Think Fast - Favorite Christmas Movie

SailorGirl

We DID do the Hallelujah chorus a capella with that group in Boston. The director noticed that - us, being used to singing it with accompaniment - were oh so visibly rocking and lightly tapping as a group and told us to stop it. I can still hear the trumpets in my head, toward the end - and our violinist during practice who would begin the chorus but end with "Yes We Have No Bananas" because they marginally sound the same.

But arguably my favorite flash mob is still the "Puttin' On the Ritz" one that happened in front of Moscow State University, if only for the fact that I stood in that very spot my last day in Moscow with my newly adopted son. (Obviously, years earlier).

That is a HUGE group to coordinate! In Russia no less - I never picture it as being free enough for that.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I love Christmas!! I really do, and I'm not a Grinch in the least about it, but reading through the posts, I honestly can't come up with any Christmas movie that's my favorite.

I've seen most of the traditional movies mentioned at some point in my life, AND even more than once since they're seasonal favorites, but I typically don't watch movies over and over again. I guess I'm just odd that way. :yay: :lol: There are some movies I'll watch again, if it's been years, but I am not a prolific repeat movie watcher.

I particularly don't watch the cartoon holiday shows that come on either. (now that I don't have young kids that watch them) IF my grand niece and nephews were here, I would - that's a whole new experience to share with them, but otherwise, I wouldn't watch them.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I particularly don't watch the cartoon holiday shows that come on either. (now that I don't have young kids that watch them) IF my grand niece and nephews were here, I would - that's a whole new experience to share with them, but otherwise, I wouldn't watch them.
WHAT!?! No Grinch, no Frosty, no Year without a Santa Claus, no Rudolf, no Little Drummer Boy??? Al Queda!!!

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
WHAT!?! No Grinch, no Frosty, no Year without a Santa Claus, no Rudolf, no Little Drummer Boy??? Al Queda!!!
IKR?! This is true - my mom told me sometime ago (well, she's dead so it must be about 10-15 years ago now :jet:) that I would never sit still for cartoons when I little. THAT was in the early 60's, so maybe they were crap, who knows. :lol: Even when we came back to the States from living overseas for 5-1/2 years without TV - I never watched the cartoons and cartoon-like shows on Saturdays like my sister and brother did. I HATED HR Puffenstuff. OMG. I would rather stab my eyes out.

I don't like those claymation shows either - are they still around?! :lol:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
IKR?! This is true - my mom told me sometime ago (well, she's dead so it must be about 10-15 years ago now :jet:) that I would never sit still for cartoons when I little. THAT was in the early 60's, so maybe they were crap, who knows. :lol: Even when we came back to the States from living overseas for 5-1/2 years without TV - I never watched the cartoons and cartoon-like shows on Saturdays like my sister and brother did. I HATED HR Puffenstuff. OMG. I would rather stab my eyes out.

I don't like those claymation shows either - are they still around?! :lol:
:lol:

I've never been a big cartoon fan either, but it's just not Christmas if I don't watch those classics. I can't make myself watch any of the "newer" ones.

SamSpade

That is a HUGE group to coordinate! In Russia no less - I never picture it as being free enough for that.
I hear ya but - I wasn't surprised.

Although Russia didn't surprise me as much as China - I was only there a month - there were moments. YOUTH were the biggest surprise - they were most like their more Western counterparts. Teenagers, young adults - they were very much like the kids you'd meet here. In the Internet cafes we had to use, most of the terminals were occupied by kids playing against each other in online games - and this was 12 years ago. And they all wanted to practice English on foreigners.

Russians were hard to figure out. Publicly most of the ones were kinda stand-offish stick in the muds. PRIVATELY they're probably the most fun loving, loud boisterous people you'll ever meet. They're just not likely to smile at you in public, especially if you're a stranger.

SailorGirl

:lol:

I've never been a big cartoon fan either, but it's just not Christmas if I don't watch those classics. I can't make myself watch any of the "newer" ones.
Lifetime movies about Christmas. Used to watch all of them, every sickening sweet minute of them. My teeth hurt they were so sweet. Had to watch a few episodes of Snapped just to cleanse my palate.

SailorGirl

I hear ya but - I wasn't surprised.

Although Russia didn't surprise me as much as China - I was only there a month - there were moments. YOUTH were the biggest surprise - they were most like their more Western counterparts. Teenagers, young adults - they were very much like the kids you'd meet here. In the Internet cafes we had to use, most of the terminals were occupied by kids playing against each other in online games - and this was 12 years ago. And they all wanted to practice English on foreigners.

Russians were hard to figure out. Publicly most of the ones were kinda stand-offish stick in the muds. PRIVATELY they're probably the most fun loving, loud boisterous people you'll ever meet. They're just not likely to smile at you in public, especially if you're a stranger.
That's actually an encouraging thing to hear. I have a tendency to think of other countries as being so different from us. Thanks for the conversation.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Lifetime movies about Christmas. Used to watch all of them, every sickening sweet minute of them. My teeth hurt they were so sweet. Had to watch a few episodes of Snapped just to cleanse my palate.
#soulsister

I can't make myself watch those either. I'll take Snapped over those any time of the year! :lol:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Okay all you Die Hard Fans - got one for you. Iron Man 3. Takes place at Christmas - Tony buys Pepper a giant rabbit. Christmas lights in the town where Tony meets Harley. Christmas fireworks at the end. Eggnog, warm fuzzy feelings.

Thoughts?
It's a contender....but not an iconic and ageless Christmas classic like Die Hard. ;-)

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
PREMO Member
Agreed. Worked there and nearby for much of my career.

Not hard to figure out in the sense that since forever it was very necessary for Russians to be very closed in public. If you could get past that (meaning, they trusted you) they are a blast. The one caveat was that if a Russian "let you in" too quickly, that was a red flag (at least, for us who were there in an official capacity).

Enjoyed the back and forth between you & @SailorGirl.

--- End of line (MCP)