They're Back!!!!

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I used to hear them all the time about ten - fifteen years ago and it occurred to me that I hadn't heard them in at least that long. I miss that summer sound.

As an area gets more populated with people, and there is less farmland available for habitat, there are less quail. I live too far away from farmland out here in the hills so my area isn't an area that would be a good for them.

Used to have a family of them where I lived in NY, going back to when I was a kid. Little chicks following momma for quite a few years. They eventually disappeared. I too miss them and their call.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Well, they are finally back (at least a pair of them). And the leaves on the poplars have finally started erupting too. :yay:

There's a pair here now, but they are just flying back and forth, checking out the feeders, but not stopping for a drink.

They finally decided to drink. :yay:

But they seem to like the cheap plastic feeder better than the nice antique glass bottle feeder.... :ohwell:

Neat tho, the feeder has a clear bottom, so you can see their tongues as they drink.

Grumpy

Was late getting feeders out due to family issues but put them up Saturday and immediately got a few humming birds. (PF area)

Ken King

PREMO Member
Here is one of my visitors -

Attachments

• oneinthehand.jpg
    oneinthehand.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 645
Here is one of my visitors -

Whadjado? Put knockout drops in their drink so you could pick them up off the ground and impress us?

It worked. I'm impressed. Very cool indeed.

Mine haven't been back inn a few days. I think they were just scouts passing thru.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
All I can say is it's probably going be a knock down drag out with the chickadees, they drink out off feeder a lot ,,,,,, WHEN HUMMERS COME FOR GOOD

Ken King

PREMO Member
Whadjado? Put knockout drops in their drink so you could pick them up off the ground and impress us?

It worked. I'm impressed. Very cool indeed.

Mine haven't been back inn a few days. I think they were just scouts passing thru.

Nah, there are a couple of them that get real protective of the feeders and that one got chased into a window. I heard the bang on the glass went out and it was on the deck. I picked it up, it climbed out on my thumb, and I called for the wife to come out. She saw it and went back in to grab her tablet. It sat on my thumb for about 10 minutes until it regained it's wits and flew off. Next day a bigger bang and I had two on the deck. Went out, picked them both up (one in each hand) and held them until they regained their wits. Wife wasn't home so no pics of the duo. EDIT: Oh, and then I found a dangly swirly thingamabob to hang on the window so they wouldn't run in to the glass.

Didn't want them just lying there as my mutt loves to catch, eat birds and cough up feathers.

Last edited:
I have a pair here now doing the half-pipe mating ritual dance. The female looks to be a ruby throat, but the male doesn't have a red throat.