The WORST CAR EVER MADE

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The Channel Just showed up in my feed ..... the dude is genuinely happy to get the Yugo

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
If my dad had lived into the 1990s, I'm sure he would've had a couple of Yugos. He was a sucker for small cheap foreign cars. I have him to thank for my curse.

Grumpy

The Channel Just showed up in my feed ..... the dude is genuinely happy to get the Yugo
Freddy (Tavarish) has a bunch of good rebuilds out there. He has kinda merged with Jared (Wrench Every Day) and putting out about 2-3 vids a week. I enjoy them both.

glhs837

Power with Control
Got to drive one of these brand new about 1986 maybe 87. Shipmate of mine had the brand new redesigned Chevy full size transmission had an issue when they weren't going to get the tool for a month. They no s* gave him a brand new Yugo as a loaner. I got to drive 20 miles, 10 of those on the 101 from Mountain View into Sunnyvale. Thing was like a bad movie so bad, it's hilarious. Like make a Chevette feel like a Camaro bad.

Last edited:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I worked in a Gas Station in 1990. we had one come in for an Oil Change and some other work, I got to drive it around the block.

Yes the Yugo made my Chevette feel like a sprint car

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I worked in a Gas Station in 1990. we had one come in for an Oil Change and some other work, I got to drive it around the block.

Yes the Yugo made my Chevette feel like a sprint car
We look back on the Chevette now and cringe, but Wifey drove one when we married. We honeymooned at Blackwater Falls in WV. I thought we'd never make it up those mountains. I used it to commute to Alexandria for a year. I'd have to nail it at the end of the WW bridge and stay on it just to have enough speed to merge onto 210 from the old ramp. Good times...

limblips

PREMO Member
In the 70's on recruiting duty I got to drive new Chevettes and K-cars. I then decided if the government bought a car I wouldn't! They also bought Dodge trucks, I am on my 8th Ford.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
In the 70's on recruiting duty I got to drive new Chevettes and K-cars. I then decided if the government bought a car I wouldn't! They also bought Dodge trucks, I am on my 8th Ford.
Lol on the Dodge trucks. When I was out at Yuma on extended tdy back in the 80s we were issued a beater Dodge 4x4 to use to get around the proving grounds. With the pedal mashed to the floor it was a solid 30 minute run to get from the quarters all the way out to our testing area. Hammer down straight across rough dusty desert. Got a couple good sized knots in my noggin from hitting the roof of the cab. Every other day we were turning one truck in for another...

mitzi

We look back on the Chevette now and cringe, but Wifey drove one when we married. We honeymooned at Blackwater Falls in WV. I thought we'd never make it up those mountains. I used it to commute to Alexandria for a year. I'd have to nail it at the end of the WW bridge and stay on it just to have enough speed to merge onto 210 from the old ramp. Good times...

I had one. It went from 0 to 60 in 5 minutes. It actually was scary a few times (I commuted to DC), I thought I was going to get hit. Also, doing donuts on the Beltway in a snow storm wasn't fun either. I don't know why there was barely any traffic that day, I was lucky. On another note, it was a reliable little car. I had it 3 years and never had one problem with it.

Last edited:

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I had one. It went from 0 to 60 in 5 minutes. It actually was scary a few times (I commuted to DC), I thought I was going to get hit. Also, doing donuts on the Beltway in a snow storm wasn't fun either. I don't know why there was barely any traffic that day, I was lucky. On another note, it was a reliable little car. I had it 3 years and never had one problem with it.
And forgiving little bastids. When I was working at St. Inigoes I would use the back gate on Beachville Road in the evenings. One evening I pulled out on Route 5 and my oil light came on. After adding 2 1/2 qts to a 4 qt capacity engine, I was on my merry way. I checked/filled it weekly after that.

PeoplesElbow

Only time I was ever in a car that stopped running was a Chevette, dads old silver one broke a timing belt out in BFE. Not long after he traded it for a newer Chevette.

gemma_rae

In the early 90's my boss and I flew out to Colorado for a training seminar in Westminster, about 35 miles NW of Denver. Our rental car was a 3 cylinder Geo. We decided to go up in the mountains one afternoon to Estes Park, and of course I had to drive. The whole trip the automatic trans kept gearing up and down because it didn't have enough power to go up the mountain. The boss told me to stop doing that and I said doing what, the gas pedal hadn't been off the floor board for the last 45 minutes.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
The navy always had a bunch of K cars and dodge trucks. Not a one of the trucks had an automatic, everyone of the had a three on the tree.

limblips

PREMO Member
The navy always had a bunch of K cars and dodge trucks. Not a one of the trucks had an automatic, everyone of the had a three on the tree.
And it was amazing the number of duty drivers who couldn't drive a standard!