Things To Do After Deer Season Has Gone

somdshootnet

Crow Hunting runs until March 15, 2010 and is available Wednesday though Saturday Only with no limits in all counties. Crow hunting can be a fun activity and it will help tune your skills as a water fowl hunter.

Eastern Cottontail Rabbit is open until February 27, 2010 in all Maryland counties and has a daily limit of 4 with a total possession limit of 8.

Squirrel season is open until February 27, 2010 in all counties and has a limit of 6 per day with a total possession limit of 12. Hunting Tree Rats is just a lot of fun, especially for the youth hunters. Squirrel offers some really good eating as well and it's a good time to practice your shooting.

Don't put your hunting instincts to rest just yet, there is still plenty of fun to be had out there in the great outdoors.

Thanks,
SoMdShoot

JoeMac

Squirrel isn't bad eating either, if you know how to cook them.

First thing I do is soak them in some salted water for a couple of hours. It helps pull the blood out and that is what has the gamy taste IMO. They really have a great taste when you soak them, like a dark meat chicken that is less oily.

So true.....the brains are the best part.....:yay:

Not sure I would be willing to try that part, I have heard of people eating the brain of a muskrat too.

Some wine and crushed red pepper. :yum:

Your using the wine to cook them? If so the fruit juice in the wine helps with the gamy taste as well.

T

toppick08

First thing I do is soak them in some salted water for a couple of hours. It helps pull the blood out and that is what has the gamy taste IMO. They really have a great taste when you soak them, like a dark meat chicken that is less oily.

Not sure I would be willing to try that part, I have heard of people eating the brain of a muskrat too.

Your using the wine to cook them? If so the fruit juice in the wine helps with the gamy taste as well.

light boil.........then flour , seasoning to taste, then fry them in a skillet, make gravy with flour ...et al....with rice on the side...and save the brains for tomorrow's eggs........and hog's brains are good too.