This economist debunked all the right-wing talking points about the Green New Deal

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Oh boy, you're asking a tough question. I come from a tradition in macroeconomics that turns the sort of spending problem on its head a little bit. I'm sure you've heard of modern monetary theory, and I would say that if we want to do a Green New Deal, what we're basically committing to is a legislative overhaul and a re-articulation of our priorities, and reconfiguration of our institutions.

So to pay for something like that would require congressional commitment to authorize the spending, to go out to procure the resources and make our society cleaner and greener.

I think what, typically people are asking for, is "Okay, who are you going to tax to pay for it?" And I say that's sort of a tertiary question. I think the federal government, United States has the ability to basically spend without limits, separate to resource availability and the financing within that can follow that.

https://www.salon.com/2019/09/02/th...wing-talking-points-about-the-green-new-deal/

AnthonyJames

R.I.P. My Brother Rick
I bolded the true part of the sentence and omitted the BS part.

"For background, the term "Green New Deal" is a direct reference to the New Deal programs passed by President Franklin D. Roosevelt in the 1930s. Its underlying premise is that, just as Americans from that era needed to combat the Great Depression through active and creative government involvement in the economy, so too do Americans today need to simultaneously fight global warming, income inequality and other forms of social injustice through proactive, progressive legislation."

Your welcome

SamSpade

Part of my beef with these folks is - when they talk, they're under the impression that EVERYONE lives in a city or very close to one, public transportation is as easily accessed as it is in, say, New York and people use cars - if they own them at all - almost exclusively to drive to and from their jobs. Otherwise, they wouldn't drive at all. Most people are young and healthy and can walk a dozen or so miles a day, and there's nothing to keep kids from walking those distances either.

Take it bit further, and they think more bike access would be MUCH needed - rain, snow, cold, wind, nighttime - and at any age. Just add more bike lanes.

For all the ridicule rural folks get from urban types - they have no idea. Maybe everyone in a large city sits in an office or works indoors. MOST of the people I know who own their own businesses would close their doors if everyone in the business had to rely on public transportation.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
when they talk, they're under the impression that EVERYONE lives in a city or very close to one,

Agenda 21 is about changing Zoning Laws under the guise of sustainability to remove access to property away from cities to force people together .... which also has the added benefit of manageability