Thinning hair

lucky_bee

RBF expert
And this (plus the conditioner):

I have been using OGX Biotin/Collagen for a while. That has helped. Thanks for the tip on the OGX mint.

I'm just putting this out there, but OGX is facing a class-action lawsuit because some of their hair shampoos and conditioners contain ingredients linked with hair loss. I remember my mother used some of their items a few years ago and complained about her irritated scalp and upon researching, I discovered the complaints. Warned her about it and she switched - no more blotchy scalp. A lot more people reported hair loss. Obviously, every product has ingredient risk, but just keep it in mind. I do agree the mint should help - but maybe another brand.

I would also suggest pre-natal vitamins or gummies - ####, my hair looked amazing when I was on those.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
A lot more people reported hair loss.

See, and I'm having the opposite effect. So who knows? :sshrug:

But you made me look it up:

Neither here nor there, there are other shampoos with mint in them that people can use, they don't have to use OGX.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
See, and I'm having the opposite effect. So who knows? :sshrug:

Neither here nor there, there are other shampoos with mint in them that people can use, they don't have to use OGX.

I had major post-partum hair loss - and I've got some serious thick, coarse, Sicilian hair genes so it affected me hard, plus the regrowth looked ridiculous! I had a permanent halo of fuzz for awhile. This came highly recommended to me: Amazon.com : KERASTASE Serum Extentioniste, Scalp & Hair Serum 1.7 Ounce, () : Beauty & Personal Care

Didn't get around to using it, as I started to notice my regrowth finally, but it has tons of great reviews.

nobody really

I need a nap
I need to bathe in this shiat.

I lose soooo much hair due to crappy hair genes, thyroid problems, and age. In another three years or so, Imma gonna have to shave head bald. 😞
im right there with ya. on another but related subject, how many days do women go without washing hair? my stylist says i shouldnt wash everyday. then i saw where u can do a hair detox. if i go more than 2 days, i look like i swam behind the exxon valdeze. besides redken which is expensive, what other dry shampoos are good

Crabcake42

My hair started falling out - like, a lot, way more than normal. The good news is I started with a ton of hair, so losing some wasn't the catastrophe it could have been but I still didn't like it.

Might have been your COVID infection, lots out there about hair loss as a latent symptom

Acute telogen effluvium is a non-scaring hair loss, usually occurs 3 months after the stressful event that causes hair shedding, and lasts up to 6 months. It can be associated with post COVID-19 infection.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Might have been your COVID infection, lots out there about hair loss as a latent symptom

You know what? I didn't think of that. I just chalked it up to old age, but I'll bet that's exactly what it is because the timeline is right. :yay:

frequentflier

happy to be living
im right there with ya. on another but related subject, how many days do women go without washing hair? my stylist says i shouldnt wash everyday. then i saw where u can do a hair detox. if i go more than 2 days, i look like i swam behind the exxon valdeze. besides redken which is expensive, what other dry shampoos are good

My hair gets washed twice a week. Unless I have been sweating a lot; then I'll wash it more often.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
I wash once or twice a week, but I do have very thick, coarse, wavy hair. You kind of have to get your hair used to less washing, if that's what you'd like to do. A clarifying shampoo helps every once in awhile if you use a lot of products, similar to a hair detox. But its not really necessary more than once a month - less if you have curly, thick hair.

My tips for washing less and appearing less greasy are:
  • use products without sulfates
  • focus on shampooing your scalp, don't worry so much about your ends (I'm assuming you have long hair?), rinsing shampoo will disperse it thruout the hair as needed.
  • condition only the bottom half of your hair, mostly keep it away from your scalp and focus on hydrating the ends. Let it sit in the hair a couple minutes too before rinsing out - and rinse out quickly, don't spend too much time, leaving a little conditioner in kind of helps fortify that conditioner
  • cold water is your hair's friend. It's not mine, but I'll at least turn the hot water down a little when rinsing :lol:
  • I also give a good spritz of leave in conditioner and then apply a couple products while my hair is soaking wet, but that's more so for curly hair.
  • find a microfiber towel just for hair
  • whatever you do for styling, blow-drying - air-drying, etc, once your hair is dry THEN spray your scalp down with dry shampoo - don't wait until it's already greasy! Maybe until your hair is used to being pushed, a little spritz in your trouble spots each morning might help you hold off on washing.
  • I think Batiste is one of the best dry shampoos out there and its SO cheap and available everywhere. They even have a tinted version when you're getting close to a root touch up :howdy:
It's definitely a process to get your hair used to less washing. The key is less product on the scalp and moisturing the ends instead. And adding the dry shampoo during the first styling after a wash.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I can't stand greasy or dirty hair. That's my cue to get a shower. Once every 8-10 days.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I hope it clears up, from what I saw it usually resolves after 6 months post infection.

It already is - about a week after I started using the black lady hair products the hair loss went back to normal. But I couldn't figure out why it started in the first place, and now I'm sure it's the rona. Thanks!

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
It already is - about a week after I started using the black lady hair products the hair loss went back to normal. But I couldn't figure out why it started in the first place, and now I'm sure it's the rona. Thanks!
A lot can trigger temp hair loss.... stress, change in diet, different personal products.... I notice there are months were there is no hair on the bathroom floor, then all of a sudden it looks like a Wookie lives there. Then it stops again.

Louise

I'm just putting this out there, but OGX is facing a class-action lawsuit because some of their hair shampoos and conditioners contain ingredients linked with hair loss. I remember my mother used some of their items a few years ago and complained about her irritated scalp and upon researching, I discovered the complaints. Warned her about it and she switched - no more blotchy scalp. A lot more people reported hair loss. Obviously, every product has ingredient risk, but just keep it in mind. I do agree the mint should help - but maybe another brand.

I would also suggest pre-natal vitamins or gummies - ####, my hair looked amazing when I was on those.

Thanks for the heads up.😄

PeoplesElbow

People I know that faced hair loss due to cancer treatment used Nutrogena T-Gell and say it works. My dad used it and ended up not losing very much hair during chemo and radiation. It smelled like total ass though.