Think Fast - Favorite Christmas Movie

Bobwhite

I've always been fond of White Christmas. Last year I watched a movie from the 1940's that I had never seen before, The Bishops Wife, with Loretta Young, Cary Grant and David Niven. Great movie. The other day I watched a movie called Christmas Story (not Ralphie). It was made in another country (Norway maybe) and the english was voiced-over. I liked it because it wasn't the same old Hallmark version of Christmas. It was a story about how Santa Claus came to be.

SamSpade

I don't consider Die Hard a Christmas movie. I saw it with a bunch of guys - in JULY. I mean, if you're gonna make a Christmas movie, at least release it near Christmas.

I barely regard It's a Wonderful Life as one - the final part of the movie happens around Christmas - and it has Clarnece, the angel - but apart from the ending, it has almost nothing to do with Christmas. To my thinking, for it to be a Christmas movie - it kind of has to be ABOUT Christmas. It has to have a Christmas concept.

I mean, by the same stretch, Gone With the Wind is a war movie, or Citizen Kane is a mystery. They're not.

SailorGirl

Both good versions, but the best for me is the one with George C. Scott. Went to see the play at Ford's Theater in DC last Sunday afternoon, then sis and I watched the Alastair Sim one that night. :lol:
Got the George Scott one on dvd. Did you ever see the Mr. Magoo version? It's adorable.

SamSpade

Got the George Scott one on dvd. Did you ever see the Mr. Magoo version? It's adorable.
YES!! One of the best. We started to watch it Thanksgiving because my older sister has it on DVD.

When it broadcasts, they always cut out the TWO best songs - "Winter Was Warm" and "Alone in the World".
Both are outstanding songs in their own right - written by Jule Styne, who has written some famous classics and Oscar winners - "Three Coins in the Fountain", "People", "It's Been a Long, Long Time".