This is a dumb question

J

jp2854

ours is set at 70. but this house is old and all teh cold air leaks in through the windows. My room doesn't have heat that works very well in it so I got a space heater and I set it at number 5 so it keeps my room nice and warm.

H

HouseCat

What do you keep your thermostat set on in the winter?

Mine is at 65, and it's somewhat cool in the house, but my bedroom upstairs is quite toasty. I hate to set it higher because then the bedroom will be like an oven. Larry programmed the thermostat so that it's warmer during the day, then cools down at night, but then every time I went upstairs for something it was like walking into a sauna. :dead:

Just meandering while my dinner is cooking....

Mine goes up and down all the time... I know that is bad for my electric bill, but I have a problem regulating body temperature. I usually keep it at 65 as well and bundle up. Sometimes it will be 65 and feels like 75. Sometimes its 70 and feels like 40. I don't know wtf is wrong with me, other than being a woman. :lmao: Its a brand new thermostat too...

nana

Nana
We use a pellet stove \ split foyer and living room and bedroom windows open to keep it 74 or so toasty
only igits i know that have windows open in the winter

StrawberryGal

Sweet and Innocent
72 all year around at all the time because I stay home and do not work. I'm always cold and couldn't turn the temp. up without running the electricity bill up high, so I just wear sweatshirts all the time even in the summer with the A/C on.

About A/C, I could have turned it up to keep the electricity bill low, but my husband can't stand it at 76 or 78 degree, so I have to wear sweatshirts to stay comfortable. If he could have his way, it would be at 65 degree in all year around. :brr:

Last edited:

SEABREEZE 1957

My 401K is now a 201K
  • 71 when we are home and awake.
  • 65 at night while sleeping.
  • 60 when we aren't home.
Ours is set to change at certain times of the day. Don't know if that's the most efficient way to do things. Of course if it's comfortable outside, I turn it off & open the windows.

I just returned from a business trip to Santa Barbara, the weather was beautiful. 70's during the day, upper 50's at night & I didn't turn the heat on in the hotel room except when I got up & got into the shower.

awpitt

Main Streeter
What do you keep your thermostat set on in the winter?

Mine is at 65, and it's somewhat cool in the house, but my bedroom upstairs is quite toasty. I hate to set it higher because then the bedroom will be like an oven. Larry programmed the thermostat so that it's warmer during the day, then cools down at night, but then every time I went upstairs for something it was like walking into a sauna. :dead:

Just meandering while my dinner is cooking....

We keep ours at 66 when we're awake and at home. Our T-stat goes down to 63 at 10pm and goes back up to 66 at 5am then goes back down after everyone goes to work and school.

As far as your upstairs, close the vents in your bedrooms and bath upstairs. Keep them wide open downstairs and set them about halfway in your kitchen and livingroom level. Since hot air rises, this will allow your downstairs to get plenty of heat and it will eventually rise through the stairway into your main level and some will end up in the upstairs bedrooms. When it gets warm out, do the opposite with your vents.

myjobismommy

During the cool months we set ours at 68, though if it's really cold 69 and if we go out for big chunks of time I lower it to 65 or 66.

My MIL sets hers to 62 - thankfully we rarely visit - it's freezing there.