The U.S. Open in Pinehurst

Might as well start early, might not have a chance to be excited for Lefty later: Phil Mickelson's tied for the lead at the U.S. Open, at one under through 2, on his way to claiming a career Grand Slam. :clap:

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Might as well start early, might not have a chance to be excited for Lefty later: Phil Mickelson's tied for the lead at the U.S. Open, at one under through 2, on his way to claiming a career Grand Slam. :clap:

I hope so for him. Never played there, but I would have played from the white tees, for sure. I know my golfing limitations.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Well Phil was lackluster. In fact I found the entire tournament a little boring. We need Tiger back :lol:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Well Phil was lackluster. In fact I found the entire tournament a little boring. We need Tiger back :lol:

Tom Boswell wrote a piece to that effect so, instead of writing him and telling him why he is wrong, I''l just use you. :evil:

Tiger Woods is icon, legend and super hero. At his height, for some 10-12 years, there has never been his equal and may never be. He made us expect a level of play, week after week, shot after shot, so far beyond reasonable as to be absurd. He single handedly transformed the sport and made it enormous. In the past, a performance like we just enjoyed would have been considered great golf, great US Open golf, a superb performance. But, that is the measure of Tigers influence.

That sort of thing, by it's very nature, must come to and end and it has. He may well recover and play well again. He may well beat Jack's major record. And, it may be over. A win here and there but, nothing like his glory days. He is wore down and the fire is gone. It would be Tiger like to get it back and spoil us all over again but, it's time to start enjoying 'normal' great golf again.

Kymer played a brilliant tournament.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Tom Boswell wrote a piece to that effect so, instead of writing him and telling him why he is wrong, I''l just use you. :evil:

Tiger Woods is icon, legend and super hero. At his height, for some 10-12 years, there has never been his equal and may never be. He made us expect a level of play, week after week, shot after shot, so far beyond reasonable as to be absurd. He single handedly transformed the sport and made it enormous. In the past, a performance like we just enjoyed would have been considered great golf, great US Open golf, a superb performance. But, that is the measure of Tigers influence.

That sort of thing, by it's very nature, must come to and end and it has. He may well recover and play well again. He may well beat Jack's major record. And, it may be over. A win here and there but, nothing like his glory days. He is wore down and the fire is gone. It would be Tiger like to get it back and spoil us all over again but, it's time to start enjoying 'normal' great golf again.

Kymer played a brilliant tournament.

Come on Larry, Tiger could come back and go Tiger once again. Stranger things have happened, Like the runner-up (Compton) having had two heart transplants in his past and able to grind it out for 4 rounds and the practice required.

Let Tiger heal, then let him show us what he can bring back.

Kaymer did play brilliantly.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
just loved watching it, as one of the talking heads said, What would the NATIVE areas be like if they had gotten some rain weeks in advance.... I think Tiger has lost it, will he be as intimidating as before, no will he win tourneys, sure.... I was getting tired of only seeing HIM on the screen during those times.

Ken King

PREMO Member
just loved watching it, as one of the talking heads said, What would the NATIVE areas be like if they had gotten some rain weeks in advance.... I think Tiger has lost it, will he be as intimidating as before, no will he win tourneys, sure.... I was getting tired of only seeing HIM on the screen during those times.

I guess we will see next week at Congressional when he returns.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I guess we will see next week at Congressional when he returns.

Won't make the cut. That's not malice. I love the guy. It's just recognition of how much it takes to play well at that level. Again, he spoiled us and raised everyone's expectations, unreasonably, as to what really good golf looks like.

Can you imagine if he makes the cut and wins going away and then has to face the prospect that all the hard work and extra practice, over all those years, destroying his body in the process, may have been a detriment to his game? Over preparation?

:buddies:

Ken King

PREMO Member
Won't make the cut. That's not malice. I love the guy. It's just recognition of how much it takes to play well at that level. Again, he spoiled us and raised everyone's expectations, unreasonably, as to what really good golf looks like.

Can you imagine if he makes the cut and wins going away and then has to face the prospect that all the hard work and extra practice, over all those years, destroying his body in the process, may have been a detriment to his game? Over preparation?

It is quite possible that he will not make the cut. It is also possible that his surgery worked completely and he comes back on fire. Either way I'm hoping for a good showing and a return to his former self, whether that happens or not will be seen. I just don't think he is down for the count. I expect him to show up with low expectations, given his rustiness, and then go about amazing us like he once did.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Well, Tiger didn't make the cut, he wasn't even close. He did however state that he felt no pain or discomfort at all which was a concern. He looked really rusty and out of touch with his short game, from what I saw. Don't know if he will play again before "The Open" or not, but it looks like he could use it.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Well, Tiger didn't make the cut, he wasn't even close. He did however state that he felt no pain or discomfort at all which was a concern. He looked really rusty and out of touch with his short game, from what I saw. Don't know if he will play again before "The Open" or not, but it looks like he could use it.

To his credit, he said the main reason he was there was to serve the event, get more fans, more attention, etc.

Again, the guy raised our expectations WAY beyond what they used to be and no one has taken his place. No one is out there playing at that level, that standard he set, week in and week out. It was an amazing period in golf and he made us expect way too much.

In in order for him to get that sharp again, he'd be going right back to a work load that wrecked his body in the first place. I hope he, finally, gets smart about the majors and hones his practice and play around peaking for them. I hate to say that as it certainly back burners every other event but, to me, for him, they are the MAJORS and to heck with the rest. I just think it absurd for him to regain anything approaching that level on a week in and week out basis. And I think it foolish and counter productive for him in particular to even try.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
question answered ;-)))) wow course played pretty hard, saw prez cup here ... Would love to be member threr for sure !!!!!