Think Fast - Favorite Christmas Movie

SailorGirl

I sang with COSMIC one year, years ago when they performed it . Gosh that must have been 9 or 10 years ago. Right now I’m sitting in the basement of the church we did our first performance. We NAILED it that night. I don’t know if they’ve done it since.

But I’ve done it so many times I can almost do it without sheet music. Years ago I sang the Christmas portion with the U of MD Chapel Choir with Fague Springman. Wow does that bring back memories. The young women sounded heavenly when they sang their part in For Unto Us - and one of them told THEY had the same reaction when the MEN sang.

(sigh)
Wow - do you still sing?

tuffenuff2

Scrooged should have been at the top of my list. It was the first film I saw with my future husband in an American movie theatre on base in Rota. They played the American national anthem which was completely new to me - in a movie theatre. Of course I stood up and have done ever since out of respect. We saw it in June.

Last edited:

SamSpade

Wow - do you still sing?
Not in a while. Back in the 80's I was part of an a capella group for a large church. We actually did record albums and tour a little - but somewhere in the last ten years I've really just lost the love of music. I like to sing around the house to my kids, but I don't have this yearning to get up and do it.

Occasionally I'll get coerced - or my wife will "volunteer" me. I don't have a great voice - I have a pleasant one. My director said he picked me because I blended well, not because I was a soloist.

SailorGirl

Not in a while. Back in the 80's I was part of an a capella group for a large church. We actually did record albums and tour a little - but somewhere in the last ten years I've really just lost the love of music. I like to sing around the house to my kids, but I don't have this yearning to get up and do it.

Occasionally I'll get coerced - or my wife will "volunteer" me. I don't have a great voice - I have a pleasant one. My director said he picked me because I blended well, not because I was a soloist.
I would imagine that would explain why movie music is not just background noise for you. That's really interesting - I never would have guessed that from your avatar.

SailorGirl

Scrooged should have been at the top of my list. It was the first film I saw in an American movie theatre on base in Rota and they played the American anthem which was completely new to me - in a movie theatre. Of course I stood up and have done ever since out of respect . We saw it in June.
in June. :lmao:

SailorGirl

I sang with COSMIC one year, years ago when they performed it . Gosh that must have been 9 or 10 years ago. Right now I’m sitting in the basement of the church we did our first performance. We NAILED it that night. I don’t know if they’ve done it since.

But I’ve done it so many times I can almost do it without sheet music. Years ago I sang the Christmas portion with the U of MD Chapel Choir with Fague Springman. Wow does that bring back memories. The young women sounded heavenly when they sang their part in For Unto Us - and one of them told THEY had the same reaction when the MEN sang.

(sigh)
This of course is a flash mob version. It still brings me to tears and I'll bet I've watched/listened to it 100 times or better. Both the men and women and the looks on their faces and the enthusiasm. Around 3:13 when they come in with King of Kings and Lord of Lords. Goosebumps.

Pete

Repete
Grumpy Old Men is my favorite. Followed by the sequel.

I hate The Grinch with Jim Carey. I am unfortunately a minority and have to find something to do several times throughout the season because its on.

SailorGirl

I hate The Grinch with Jim Carey. I am unfortunately a minority and have to find something to do several times throughout the season because its on.
Agreed - it was just plain stupid.

SamSpade

On the OTHER hand - I LOVE the old animated one narrated by Boris Karloff. Unlike the idiotic movies, the Whos weren't in the slightest bit bothered by the loss of "Christmas" as the Grinch saw it. There were NO boo hoos. The gifts and feasts weren't Christmas; they gave gifts and celebrated BECAUSE of Christmas. Not having lights and gifts and trees and decorations and roast beast - it didn't bother them at all, because their joy wasn't IN those things. A wonderful story.

SamSpade

This of course is a flash mob version. It still brings me to tears and I'll bet I've watched/listened to it 100 times or better. Both the men and women and the looks on their faces and the enthusiasm. Around 3:13 when they come in with King of Kings and Lord of Lords. Goosebumps.
We DID do the Hallelujah chorus a capella with that group in Boston. The director noticed that - us, being used to singing it with accompaniment - were oh so visibly rocking and lightly tapping as a group and told us to stop it. I can still hear the trumpets in my head, toward the end - and our violinist during practice who would begin the chorus but end with "Yes We Have No Bananas" because they marginally sound the same.

But arguably my favorite flash mob is still the "Puttin' On the Ritz" one that happened in front of Moscow State University, if only for the fact that I stood in that very spot my last day in Moscow with my newly adopted son. (Obviously, years earlier).