This Is Scary Stuff

Jurgo

As I said earlier, the stats are calculated on current working beds, not total beds in the ICU. If the TOTAL ICU is 100 beds, and they reduce to 50%, ie 50 beds, the stats are calculated on 50 beds, not 100. In a full ICU, 90 beds is 90%. In the 50% case, 45 beds is 90%, ie "full" capacity. As needs warrant, more beds are made available, but it will stay in the 90-95% range to keep the bookkeepers happy. Anything less is not profitable.

Got it.

I think the basic point remains: Covid can overwhelm and has in many places overwhelmed hospitals, ICUs, etc, more than typical (even fatal) viruses and infections like the flu. If you dispute this then I think we’ve reached an impasse.

I cannot sincerely chock this up to “over reporting” on behalf of the media, even factoring in their desire to report situations like this. That’s too Alex-Jones-conspiracy for my blood.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
1) do you agree that places over these past six months have been hit had with Covid cases?

2) do you agree / accept that these places had healthcare systems that were overwhelmed and/or were on the verge of having their systems overwhelmed?

I don't know the answer to either of those questions. I know what certain news media are saying, but they lie so often that it's hard to know when they're telling the truth. I do know that I've personally been in areas that were supposed to be "hotspots" and "overwhelmed" according to the media, but were nothing of the kind.

You don’t need to make this that hard.

I'm just trying to understand. As a fellow non-idiot, surely you want the same.

Covid is dangerous because it can easily spread.

As of 1 minute ago, there are 4 million cases in the US and 144k deaths, out of a population of 330 million people.

Here is a calculator:

I won't even give you the percentage, I'll let you do it for yourself since you're not an idiot. Then explain to me why, if this virus spreads so rapidly and is so deadly, only a small percentage even have it, let alone die from it.

Please try not to resort to the old "Why do you want 144,000 people dead??" line - only idiots do that.

Jurgo

I don't know the answer to either of those questions. I know what certain news media are saying, but they lie so often that it's hard to know when they're telling the truth. I do know that I've personally been in areas that were supposed to be "hotspots" and "overwhelmed" according to the media, but were nothing of the kind.

I'm just trying to understand. As a fellow non-idiot, surely you want the same.

As of 1 minute ago, there are 4 million cases in the US and 144k deaths, out of a population of 330 million people.

Here is a calculator:

I won't even give you the percentage, I'll let you do it for yourself since you're not an idiot. Then explain to me why, if this virus spreads so rapidly and is so deadly, only a small percentage even have it, let alone die from it.

Please try not to resort to the old "Why do you want 144,000 people dead??" line - only idiots do that.

I already attempted to explain the observed phenomenon of a rapidly-spreading disease that appears to not infect lots of folks (again: many are infected with delayed symptoms).

Recent events show that this virus can cause hospitals to become overwhelmed. Death rates and case numbers aside, this has happened and is currently happening. This is the reason to proceed with extreme caution.

I would rather this virus not have these outcomes; it does. Reality is a toughie, but it doesn’t have to be for us non-idiots.

PS where can I mail you those gift certificates for a night out on the town?

Jurgo

Let's read that again:

Spreads rapidly, yet doesn't infect a lot of people.

Is that like magic? Your fellow non-idiots would like that to be explained further.

Yes, it does sound like an idiotic paradox, huh? That’s why the parenthetical remark of “(again: infected people have delayed symptoms)” was included.

But this reminder was excluded from your quote. Strange! As a non-idiot, I’m sure that this was an unintentional mistake.

So for the sake of clarifying — not for you since you are in no way an idiot — let’s repeat:

This virus appears to spread but not infect people— APPEARS. Current and best understanding indicates that this APPEARANCE owes to the fact that several infected suffer delayed symptoms.

The evidence that this virus is spreading and infecting folks? The hospitals being overwhelmed in various places and various times these past few months.

If you want to disbelieve the many doctors, nurses and medical professionals who have told you over and over in various reports that their hospitals are suffering a surge due to Covid, then go ahead. I simply cannot go to that level of sheer non-idiocy.

Also, what about those certificates / our date? I’d love to show you a finger lick-in’ good time.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The hospitals being overwhelmed in various places and various times these past few months.

What places and what times?

