Think Fast - Favorite Christmas Movie

SamSpade

I do.

Winter wonderland is another.
Oh there's lots of them - "Sleigh Ride". "Frosty the Snowman". "Jingle Bell Rock".

Lately they've been playing "My Favorite Things" claiming it's a "Christmas song". Yeah.

Admittedly there are other songs which MENTION Christmas - but they're not much about Christmas.
Last Christmas just mentions a time of year - other than that, it's not about Christmas.

I could check - but I think the only reference to Christmas in Deck the Halls is "yuletide" which technically isn't Christmas at all.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
PREMO Member
I really want a copy of The Homecoming. Walton movie - had the unusual looking man in it.
Yup, "Die Hard."

And for anyone who disagrees, I have the SPLC on my side!

--- End of line (MCP)

SailorGirl

Oh there's lots of them - "Sleigh Ride". "Frosty the Snowman". "Jingle Bell Rock".

Lately they've been playing "My Favorite Things" claiming it's a "Christmas song". Yeah.

Admittedly there are other songs which MENTION Christmas - but they're not much about Christmas.
Last Christmas just mentions a time of year - other than that, it's not about Christmas.

I could check - but I think the only reference to Christmas in Deck the Halls is "yuletide" which technically isn't Christmas at all.
Hallelujah is Easter not Christmas.

SailorGirl

A Dog Named Christmas. Added to my lineup last year. I cried, I drank eggnog; it was an emotional rollercoaster and had a dog in it. Fun night.

SailorGirl

Yup, "Die Hard."

And for anyone who disagrees, I have the SPLC on my side!

--- End of line (MCP)
Yooper I am going to watch that this weekend and will render my opinion and review on whether it's a Christmas movie at which point if you are not correct I am willing to take it to the mat with you. You game? :razz:

SailorGirl

Okay all you Die Hard Fans - got one for you. Iron Man 3. Takes place at Christmas - Tony buys Pepper a giant rabbit. Christmas lights in the town where Tony meets Harley. Christmas fireworks at the end. Eggnog, warm fuzzy feelings.

Thoughts?

SamSpade

Hallelujah is Easter not Christmas.
If you’re referring to Handel’s “Messiah” - you’re partially right. The FIRST part deals with his birth. It does belong with Christmas.
My favorite is For Unto Us A Child is Born.

The next two parts deal with his life, death, resurrection and kingdom in heaven - hence the Hallelujah which is from Revelation. That much is more appropriate for Easter.

It is after all called The Messiah and not Christmas. It’s the whole story. And the story of how it came to be written is at least as interesting.

SamSpade

Okay all you Die Hard Fans - got one for you. Iron Man 3. Takes place at Christmas - Tony buys Pepper a giant rabbit. Christmas lights in the town where Tony meets Harley. Christmas fireworks at the end. Eggnog, warm fuzzy feelings.

Thoughts?
Don’t forget “Gremlins”.

Lots of movies are SET around Christmas as a framing device but are not Christmas movies. Another is “Reindeer Games”. “Lethal Weapon”. Rocky IV.

SailorGirl

If you’re referring to Handel’s “Messiah” - you’re partially right. The FIRST part deals with his birth. It does belong with Christmas.

The next two parts deal with his life, death, resurrection and kingdom in heaven - hence the Hallelujah which is from Revelation. That much is more appropriate for Easter.

It is after all called The Messiah and not Christmas. It’s the whole story. And the story of how it came to be written is at least as interesting.
You're right - I should have said Hallelujah Chorus. It's magnificent isn't it - the entire thing.

SailorGirl

Listening to that as I'm answering - you're right it's pretty. I would love to see that live one day.

SamSpade

Listening to that as I'm answering - you're right it's pretty. I would love to see that live one day.
I sang with COSMIC one year, years ago when they performed it . Gosh that must have been 9 or 10 years ago. Right now I’m sitting in the basement of the church we did our first performance. We NAILED it that night. I don’t know if they’ve done it since.

But I’ve done it so many times I can almost do it without sheet music. Years ago I sang the Christmas portion with the U of MD Chapel Choir with Fague Springman. Wow does that bring back memories. The young women sounded heavenly when they sang their part in For Unto Us - and one of them told THEY had the same reaction when the MEN sang.

(sigh)