Thousands of US travelers on major airlines' no-fly lists as TSA vets Capitol rioters

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
David Pekoske of the Transportation Security Administration told the Associated Press that the organization is “processing hundreds of names with law enforcement agencies for a thorough risk assessment.” Pekoske added that "those who may pose a threat" will either "undergo enhanced screening" or be barred from boarding their flight.

On Friday, the TSA announced it would be increasing the number of air marshals on flights, expanding the number of bomb-detecting K-9s and police officers, and heightening the frequency in which random screenings for travelers are deployed. The move follows the Jan. 6 Capitol riot that resulted in five deaths and the numerous threats to interrupt the Wednesday inauguration of President-elect Joe Biden.

The TSA declined to mention anything more recent pertaining to its operations to the Washington Examiner.

Viral videos from the day following the Capitol unrest appeared to show Trump supporters being barred from airlines, despite not being present on an official no-fly list. The TSA informed the Washington Examiner that the frustrated passengers "would not have been permitted to get to gate" had they been present on the government's list.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Damn... I need to get myself on one of those No-Fly lists.

Sorry Gilligan. Can't fly to Honduras. Can't fly to Taiwan. Can't fly anywhere. No-Fly list. :lol:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
And he causes all, the small and the great, and the rich and the poor, and the free men and the slaves, to be given a mark on their right hand or on their forehead, and he provides that no one will be able to buy or to sell, except the one who has the mark, either the name of the beast or the number of his name.
~Revelation 13:16-17

What's interesting about the Book of Revelation is that it's taken as prophecy but it's also an observation of what was going on at the time it was written. There have been numerous times throughout history when Christians have been sure it was the End Times, and Revelation was coming to pass.

So besides the Bible, you could also read The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire by Edward Gibbon. An excerpt (copied from Wiki):

The story of its ruin is simple and obvious; and, instead of inquiring why the Roman empire was destroyed, we should rather be surprised that it had subsisted so long. The victorious legions, who, in distant wars, acquired the vices of strangers and mercenaries, first oppressed the freedom of the republic, and afterwards violated the majesty of the purple. The emperors, anxious for their personal safety and the public peace, were reduced to the base expedient of corrupting the discipline which rendered them alike formidable to their sovereign and to the enemy; the vigour of the military government was relaxed, and finally dissolved, by the partial institutions of Constantine; and the Roman world was overwhelmed by a deluge of Barbarians.

Interesting, eh? Human nature doesn't change, evil can never be eradicated, and there's nothing new under the sun.

SamSpade

They will need more Marshals and bomb sniffing dogs once Biden lifts the restrictions on Muslim country travel.

Probably - not. Because the Trump bans weren't onerous no matter how much the press says otherwise.
Bear in mind they only pertained to people arriving from a small number of nations, among them countries not having a LOT of air travel to the United States, such as North Korea.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if they are THE SAME travel restrictions as Trump -

But they will call them something else - because they were nearly the same ones as Obama.

SamSpade

What's interesting about the Book of Revelation is that it's taken as prophecy but it's also an observation of what was going on at the time it was written. There have been numerous times throughout history when Christians have been sure it was the End Times, and Revelation was coming to pass.

You know, for someone who claims not to be very religious, that is insightful and spot on. (You also called it "Revelation" without the non-existent S).

The Book of Revelation is not unique among books of its type; there were and have been many apocalyptic books - it is meant to portray images, not forecast events. I've read it many times, and it never comes close to specifically foretelling an event. (Except possibly - one - and it is seriously creepy).

My take is - read the messages to the Churches; marvel at the imagery of God's dwelling being among mankind; and comfort in the knowledge that ultimately, God will win. But a lot of stuff will happen first. Don't look to predict it - Jesus said that even he didn't know when it would come.

* Creepy Prediction: This STILL skeeves me out a bit -
Chapter 8 -
10The third angel sounded his trumpet, and a great star, blazing like a torch, fell from the sky on a third of the rivers and on the springs of water— 11the name of the star is Wormwood. a A third of the waters turned bitter, and many people died from the waters that had become bitter.

In the Ukrainian Bible - "wormwood" translates to - Chernobyl. It is the name of the city, named for the bitter mid-eastern plant.
I've checked - yep. This ain't fake news.