't all that and acted like it was some tinky blob in the middle of the city. Actually, it's a full-fledged historical site, complete with a storyteller in the plaza and tours, both guided and self-guided. Much more interesting and entertaining than we had been led to believe. :yay:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
But it's a dry heat...

teverheart2002 said:
I'm going to miss not being close to Dallas, we took a weekend trip down there last week. I enjoyed San Antonio when we visited there too. Pretty place, but so hot!!!! :cheers:

In all seriousness, I'd rather stroll around San Antonio in 98 degrees/65% humidity than DC at 90 degrees, 80-85% humidity. Here, I feel like I need a shower every 15 minutes, there, I just didn't feel as miserable and sticky. Not even close.

mrweb

Iron City
vraiblonde said:
Yeah, we couldn't figure that out. EVERYONE we talked to said the Alamo wasn't all that and acted like it was some tinky blob in the middle of the city. Actually, it's a full-fledged historical site, complete with a storyteller in the plaza and tours, both guided and self-guided. Much more interesting and entertaining than we had been led to believe. :yay:
I loved San Antonio, the river walk, the Alamo....could have done without the basic training though.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Dude...

FromTexas said:
I love all of ya'll! :huggy:

:lol:

...all the trees there are 5 feet tall and you feel like you can see the curvature of the earth...because you can!

You must feel like you are living in a straight jacket around here?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Quick joke:

Tourist arriving at DFW:

"How do we get to San Antonio?"

DFW person: "Look over there, see that tall thing?"

Tourist: "Yep".

DFW: "That's the Tower of the Americas. Head thataway."

Larry Gude

Strung Out
How so???

Bustem' Down said:
Naw, Houston is better.

But, I guess I'm biased. :lol:

A certain someone said Houston kinda sucked. Serious, when we go back, should we go to Houston? What to do?

(It is the home, BTW, of Southpaws, the GREATEST lefty guitar shop on this planet)

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'd almost go to west Texas, maybe El Paso or Odessa, to see the towns and drink their beer. I'll bet THEY have some excellent Mexican and BBQ on the side of the road :yay:

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
Larry Gude said:
A certain someone said Houston kinda sucked. Serious, when we go back, should we go to Houston? What to do?

(It is the home, BTW, of Southpaws, the GREATEST lefty guitar shop on this planet)
Well, Houston is Big. It's the largest city there. Downtown isn't much, you have to go to SW Houston for the nightlife. The Richmond strip. As far as tourist stuff, it's not the best. You do have Space Center Houston, the San Jacinto Battlefield, AstroWorld (Six Flags), The galleria on the West Side is a real nice pricey mall.

Oh yeah, if your into golf, The Woodlands is about and hour north of Downtown. they have a really nice course. The PGA has or has had some kind of tournament there, not sure what though.

Last edited:

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
vraiblonde said:
I'd almost go to west Texas, maybe El Paso or Odessa, to see the towns and drink their beer. I'll bet THEY have some excellent Mexican and BBQ on the side of the road :yay:
Yeah they do. Best you can find.

Larry Gude said:
In all seriousness, I'd rather stroll around San Antonio in 98 degrees/65% humidity than DC at 90 degrees, 80-85% humidity. Here, I feel like I need a shower every 15 minutes, there, I just didn't feel as miserable and sticky. Not even close.

It's that bad? Guess I'll find out when we get up there. But for now :lalala: :razz:

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
Larry Gude said:

I didn't say it sucked. :neener:

I said for tourists its not as wonderful as San Antonio, Austin, etc... in the middle of the summer. The time to go to Houston is Rodeo time, Bayou Fest, July 4th, and a few others. If you are really into museums, zoos, and such then they do have great ones of those for year round. You saw the much better stuff your first time around. :yay: