The Year Gun Control Died

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Back in January, prominent gun control advocate and then-presidential candidate Michael Bloomberg responded to reports that an armed church security guard stopped a would-be mass murderer by sniffing that such behavior is inappropriate.

"It may be true—I wasn't there and don't know the facts—that somebody in the congregation had his own gun and killed the person who murdered two other people, but it's the job of law enforcement to have guns and to decide when to shoot. You just do not want the average citizen carrying a gun in a crowded place," he said.

That comment hasn't aged well in a world dominated by names of victims of police violence such as George Floyd and Breonna Taylor, and uniformed perpetrators like former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin.

Before he was charged with murder for the killing of Floyd, Chauvin had 18 prior complaints filed against him. Of the three other officers fired and charged over Floyd's death, Tou Thao also had a record of complaints—six in total, including one that resulted in a $25,000 settlement for the use of excessive force.

Chauvin and Thao are part of a larger problem. Five years after a U.S. Justice Department report called for changes in how the Minneapolis Police Department handles officer misconduct, "law enforcement agencies have lacked either the authority or the will to discipline and remove bad officers from patrol. They have also failed to set clear criteria on the use of force and de-escalation," according to The Marshall Project.

https://reason.com/2020/06/05/the-year-gun-control-died/

officeguy

I dont consider the 'number of complaints' a great measure of whether someone is a good or bad cop. This has to be seen relative to the length of his career, the average number of complaints in a department and where he works. It may just mean that someone has worked a shitty beat for many years.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I dont consider the 'number of complaints' a great measure of whether someone is a good or bad cop.

Me neither. My perspective on that issue was permanently changed by some things an attorney friend of mine told me some years ago..a very liberal fella, I might add. He worked for a law firm that had the account for a fairly large police force in a major city. He said that the number of complaints filed against any particular officer was, in itself, no indication of a problem...that people taken under arrest routinely file complaints (as usually advised by their attys) for just about any excuse. Their attys want that tidbit on record in case it comes in handy...standard defense tactics.

He said the things to look for that matter are actual administrative actions taken in response to any complaint(s).

Reactions: BOP

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Just Like That, Gun Control Support and COVID-19 Died This Week

3. Weak Knees all around

The Internet is full of groveling masochistic whites begging forgiveness of blacks, many on their knees. My email folder is full of contrite apologies from educational institutions and big businesses from Walmart to JP Morgan. It’s the same virtue signaling we got a few weeks ago “We’re all in this together” as mayors and governors decidedly ignored their own shutdown rules, rules as varied, inconsistent , arbitrary and constantly changing as a massive game of Simon Says. The Spectator calls this “woke capitalism”. When you read the pabulum these weak-kneed institutions are churning out you probably could use Michael Walsh’s translating service:

Your guide to Leftspeak:
"White supremacy" = Western civilization
"Fundamental change" = total destruction
"Legitimate grievances" = "complete bullshit
"
Have a conversation about..." = agree with die
 or us
"Rights" = things not in the Constitution we want

4. And Yet This Time it does not Seem to be Working

Many blacks are not buying this nonsense any longer. Rasmussen reports black male likely voters’ approval of the President is over 40%.

If media coverage makes you doubt that they have caught on that they are being played as pawns, take a look at this video of a young black woman angrily shoving back the brick they had handed out to foment the riots at rich white rioters in an expensive car.

People like this woman, Thomas Sowell and Constance Owens are not alone in seeing through the cant. Read this plaint by a black cop attacking the notions espoused by BLM. He puts his life on the line to protect people who have been fooled into thinking he’s their enemy:

I realized that some of these people, who say Black Lives Matter, are full of hate and racism. Hate for cops, because of the false narrative that more black people are targeted and killed. Racism against white people, for a tragedy that began 100s of years ago, when most of the white people today weren’t even born yet. I realized that some in the African American community’s idea of “Justice” is the prosecution of ANY and EVERY cop or white man that kills or is believed to have killed a black man, no matter what the circumstances are. I realized the African American community refuses to look within to solve its major issues, and instead makes excuses and looks outside for solutions. I realized that a lot of people in the African American community lead with hate, instead of love. Division instead of Unity. Turmoil and rioting, instead of Peace. I realized that they have become the very entity that they claim they are fighting against.

I realized that the very reasons I became a cop, are the very reasons my own people hate me, and now in this toxic hateful racially charged political climate, I am now more likely to die,... and it is still hard for me to understand…. to this day.

5. Some Good News at the End of the Week

The New York Court of Appeals overruled an absurd lower court ruling that granted bail to two lawyers who had flung a Molotov cocktail at a police car and were handing out others to rioters. They were ordered returned to federal custody. (Bail had originally been guaranteed, by the way, by a third lawyer, Salmah Rizvi, who had worked for the Departments of State and Defense under Obama and who is connected to CAIR and the Muslim Brotherhood.)

The Lancet and the New England Journal of Medicine had rushed into print articles from a sketchy outfit, Surgisphere. These studies had not been peer-reviewed and seem to have been pure poppycock. In the Lancet, it was about the effectiveness of hydrochloroquine and chloroquine, anti-malarial drugs the President had suggested might be effective in treating COVID-19 and which grandma-killer Governor Andrew Cuomo had banned as a treatment in New York. Both once-prestigious medical journals have long been losing credibility, and this will certainly drive their authority down even further. David Burge is waiting for media coverage of this:

David Burge
@Iowahawkblog
As far as I can see, there has been a handful of perfunctory, bloodless mentions of the retraction by major US news providers, none mentioning their previous coverage of it.
Oddly, the press elsewhere (UK, Europe, India) seems to treat it as if it's quite newsworthy.
7:47 PM · Jun 5, 2020·Twitter Web App
I dunno, I think there might be some kind of interesting 10 minute between-Polident-ads segment on corrupted research in the highest tiers of medical journal during a global pandemic, and self reflection on how media contributed to its spread.
Haha! I kill myself sometimes.

https://www.americanthinker.com/art...ntrol_support_and_covid19_died_this_week.html

officeguy

Me neither. My perspective on that issue was permanently changed by some things an attorney friend of mine told me some years ago..a very liberal fella, I might add. He worked for a law firm that had the account for a fairly large police force in a major city. He said that the number of complaints filed against any particular officer was, in itself, no indication of a problem...that people taken under arrest routinely file complaints (as usually advised by their attys) for just about any excuse. Their attys want that tidbit on record in case it comes in handy...standard defense tactics.

He said the things to look for that matter are actual administrative actions taken in response to any complaint(s).

Yes, that. There is a difference whether you work as supervisor in the forensics lab or whether you are on the warrants squad. Just like every large black guy you cuff will say 'I can't breathe' as a reflex, a good number of your arrestees will file frivolous use of force complaints. Thank god for body worn cameras. For every one complaint they allow to be sustained, there are 10 complaints that get dismissed based on the footage (and 50 instsnces where they document 'citizen' *******ry).