Those lovable pits.....

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
How many people do you suppose need to be maimed or killed before they put a criminal ban on that breed?

Pitbull lovers? Do you have a number in mind?

BernieP

Resident PIA
How many people do you suppose need to be maimed or killed before they put a criminal ban on that breed?

Pitbull lovers? Do you have a number in mind?
Please dpn't blame the breed, it's the owners. This is a minority of the pit bulls out there, but there are people who get the breed who shouldn't be allowed to have any animal. The owner should be held responsible, for the crime and restitution.

The breed is instinctively aggressive just as much as a Golden Retriever isn't aggressive. Pits from good homes with loving families have had ther beloved pet turn on them and their children in an instant.

Clem72

This is just a BS statement. While it's true in some cases, it's not true in all. I know from personal experience.

I had a cousin that was attacked by her own Pitt. Was a loving family pet for 8 years, then one day just woke up on the wrong side of the bed and decided to try and rip her arm off.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Lots of campground ban bully breed dogs. I bet their insurance company loves that they do that.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Please dpn't blame the breed, it's the owners. This is a minority of the pit bulls out there, but there are people who get the breed who shouldn't be allowed to have any animal. The owner should be held responsible, for the crime and restitution
You mean just like the lovable, lick you to death, had the pit bull from a pup for nine years before it mauled, chewed up and killed a 9 month old baby in front of the grandmother from a white "law enforcement" background family in Lusby a year or so ago? Those kind of owners?

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
The breed is instinctively aggressive just as much as a Golden Retriever isn't aggressive. Pits from good homes with loving families have had ther beloved pet turn on them and their children in an instant.
Edit: posted after others apparently posted objecting to the sense of this post of mine. Nevertheless, my opinion stands.

The problem is that pit bulls are bred to have an "instant on" red zone.

That's not the problem in that they have a place in certain situations. Families, though, I don't think are one of them.

I don't think we want the govt getting involved as to who can have a pit bull (or not), but clearly people have to do a better job when selecting a dog.

I have often considered the idea that if a family has kids and gets a pit bull (or other aggressive breed) the "parental units" should be charged with assault (or the like) if something bad happens.

But there's no good way to implement such an idea. So back to Square 1. Which also, incidentally, calms my libertarian objections to such schemes. That, and the fact that I love pits....

--- End of line (MCP)

black dog

Free America
Please dpn't blame the breed, it's the owners. This is a minority of the pit bulls out there, but there are people who get the breed who shouldn't be allowed to have any animal. The owner should be held responsible, for the crime and restitution.
Two questions,
Why are they called Bully Breeds?
And how do you get restitution when you neighbors pit horribly maims or kills someone in your household?

ginwoman

Boy oh boy. A few months ago I made the mistake of making a comment to a friend on facebook about pit bulls being nice dogs until they turn on you......Well why did I say that?! She jumped all down my throat and another one of her friends jumped all down my throat and said I was ignorant, etc. They turned into pit bulls on me, lol

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
FACT: different dogs breeds have different characteristics. Everybody knows that. You don't even have to be a dog person to be aware that all breeds have specific traits.

So why is it so hard to believe that pitbulls and their hybrids would be aggressive dogs?

black dog

Free America
FACT: different dogs breeds have different characteristics. Everybody knows that. You don't even have to be a dog person to be aware that all breeds have specific traits.

So why is it so hard to believe that pitbulls and their hybrids would be aggressive dogs?

Stupid people with stupid dogs are the reason I carry a handgun even while mowing my lawn and working in the yard.
It seems most bully dog owners just have a lifetime of making bad decisions.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

That's probably true with some folks, I'm in the camp that if you can't retrain the owner, retrain the dog.
I'm in the camp that all pit bulls should be banned and any currently alive be euthanized. Or, at a minimum, force owners to purchase a $100 million liability policy in case of human attack including, in case of said attack, resulting in a human death, or not, a minimum 10 years in prison.

mitzi

Suppose you can't find the owner? I had 2 pit bulls come up at night and attack my shepard mix laying on my deck. It was a helpless feeling seeing them trying to get your dog down. He was huge and fighting them. One was attacking and the other one was stalking in circles. It was a miracle 2 of them couldn't pull him down. The other miracle was somehow when I kept screaming his name and he managed to break loose enough to get to the door and I could grab his head and drag him in, terrified they were going to come after me. One hand grabbing my dog and the other hand holding an axe. I never saw them before and I never saw them again. My poor dog was so tore up and it took him weeks to heal. He wouldn't even go out to do his business unless I was with him. I guess they were the minority of the breed but I'll NEVER trust one around again.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I loathe bully breeds and don't want them around me, and I certainly don't want them near Apollo. Many of the RV parks we stay at have breed restrictions - they don't want the liability of some shithead dog attacking the campers.

Dummies can say "Oh, it's not the dog, it's owner" but that doesn't help when you or your child or your dog are being attacked and maimed/killed.

GregV814

so, a pit bull in a SUV wearing a MAGA hat are driving thru Charlottesville with a TRUMP bumper sticker, and..... (fill in the rest)...