The Ugly Americans of soccer

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
In one scene, a Burmese journalist says "For some reason, the [American] people I meet in my country are not the same as the ones I knew in the United States. A mysterious change seems to come over Americans when they go to a foreign land. They isolate themselves socially. They live pretentiously. They are loud and ostentatious."

Somewhere in France today a group of ugly American female soccer players are sipping tea from imaginary cups to mock a polite society they make no efforts to understand or respect. The Americans are loud and ostentatious. They are ugly Americans personified.

If the female soccer players are trying to be ambassadors for their game, they are failing miserably. I cared little for their sport before they arrived in France, and my interest has chilled considerably in the ensuing weeks. I’m not much for gaudy displays and vulgar language, so I’m not enamored of what passes for “personality” in our American Women’s Soccer team.

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2019/07/the_ugly_americans_of_soccer.html

stgislander

PREMO Member
"For some reason, the [American] people I meet in my country are not the same as the ones I knew in the United States. A mysterious change seems to come over Americans when they go to a foreign land. They isolate themselves socially. They live pretentiously. They are loud and ostentatious."

Yep... sounds like me during my month long "vacation" in the UK. :lmao:

:sarcasm:

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Somewhere in France today a group of ugly American female soccer players are sipping tea from imaginary cups to mock a polite society they make no efforts to understand or respect. The Americans are loud and ostentatious. They are ugly Americans personified.

These brats are disgusting. It is a shame that they represent our country.
What gets me scratching my head (other than the lice) is that I truly believe not everyone on the team is like these "stars." But when you get Fox Sports (the network fluffing the WWC and these "stars") and numerous others doing the same I imagine it's difficult to say anything counter w/o fear of retribution.

The prize of winning the WWC is the goal. So just like in other jobs/situations (we've all, no doubt, found ourselves in) I'm guessing those not on-board with these "stars" are just having to bite their tongues. There is great irony in all this, though (irony I'm sure our "stars" are too self-focused to see, never-mind understand).

--- End of line (MCP)

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I get super tired of that phrase "ugly American". Ever see some of the foreigners who come over here? They require instruction to know how to use a freaking toilet. They bitch loud and long about the food and make no attempt to learn English. And that's just the ones who immigrate illegally to live here on our dime.

The "ugly American" stereotype is false and stupid and perpetuated by ignorant twits who need to find a cave. ALL human beings can be ugly and rude, not just Americans.

These soccer cows are ugly Leftists who hate America. They are not Americans in any meaningful way, and do not represent us. This was a stupid piece by a stupid person trying to make a point that fell flatter than a slow squirrel. And on Independence Day, no less, when Americans all across this country are celebrating.

:loser:

Reactions: BOP

TPD

the poor dad
The "ugly American" stereotype is false and stupid and perpetuated by ignorant twits who need to find a cave. ALL human beings can be ugly and rude, not just Americans.

:loser:

Not sure it's a false stereotype. We have traveled overseas many times and we can always point out the 'ugly Americans' - quite embarrassing for sure. But yeah - a lot of humans can be ugly and rude but Americans do seem to stick out like a bandaid in Europe...

Yooper

"Too much agreement kills a chat."
~Eldridge Cleaver
Sorry you felt that way about the article. I must respectfully disagree.

Having lived overseas for much of my 30-year military career I find the "ugly American" moniker to be far too true. Granted, 99% of Americans do a great job of not being ugly, but the 1% is so obnoxious that this very small minority tars everyone with a broad brush. (We certainly can apply the "ugly" charge to foreigners being here as well, but I'm not concerned with them; I am concerned about our brand.)

Anyway, I thought the writer of the article did a good job tying the charge to the soccer players because though they are small in quantity they make up for it in (negative) quality by the spotlight they have been enjoying.

Megan Rapinoe can claim (as she did yesterday or the day before) that she's as American and patriotic as the next American, but when she qualifies her statement by crapping on our country she is being the "soccer cow {who is an] ugly Leftist who hates America" you mentioned. Your sentiment is exactly why I thought it appropriate to post the article on July 4th: while we should be celebrating our unity these soccer "stars" are pushing an agenda that highlights divisiveness and disunity and showcases their ingratitude to the entire world. Hardly the good ambassadors we would hope for. Hence, the "ugly American."

--- End of line (MCP)

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Not sure it's a false stereotype. We have traveled overseas many times and we can always point out the 'ugly Americans' - quite embarrassing for sure. But yeah - a lot of humans can be ugly and rude but Americans do seem to stick out like a bandaid in Europe...

And obnoxious Asian women stick out hard in any US tourist venue with their literal pushing and shoving and snarly 'tude like they own the place (as they crap on the floor because they don't know how to use a toilet). And they drive the same way.

I am not saying that Americans can't be obnoxious, because many of them most certainly are (we have several examples right on here). But there are just as many ugly Asians and Hispanics and Europeans and Canadians as there are Americans, and yet only "ugly American" sticks. I'm over that dumb stereotype.

SamSpade

A woman I met once - from South Africa, who ran a bed and breakfast, confirmed what I'd always suspected about the ugly American thing.

Basically, the kind of American who can afford to traipse all over Europe is not the same kind of person who can't. She said the Americans she met in her own country were just that, loud, vulgar, rude and so forth. But she said when she came HERE, she found Americans very different - enough that she wanted to move here and stay. And she concluded that it wasn't that Americans were boorish - it was rich privileged Americans who were boorish.

