They never get tired of the Race Card!

SamSpade

I have a dumb question. If DC is made a state, what becomes of our Nations Capital?

What I have seen before is - they carve out a federal district out of DC to make a capitol - say, the Mall, the Capitol with surrounding buildings and the federal offices around. The White House.

Of course - if ANYONE should happen to LIVE inside that district - they could claim the same outcry of taxation without representation and we'd be making a really tiny state.

herb749

Well, they have to get 2/3 of the Senate to vote yes. So DC won't be getting their statehood this time.

But Democrat politicians knew that. They're just pandering to their base, who are going to vote for them no matter what, so you have to wonder why they bothered.

Pandering at its finest. Or, here's a bone for you DC, enjoy it for a little while then we forget you.

Haven't seen the call for Puerto Rico in some time. They likely know the people there don't want it.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I have a dumb question. If DC is made a state, what becomes of our Nations Capital?
Where's @Ken King ? I'm sure he can answer this in layman's terms for me. I'm genuinely curious.
I had to drop a vehicle off at the shop.

I don't think that DC can be made a state as of now. If the district is disbanned then the land should be retro-ceded back to Maryland. This is all uncharted territory. You would think that the Dems would pack SCOTUS prior to such a constitutionally challenging endeavor.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The Constitution requires that a "capital city" be developed by the cessation of lands from certain states, as such, to make such city a state, the Constitution must be amended to remove that provision (that is what requires 2/3 of each chambers approval, the amendment to remove that requirement).

Congress will pass a ' law ' and The Courts will make up some new interpretation of the Constitution making it legal

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I had to drop a vehicle off at the shop.

I don't think that DC can be made a state as of now. If the district is disbanned then the land should be retro-ceded back to Maryland. This is all uncharted territory. You would think that the Dems would pack SCOTUS prior to such a constitutionally challenging endeavor.
Thank you.

Hijinx

Yes, they can do that, but such law must pass constitutional muster and as of now I don't see the top court agreeing with that.

I don't trust the Supreme Court any longer any more than I trust the FBI or the Justice system under Garland.

BOP

Debate over statehood got particularly heated on the House floor Thursday when New York Democrat Rep. Mondaire Jones accused certain Republicans of being against D.C. statehood because the district was not White enough in their minds to qualify for self-rule.