Thoughts on buying just Amazon Prime and drop cable..

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
Comcast has jerked up the price again and I am paying 150.00 a month for cable, internet and Xfinity. Honestly I never watch the live shows. I will still get the internet service but paying 150 for cable that is killing me.

hitchicken

Amazon Prime alone will not give you much lasting content.

One time expenses: Antenna, mast, pre-amp, rotor, powered signal splitter (more than 1 TV), cable, couple of Roku boxes - $350 to $450. (Not ideal for everyone especially in heavily wooded locations)
Monthly expenses: $8 for Netflix (rumored to be going higher soon)
Yearly expenses: $99 for Amazon Prime (higher... no rumor)

Now you've got a full slate at a lower annual cost. If you need to watch any more TV than this... see a therapist.

blazinlow89

Big Poppa
We have Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu. Honestly we rarely use the Amazon service, it does have more series and sometimes shows within a few days of airing. However the general selection seems to compare with Netflix. Hulu is nice, lots of stuff next day. If you really want to benefit, using a computer will give the ability to watch a lot more programing than connecting through a peripheral device. You can either use and HDMI cord to get the image on a TV, or you could use something like Chromecast. Netflix also has a good selection, however they seem to be slow at updating with new content lately.

If you have an Xbox, or a Playstation you can use them for streaming. Currently we have 2 Xbox 360's, a Chromecast, and a Vizio smart TV. We had a Roku, ended up just giving it to a friend.

merc669

I had Directv and was paying 150 a month plus 55 for Metrocast Internet. I already been member of Amazon Prime for a number of years and the new increase to 99 from 79 does not factor in for me. We do a lot of shopping with Amazon and the free Amazon Channel is a side-benefit. We purchased 2 Roku's thru Amazon and using my internet have Amazon, Netflix and Hulu+, Crackle, LiveStream, etc. I also have PlayOn installed (One Time Fee). My monthly now has gone down to about 16 a month plus the 55 for Metrocast. I have also heard that Aereo will be in DC soon. It is already in Baltimore. However I think they are delaying any future cities until after the Supreme Court hears their case in Apr. But if that is won and Aereo broadcasts from there then you should be able to get local network channels. That is $8 for the basic package with 20 hours of DVR in the Cloud. As far as missing regular Cable/Sat, we are not really, although I do miss some live sports. But there is an adjustment period. But then I think of the money I am saving. May not seem like much for some. But to me and wife it does. But to each their own.

blazinlow89

Big Poppa
There are alternatives for live sports. Also at least with NFL you can live stream the playoff games from their website.

Just an FYI: Amazon is hosting an event next Wednesday for "an update on [their] video business". It's expected that they're going to unveil their own streaming media device, something like a Roku, Apple TV or Chromecast. Something closer to a Chromecast seems most likely.

LibertyBeacon

Unto dust we shall return
Did this a few years back when the first Roku came out. I have Netflix, Prime, and Crunchy Roll for anime.

I have Verizon delivering internet only over a FiOS connection. If I could do it affordably, I'd have a point to point high speed serial connection at T1 speed or better. I have a roof antenna for backup.

I don't care about sports, which is the biggest drawback of this sort of setup.

For those that have Amazon Prime: Have you tried the new streaming music service that comes with it? If so, what do you think of it?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
For those that have Amazon Prime: Have you tried the new streaming music service that comes with it? If so, what do you think of it?

:yay: My old iPad is now a stereo system with Pandora, iTunes, and a bluetooth speaker. Amazon doesn't have an app for the older OS, otherwise that's what we'd stream from instead of Pandora. I like the selection and the playlists on Amazon, plus it's free with my Prime membership.

Regarding cable, I didn't get it when I moved into my apartment. Haven't missed it once.

:yay: My old iPad is now a stereo system with Pandora, iTunes, and a bluetooth speaker. Amazon doesn't have an app for the older OS, otherwise that's what we'd stream from instead of Pandora. I like the selection and the playlists on Amazon, plus it's free with my Prime membership.

Regarding cable, I didn't get it when I moved into my apartment. Haven't missed it once.

You got a Kindle Fire right?

Do you think you'd ever consider a Fire Phone? It's only on AT&T for now.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You got a Kindle Fire right?

Do you think you'd ever consider a Fire Phone? It's only on AT&T for now.

I just got a Galaxy 5 a few months ago. Honestly, I use my phone for calls, texting, camera and video, and occasional web surfing. I don't use it for movies, or games, or reading, or anything else, so lots of bells and whistles are a waste of money for me.

I love my Kindle, though.

I just got a Galaxy 5 a few months ago. Honestly, I use my phone for calls, texting, camera and video, and occasional web surfing. I don't use it for movies, or games, or reading, or anything else, so lots of bells and whistles are a waste of money for me.

I love my Kindle, though.

I still use my iPads a lot, but less and less as I find my phone is so darn convenient for so many things.

I feel like WR suggested the other day - naked without my phone on my body or within arms reach. A couple weekends ago I left the house headed for the golf course without it and it took about 10 seconds for me to sense something was wrong. It took me a few minutes to figure out what it was, that I'd forgotten my phone. It's a good think I leave the house with plenty of time to spare...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I feel like WR suggested the other day - naked without my phone on my body or within arms reach. A couple weekends ago I left the house headed for the golf course without it and it took about 10 seconds for me to sense something was wrong. It took me a few minutes to figure out what it was, that I'd forgotten my phone. It's a good think I leave the house with plenty of time to spare...

I leave my phone at home frequently and don't even miss it. The only real reason I keep upgrading my phone is Verizon gives me a great deal when I renew my plan.

I leave my phone at home frequently and don't even miss it. The only real reason I keep upgrading my phone is Verizon gives me a great deal when I renew my plan.

Are you to the point yet where knowing yardages on the golf course matters?

I sometimes use my iPhone for that, because I'm too cheap to buy a proper rangefinder.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Are you to the point yet where knowing yardages on the golf course matters?

No because I don't have good enough control. Right now I just eyeball it, choose the club that should get me there if I hit it right, and take a whack.

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
I did give up my cable tv and just am using netflix right now. I got my first bill of just internet..oh that was nice.

I use my IPAD for watching some stuff,