If you want to disbelieve the many doctors, nurses and medical professionals who have told you over and over in various reports

I haven't had a doctor or nurse tell "me" that. I've seen people I don't know on social media say this. And I've seen the media I don't trust assure me that they're not lying this time. What are the names of these doctors and nurses that you personally know, and where do they work? I'm interested in what they have to say.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Also:

This virus appears to spread but not infect people— APPEARS. Current and best understanding indicates that this APPEARANCE owes to the fact that several infected suffer delayed symptoms.

So is it not infecting people, or is it just waiting to infect them?

How long is it waiting? On average, of course.

You're doing such a great job of explaining things to me and I'm full of questions. Thank you for not being an idiot!

Jurgo

What places and what times?

I haven't had a doctor or nurse tell "me" that. I've seen people I don't know on social media say this. And I've seen the media I don't trust assure me that they're not lying this time. What are the names of these doctors and nurses that you personally know, and where do they work? I'm interested in what they have to say.

Here is one quote from a source I found by googling just today:

“ -A doctor in Houston says the situation there is worse than it was after Hurricane Harvey, according to The Associated Press. At least two dozen hospitals had to be evacuated as Harvey swamped the city with flood waters in September 2017. “I’ve never seen anything like this COVID surge,” Dr. Alison Haddock of the Baylor College of Medicine, who has worked in emergency rooms for more than a decade, said. “We’re doing our best, but we’re not an ICU.” ”

This article is three days old and outlines the current current Covid situations in various states and can be read yourself here (https://weather.com/health/coronavi...s-cases-record-hospitals-restrictions-covid19) — scroll down past the list of updates on counties around the globe to get to the US information.

Honestly, if you are unaware of how hospitals are currently struggling and how hospitals have been struggling that is deliberate on your part. You simply don’t want to face the facts that hospitals get overrun when this virus spreads rapidly.

I usually associate fact-intolerant folks with libtard snowflake morons, not my non-idiot pals.

In any event it seems we are at an impasse here. You deny that hospitals are being overrun in hotspots, and until you change your position here there is zero point in trying to convince you of anything else. So let’s focus on dates: where should we go? I know some lovely dumpsters behind BK...

Jurgo

Also:

So is it not infecting people, or is it just waiting to infect them?

How long is it waiting? On average, of course.

You're doing such a great job of explaining things to me and I'm full of questions. Thank you for not being an idiot!

You’re welcome! I bet if you were sincerely interested in any of these questions you could easily find answers yourselves (for starters: https://lmgtfy.com/?q=average+time+for+covid+symptoms)

But let’s stay focused on the very basics here.

1. Covid spreads easily

2. It spreads easily in part because symptoms can be delayed or mild for many.

3. Hospitals being overwhelmed shows that this spread can cause serious problems.

These three points are really all anyone needs to keep in mind.

Now about that date!!!!! I’ve got a new move I’m itching to try on a lovely lass such as yourself, updating my “all five in the stink” to the rarely attempted “two unwashed wads of five in the stink.”

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Now about that date!!!!! I’ve got a new move I’m itching to try on a lovely lass such as yourself, updating my “all five in the stink” to the rarely attempted “two wars of fives in the stink.”

I can't think why you want to be rude and offensive to me when we were having such a good discussion.

Jurgo

HOW MANY ARE DYING ?

You can google this yourself and I’ll leave it to you to determine if it’s too high or not.

My simple simple simple point does not involve the death rate. It is this: the spread of this virus results in hospitals being overwhelmed and THAT can leads to untenable problems. Don’t worry about the death rate. Only think about that causal link: rapid spread of virus = hospitals f*cked.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
3. Hospitals being overwhelmed shows that this spread can cause serious problems.

How Many, Where .... overwhelmed is hyperbole ..... how many patients, how many beds, how many dying ... age groups, infected, vs hospitalized

Jurgo

I can't think why you want to be rude and offensive to me when we were having such a good discussion.

Strike my rude comment from the record. It was a failed attempt at romance in my part. Let’s resume the productive portion of our conversation if you’re willing.

(Would you like me to delete the parts you found rude? Happy to do so.)

Jurgo

How Many, Where .... overwhelmed is hyperbole ..... how many patients, how many beds, how many dying ... age groups, infected, vs hospitalized

Every place that has had a hotspot — hospitals only Austin, Houston, Dallas, LA, various cities in Florida. Look it up if you don’t believe me. Google “what happened with Italy’s hospitals in spring 2020?” to find what happened there. These facts are really not disputable.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
:cds:

Oh No People are Hospitalized

Sorry Charlie the Kung Flu is no more fatal than the regular flu ....