This Kashoggi person

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Why do we care about him? He was a Saudi citizen who went missing in Turkey. How is this our problem and why is it on every news show?

transporter

Have you tried reading anything about it? Or maybe watching the actual news?

It is amazing what you can learn when you actually spend a few moments trying.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Why do we care about him? He was a Saudi citizen who went missing in Turkey. How is this our problem and why is it on every news show?

Wasn't he a Washington Post reporter? If so, with the WP being a US entity - if I recall some of the intel laws I used to have to enforce - I think the USG has to consider him somewhat "U.S." Also, this is sort of a potential perfect international relations storm what with Saudi Arabia and Yemen, Saudi Arabia royal family intrigues, Saudi Arabia/Turkey tensions, US/Turkey tensions, intra-Muslim issues, NATO/Turkey issues, Turkey/Saudi Arabia/Israel/Syria/Iran/Hezbollah/Muslim Brotherhood intrigue, etc.

This is really only our problem if a) he is afforded some protection under US law (and I'm not sure he is) and/or b) how his murder?/disappearance fits into a game being played that we (the public) are not yet privy to. But it is being played up by the MSM because he's (well, was) a journalist and his murder?/disappearance serves as a way to attack Trump (i.e., "See, journalists in danger as a result of fascist government goons and the worst goon is Trump" schtick).

I confess to being somewhat intrigued (especially if any of the rumors about his demise are true).

--- End of ramble (MCP)

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.

Do you understand social convention? That the original post was meant to be a conversation starter? You are quite the dense one.... Here was your chance to educate and perhaps sway a few minds that you're not quite the douche you always come across as. But once again, being a troll got the better of you. #ButThatsWhatScorpionsDo #Hopeless.

--- End of line (MCP)

glhs837

Power with Control
Yep, had been living here and was a reporter for the WaPo. To have any journalist lured into an embassy and slaughtered for his reporting is a Bad Thing.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Yes, fart face, I have been reading about him several times a day, thanks to the obsession of the media over this person who is neither a US citizen nor did he go missing in the US.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
This is really only our problem if a) he is afforded some protection under US law (and I'm not sure he is) and/or b) how his murder?/disappearance fits into a game being played that we (the public) are not yet privy to. But it is being played up by the MSM because he's (well, was) a journalist and his murder?/disappearance serves as a way to attack Trump (i.e., "See, journalists in danger as a result of fascist government goons and the worst goon is Trump" schtick).

I confess to being somewhat intrigued (especially if any of the rumors about his demise are true).

--- End of ramble (MCP)

a) I have no idea why he would be afforded US protection. He is neither a US citizen nor did he disappear in the US. As far as I can tell, his disappearance has nothing to do with the US.

b) Maybe...

Trump is definitely being attacked over it, but I fail to see why it's his job to protect a Saudi citizen who went freely to Turkey for his own personal reasons, and then disappeared. I mean, I'd be okay with Trump being the Imperial God of the Universe, but I didn't think the Stalinbots wanted that.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Yep, had been living here and was a reporter for the WaPo. To have any journalist lured into an embassy and slaughtered for his reporting is a Bad Thing.

He wasn't lured, though. He went of his own volition - to get a license to marry his Turkish fiancee.

This, in my opinion, is between the Turks and the Saudis. Has nothing to do with the US.

glhs837

Power with Control
He wasn't lured, though. He went of his own volition - to get a license to marry his Turkish fiancee.

This, in my opinion, is between the Turks and the Saudis. Has nothing to do with the US.

No, if he was told to come to the Embassy to get paperwork they never intended to give him, that's being lured. Given that the Saud team was there waiting for him, he was told to come there.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
No, if he was told to come to the Embassy to get paperwork they never intended to give him, that's being lured. Given that the Saud team was there waiting for him, he was told to come there.

But again, what does any of this have to do with the US?

PeoplesElbow

The MSM cares more about him than they would an actual American citizen that wasn't a reporter, even if it happened on US soil.

BOP

Well, isn't this a coin-ky-dink? And yes, it is amazing what you can learn.

https://www.conservativereview.com/...telling-you-about-the-jamal-khashoggi-affair/

What the media isn’t telling you about the Jamal Khashoggi affair

Jordan Schachtel · October 16, 2018

The legacy media isn’t telling you the full truth about Jamal Khashoggi, the Saudi exile who is feared dead after he was last seen entering the Saudi consulate in Istanbul earlier this month. His disappearance has created a media firestorm, resulting in tensions between the United States and its traditional Middle East partners.

We’ve been told that Khashoggi — who was living in the U.S. for the past year — was a voice for reform and democracy in a Middle East that is in desperate need of such individuals. However, a closer look at Khashoggi’s past activities reveals a man with an extremely regressive, anti-Western worldview and a consistent pattern of supporting fringe Islamist movements in the region.

Of course, no one deserves to be harmed for his views. However, Khashoggi’s disappearance (and likely death, at this point) does not give the foreign and domestic media a green light to play fast and loose with the facts.

Khashoggi the “journalist”

Pretty much the entirety of the legacy media has attached a wildly misleading “journalist” label to Jamal Khashoggi. While he was once a journalist for several state-controlled Gulf media enterprises, Khashoggi has not been anything resembling a journalist for quite some time.

Prior to his disappearance, Khashoggi was an opinion writer for the Washington Post’s “Global Opinions” section. He was also working with Islamists tied to the Muslim Brotherhood to create an organization called Democracy in the Arab World Now (DAWN).

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Okay, got it:

The Dems want Trump to sanction the Saudis and screw up the US arms sale. That's why they're making such a big deal over this Saudi person who has nothing to do with us.

Not sure why they want to screw up the arms sale, and it's late so I'll have to follow up tomorrow. If I still care.

SamSpade

But again, what does any of this have to do with the US?

Someone can check this, but I believe that while he was not an American citizen, he had permanent resident status.

There's also the likelihood that the interrogation story is bull#### and they chopped him up -- alive.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

once again you :tantrum without comprehending the question

I've read all about it why should I care if the Saudi's dismembered this guy while he was still alive .. taking 7 min to kill him.

the guy was a member of the Muslim Brotherhood

This is really only our problem if

a) he is afforded some protection under US law (and I'm not sure he is) and/or [NO he was a resident not a citizen]
b) how his murder?/disappearance fits into a game being played that we (the public) are not yet privy to. But it is being played up by the MSM because he's (well, was) a journalist and his murder?/disappearance serves as a way to attack Trump (i.e., "See, journalists in danger as a result of fascist government goons and the worst goon is Trump" schtick).

Last edited:

Hijinx

First let me say to Transporter what has already been said. Instead of being an ass, try answering the question that was asked.
If you can.

Next let me answer Vrai. If he has any connection at all with the WAPO of course they will want the President to do something about it.
Even though they sh1t on the President daily they still want their dirty work done for them.
And it is another excuse to launch another attack on the WH.

There are some places people should have the good sense to avoid, especially when they know they have pissed off that location in some way.
For instance walking across the border into N. Korea, or go into Turkey and enter the Saudi embassy after bad mouthing the Saudi's
Of course it's a bad thing when these places use the opportunity to take revenge on a person.
But isn't that the reason you should know better than to go there?