And that's a sentiment I share.

SamSpade

I am not saying that Americans can't be obnoxious, because many of them most certainly are (we have several examples right on here). But there are just as many ugly Asians and Hispanics and Europeans and Canadians as their are Americans, and yet only "ugly American" sticks. I'm over that dumb stereotype.

Back in the 70's, my family were touring a farm museum in Pennsylvania - and we heard all kinds of rude remarks from the German family behind us about the place.

At one point, the mother snipped - about the outdoor ovens they used to bake bread - "oh how unsanitary!".
My mom having had enough, turned around and snapped "at least WE put BREAD in our ovens!".

That pretty much ended their griping.

Yooper

...it was rich privileged Americans who were boorish.
I'll buy that (especially since it lines up with my experience).

Sort of like some of the USWNT...?

Anyway, well said. T/Y.

--- End of line (MCP)

Yooper

Megan Rapinoe can claim (as she did yesterday or the day before) that she's as American and patriotic as the next American, but when she qualifies her statement by crapping on our country she is being the "soccer cow {who is an] ugly Leftist who hates America" you mentioned.

Aside from how stupid this is (like, what, rename it to "July the 3rd +1" or "July 5th - 1" or any variation of the Monty Python gag?) this is obviously what Ms. Rapinoe thinks when she says "patriotic."

--- End of line (MCP)

Hijinx

I think Rapino's biggest problem is that she is a Dyke and pissed off because she was born without a dick.
I wonder how many others on that team have the same problem and the others are keeping quiet because they just don't need the hassle of offending the rug munchers.
There is no doubt Rapino is the leader of this band. How many of the others are inclined the same way?

Yooper

Chris Russo (the sports talk radio guy) gave the USWNT his third "Bad Job" on today's (Friday, July 5) MLB Channel "High Heat" program for the team's whining a) that they are not the only soccer game on Sunday and b) that they are the earliest of all the games.

Russo opined that the team should a) realize that their game will be a great start to an all soccer Sunday ("will lift the boat"; the WWC final is followed by a number of MLS games and finishes with the USMNT final against Mexico in the Gold Cup) and b) spend more time playing the game and less being whiny (about the game time/uniqueness) and annoying (goal celebrations).

From this soccer fan's corner of the room, spot on, Chris. Spot on.

Comments made, this fan wishes both teams the best of luck (the USMNT will have a much more difficult task ahead of it with Mexico; the USWNT should prevail relatively easily against The Netherlands).

--- End of line (MCP)

Yooper

U.S. winger Megan Rapinoe’s forceful comments that she would not attend any White House celebration prompted Trump to respond in a series of tweets and caused plenty of controversy.

Speaking ahead of Sunday’s final against the Netherlands, Morgan said such talk had been premature but suggested such a visit was unlikely.

“I think we will make that decision after we finish Sunday’s game. I think there has been a lot of talk prematurely about the White House and about Trump but first we have to do business and then I think you guys know the answer to the question anyways,” she said.

Morgan was in the spotlight herself after scoring the winning goal in the 2-1 semi-final win over England on Tuesday and celebrating with a “sipping tea” gesture.

The 30-year-old said she was surprised at some of the criticism of the celebration suggesting men did not receive such scrutiny for the way they react to scoring.

“I feel that there is some sort of double standard for females in sports to feel like we have to be humble in our successes and have to celebrate, but not too much, and have to do something but it always has to be in a limited fashion,” she said.

On one hand, thank you for your candor.

On the other, put the shovel down, kids.

--- End of line (MCP)

Hijinx

I feel pretty sure that some of the women on that team do not hold with the sentiments of those who are doing the talking here.
I would hope that those who do not agree with the hate filled muff divers on the team would go to the White House and enjoy their visit.
I have been to the White House on a tourist tour , and can say it is definitely worth the trip.

With a chance to meet and actually speak to the President,it is something worth pissing off the lefties on the team.
It's a chance that may not come around again.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

I think Rapino's biggest problem is that she is a Dyke and pissed off because she was born without a dick. I wonder how many others on that team have the same problem and the others are keeping quiet because they just don't need the hassle of offending the rug munchers. There is no doubt Rapino is the leader of this band. How many of the others are inclined the same way?
Have you noticed that she is the only one that is a flaming homo? Can one call a female a homo? Anyway. Always want to be out in front. Always has the pink or other colored, short bitch dyke hair. Maybe a gofund me page can be setup for her to go to one of these counties to be an ambassador for soccer; Yemen, Iran, Brunei, Mauritania, Nigeria, Qatar, (Hey look. A word beginning with a, "Q", and not being followed by a "u", cool huh?), Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan, Somalia, Sudan, United Arab Emirates, or Pakistan. Of course, in these countries, the punishment for being muff diver, aka, a homosexual, queer, fagot, is death. Also, people get beat up over there by other people for being homosexual. Like stoned and sh-t. Or hit with big sticks and sh-t like that. And if they don't finish you off, I think that's where the government might take over. Not too sure about that one though. One thing is for sure though -- They have zero tolerance for homosexual degenerates. Of course, not wishing harm to dominatrix pegging appearing Rapino. Just pointing out that the freedom loving Nation she is lamenting and denigrating, is actually keeping her alive.