thoughts on S&W M&P15 sport

dustin

UAIOE
I've been tossing around the idea of getting an AR or AK variant sometime in the future (maybe a nice Christmas present for myself?), especially now that prices seem to be dropping (on the ARs at least). I don't intend to "tacti-cool" it and I don't intend to shoot matches with it. Nor do I plan to crawl under barb wire through stinky muck to get to my fighting hole. The weapon would spend most days tucked away and come out for range plinking. Would not serve as a "go-to" for Home-D as I have better alternatives already (for me at least).

That said the Smith and Wesson M&P15 "Sport" model seems like a good fit. It lacks some features that are found on higher priced ARs like the forward assist, dust cover, chromed barrel/chamber. For my intended purposes I don't see these features as a "must-have". I've found a good deal on it here S&W MP15 Sport 5.56mm 30rd for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $520.00 (although they just sold out last weekend). With of course the S&W lifetime warranty. I believe this is an HBAR as well...

For AK variants I'm looking at some of the cheaper Century built Romanian WASR-10... have had my eye on the Czech VZ2008, but apparently Century stopped building them a few months ago. (Czechpoint VZ-58 too much $$$). Czechpoint - Product - Rifles - 7.62 x 39 mm - Sa vz. 58 Military

Maybe a Saiga conversion... Unadvertised Specials

Firearm savvy folk... what are your thoughts?

edinsomd

Get both!
:biggrin:

I, err, a friend has a Bushmaster AR. It had trouble with steel cased ammo until I, err, my friend upgraded the extractor (very easy to do). Now it's a joy to shoot. Not as familiar with AKs. I've fired a few and they always seem to go bang when you hit the go-switch. They are about the most popular rifle on the planet, about as reliable as a ball-peen hammer, and they are not picky about ammo that I've seen.

The chrome barrel, dust cover and forward assist were put on the AR for a reason.

If it's one or the other and you're looking for an inexpensive plinker, I'd look hard at the AK, were I you.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
A vote here for an AK variant. I've had my MAK-90 for about 15 years and its my "go to" weapon for everything from plinking (because 7.62 is cheap) to being my "brush gun" for deer hunting. It's [surprisingly] accurate..its reliaible..

I have an SKS too..and won't shoot it. Dangerous POS in my experience.

But... I still want to add an AR to my collection too.:killingme

Bonehead

Hmmmm

My SKS always goes bang when I want it to. I did buy a carbine SKS years back that would go full auto at random intervals....that gun went back fast !!!

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
Why not spend slightly more and get some of the features you may not "need" now, but might really wish you had if the time ever came? Spike's Tactical.. you can still KISS yet have something really reliable if the SHTF and warranties no longer help you just at the moment when your gun won't go bang?

dustin

UAIOE
All good points between AK and AR...

Unfortunately fun money is in short supply so I have to choose one (for now).

...should've bought the Century VZ2008 back when they were still available...

seems like the cheap 7.62x39 and 5.56 ammo runs around the same price...

so yeah I want to be able to shoot cheap steel cased ammo, I read and hear that some ARs dont like this kind of range ammo... experiences with this???

BTW there is a company out there that makes a spring for the SKS firing pin so you don't get slam-fires...

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
BTW there is a company out there that makes a spring for the SKS firing pin so you don't get slam-fires...

I'd heard that...and that is, I believe, the whole problem mine has. I'll see about modding it some day...after I get my newest .45-70 dialed in. I love the ancient 'cannons' myself...

itsbob

I bowl overhand
The chrome barrel, dust cover and forward assist were put on the AR for a reason.

This is all true, but the reasons they were developed are situations and environments 99% of us are ever going to experience with our weapons.

I've fired one or two rounds through M16s of different variations and can only recall using the forward assist when firing blanks, and the M16A2 was exceptionally reliable.

<$600 for an M16 like rifle sounds REAL good to me.

edinsomd

This is all true, but the reasons they were developed are situations and environments 99% of us are ever going to experience with our weapons.

I've fired one or two rounds through M16s of different variations and can only recall using the forward assist when firing blanks, and the M16A2 was exceptionally reliable.

<$600 for an M16 like rifle sounds REAL good to me.

You don't take your firearms outdoors?

OK, I'll concede the forward assist, and you get what you pay for. That price will get you a nice AK, which I would perfer over a "bargin" AR.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
You don't take your firearms outdoors?

Not for 6 months to a year at time... Nor will they see the interior of a jungle, or the vastness of a desert, at least not for more than a few hours at a time.

Nor will I low crawl through mud, or swamps.. or put them in harsh desert environments.

There are reasons military weapons are made the way they are, reasons 99% of us will never encounter with our weapons.