This should get interesting

BernieP

Resident PIA
She should be sued for misuse of public funds.
If she is allowed to get away with this, every state will simply sue people and organizations they don't like.
The state has basically an infinite supply of money, your money, taxpayer money.
Dragging people and businesses into this type of law suit puts them at a huge disadvantage.
  1. the law and Constitution do not apply, simply need to show they were injured.
  2. in most states civil trials, lawsuits, do not have to be unanimous verdicts
  3. the level of "proof" is lower.
This is the next best thing to a grand jury.

PsyOps

Pixelated
The Trump orginization is no longer allowed to operate a charity due to their fraud and self dealing thanks to the NY Ag.

it’s the exact same thing.

If the NRA is guilty of the crimes it was systemic and orginazation wide and the organization should be closed.
A new organization can take its place.

You're wrong......................... AGAIN. The Trump Foundation was dissolved by Trump. While there was an investigation, and many findings of impropriety, they were never ordered to dissolve. And BTW... an organization doesn't commit crimes. PEOPLE within that organization do. The people are held accountable. in many cases that organization falls on its own. In most cases, management or operations gets turned over to someone else.

Good luck with the NRA. They will be around for a long time.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Seems to me this tactic might be able to be modified so as to disolve the Democrat Party! :getdown:

... And BLM.... ... And Moms Demand Action.... And PETA... .... And CNN....

BernieP

Resident PIA
Seems to me this tactic might be able to be modified so as to disolve the Democrat Party! :getdown:

... And BLM.... ... And Moms Demand Action.... And PETA... .... And CNN....
Exactly, take them to civil court where the burden of proof is lower.
Often only need a majority to win. And the state has the deep pockets to drag it out

The government could sue all the owners of gasoline powered vehicles and force them off the road.
Simply declare them a health hazard and sue on behalf of the people.

Chris0nllyn

You're wrong......................... AGAIN. The Trump Foundation was dissolved by Trump. While there was an investigation, and many findings of impropriety, they were never ordered to dissolve. And BTW... an organization doesn't commit crimes. PEOPLE within that organization do. The people are held accountable. in many cases that organization falls on its own. In most cases, management or operations gets turned over to someone else.

Here's the court stipulation regarding the dissolution. The dissolution was not the court's order, but paying restitution was. The dissolution was also supervised by the court.
https://ag.ny.gov/sites/default/files/stipulation_re_dissolution_execution_version.pdf

While it's true that an individual(s) does the crime, the foundation itself is certainly subject to being sued as a legal entity. Especially if they are a non-profit. Just look at Minnesota v. American Federation of Police and Concerned Citizens, Inc.
https://www.courthousenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/MinnAFPCC.pdf

Charity fraud is a crime and the charity itself can be subject to punishment. It's not limited to an individual. Personal liability is possible, but not a given.

Chris0nllyn

Exactly, take them to civil court where the burden of proof is lower.
Often only need a majority to win. And the state has the deep pockets to drag it out

The government could sue all the owners of gasoline powered vehicles and force them off the road.
Simply declare them a health hazard and sue on behalf of the people.

Unless gas powered cars are non-profits, I don't think that is true. Since they are a non profit, the AG can sue on behalf of the people.

Crabcatcher79

Why do you lie about easily verifiable things?
Or are you really that misinformed about the Truth

“The foundation agreed to dissolve under the supervision of a judge. Underwood's office will supervise the disbursement of the foundation's remaining assets to charities. The New York attorney general's office will continue its lawsuit against the foundation and is seeking millions in restitution and penalties, and it also seeks to bar Trump and his children from serving on the boards of other New York charities.“

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

The ' NRA ' isn't guilty of anything ....
Well? I would say they are guilty of not being an extremely tenacious organization without accepting any compromises. The NRA should be more like the ACLU, which is an extremely tenacious organization when it comes to fighting for 1st Amendment rights, and others. They do not compromise, well, except for skipping the defense of the 2nd Amendment. Not saying I like the ACLU, however, they do do some good and fight. Having way more wins against unconstitutional laws. The NRA? Not so much.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
A new organization can take its place.

Such an Organization will be just as hated as the NRA and will face just as rigorous assaults on it existence as the NRA has

Progressives want the over turning of the 2nd Amendment ANY Group that stands in the way must suffer destruction

PsyOps

Pixelated
Here's the court stipulation regarding the dissolution. The dissolution was not the court's order, but paying restitution was. The dissolution was also supervised by the court.
https://ag.ny.gov/sites/default/files/stipulation_re_dissolution_execution_version.pdf

While it's true that an individual(s) does the crime, the foundation itself is certainly subject to being sued as a legal entity. Especially if they are a non-profit. Just look at Minnesota v. American Federation of Police and Concerned Citizens, Inc.
https://www.courthousenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/MinnAFPCC.pdf

Charity fraud is a crime and the charity itself can be subject to punishment. It's not limited to an individual. Personal liability is possible, but not a given.

I love you people convolute things. Investigation into the Trump Foundation results in Trump dissolving the foundation = the government dissolved it.

My point was not to argue there was no impropriety found, my point is, an AG does not have the authority to dissolve any private entity. Can an AG sue it into oblivion? Sure. But, that would be highly unethical. And that's my larger point. What AG James is doing is a political move, not criminal. She is conspiring to take down an established organization. If AGs have this power over one, no organization is off limits to this sort of thing. We - THE PEOPLE - should not allow this sort of abuse of power. And this, for me, has nothing to do with the NRA. I defend any establishment to operate without government interference.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Why do you lie about easily verifiable things?
Or are you really that misinformed about the Truth

“The foundation agreed to dissolve under the supervision of a judge. Underwood's office will supervise the disbursement of the foundation's remaining assets to charities. The New York attorney general's office will continue its lawsuit against the foundation and is seeking millions in restitution and penalties, and it also seeks to bar Trump and his children from serving on the boards of other New York charities.“

Well first, reading comprehension is required. "The foundation agreed to dissolve under the supervision of a judge". When you see the word "supervision" do you see "order"? Because, if you do, you need to go back to some very basic reading skills. Or.......................................................... you're lying to yourself and everyone else.

Hijinx

Is this AG any worse than the one we have in Maryland?
WTH is going on when Democrat AG's from all over are joining on attacking the Republican President of the United States..
It's a conspiracy. Not a conspiracy theory, and actual conspiracy against a sitting President.

Some might say treason.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Is this AG any worse than the one we have in Maryland?
WTH is going on when Democrat AG's from all over are joining on attacking the Republican President of the United States..
It's a conspiracy. Not a conspiracy theory, and actual conspiracy against a sitting President.

Some might say treason.

What's most entertaining is, they keep failing to take Trump down. It's like watching a gang 50 trying to kill John Wick.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The allegations of malfeasance made by New York are against, among others, the NRA’s executive director, Wayne LaPierre. The details are little more newsworthy, as far as we can tell, than complaints already aired in recent years in news stories in the Times and other publications. The gist is that millions of dollars were spent on personal luxuries and in ways that Ms. James deems unfitting for a public charity.

This isn’t a case, though, of those alleged torts having been discovered in the normal course. Ms. James vowed to go after the NRA when she was running for attorney general in the first place. That would be troubling enough circumstance, if we were the judge (a stretch to be sure), to throw the case out in the first place. The NRA’s real tort, in the view of New York, is that it is the leading advocate for enforcing the Second Amendment.

The NRA could also be called America’s leading civil rights organization (by revenues it’s larger than, say, the NAACP, the ACLU, and the Anti-Defamation League combined). We’ll see what, if anything, Mr. LaPierre & Co. have done wrong, but the complaint reminds us of Lincoln’s famous remark about Grant’s penchant for strong liquor: “Find out what he’s been drinking and get some to the rest of my generals.”

The more illuminating suit is not the one Ms. James filed against the NRA but the one the NRA filed against her. It opens by quoting Ms. James as vowing during her election campaign to “take down the NRA” — not, the NRA alleges, by “refuting” the organization’s “policy positions or by advocating for gun control legislation” but by “wielding the powers” of the attorney general to “dismantle the NRA as a not-for-profit corporation.”

https://www.nysun.com/editorials/the-nras-fight-in-new-york/91213/