Three Car Collision at Great Mills and Shangri-La w/video

NOTSMC

Is the SUV trying to make a u-turn or something? Watched it three times - there's no turn into that restaurant from Great Mills Road there...at least I don't think there is.

NOTSMC

Is the SUV trying to make a u-turn or something? Watched it three times - there's no turn into that restaurant from Great Mills Road there...at least I don't think there is.

Disregard. I just now read the article - SUV was trying to make a u-turn. What an idiot.

Clem72

Looks to me like that accident took 2.5 idiots. Idiot #1 is the u-turn on red, idiot #1.5 is the truck going too fast through the intersection (but at least he was paying attention), idiot #2 is the SUV that was going too fast and apparently not paying any attention to their surroundings.

NOTSMC

Looks to me like that accident took 2.5 idiots. Idiot #1 is the u-turn on red, idiot #1.5 is the truck going too fast through the intersection (but at least he was paying attention), idiot #2 is the SUV that was going too fast and apparently not paying any attention to their surroundings.
I wonder what was going through their mind. It's crazy to even attempt that on a busy road like Great Mills.

PeoplesElbow

This is the worst intersection around. The "Stenny Bricks" really did a number to it.

1) The left turn lanes off GMR are offset so if someone is in the opposite one you can't see oncoming traffic
2) The lanes from Shang-ri-la are offset from the ones on Willows, many times someone in the right most lane coming off Shang-ri-la almost hit me because they assumed it was the straight lane because it lines up with the one on Willows.
3) Many people want to make a U-turn there, but there isn't enough room to do so for most vehicles so they end up backing up to make that U-Turn
4) The entry to Walgreens/Popeyes right at the intersection, idiots want to cross three lanes of traffic to get into there when they only need to got 25ft further and go behind Popeyes to get in.

All four of these things cause issues.

NOTSMC

This is the worst intersection around. The "Stenny Bricks" really did a number to it.

1) The left turn lanes off GMR are offset so if someone is in the opposite one you can't see oncoming traffic
2) The lanes from Shang-ri-la are offset from the ones on Willows, many times someone in the right most lane coming off Shang-ri-la almost hit me because they assumed it was the straight lane because it lines up with the one on Willows.
3) Many people want to make a U-turn there, but there isn't enough room to do so for most vehicles so they end up backing up to make that U-Turn
4) The entry to Walgreens/Popeyes right at the intersection, idiots want to cross three lanes of traffic to get into there when they only need to got 25ft further and go behind Popeyes to get in.

Not to mention what it does to the people that are late getting to work on base and really need to run that red light.

I got t-boned at that intersection just last year.

glhs837

Power with Control

Yep, like many intersections, There are ways I simply will not interact with that intersection. Like the Gate 3 intersection, those pathways do not pass muster as being safe enough.

1. I will not take the left onto GMR due to that offset. I take the left and go down past the library and come out onto GMR at the old Burger King.
2. I will not go straight through onto ShangriLa north. I hang the left and then another left at 235. Its quicker and avoids the idiocy of people leaving the parking on either side.
3. I will take the left onto ShangriLa south, but I piss people off by waiting til all other turning traffic across the intersection has gone. When they are there, even on my tall bike, you simply cannot clear it.

People entering that Popeyes parking from that direction can piss off.

PeoplesElbow

Not so sure the truck was going too fast, that SUV made that U-Turn right in front of it. The 2nd SUV was definitely going too fast.

PeoplesElbow

Not to mention what it does to the people that are late getting to work on base and really need to run that red light.

I got t-boned at that intersection just last year.
Hope you gave them hell. Every intersection i stopped at today had at least one vehicle run the red.

NOTSMC

Hope you gave them hell. Every intersection i stopped at today had at least one vehicle run the red.
Actually. It took him a good ten minutes or so before he even approached my car and I didn't know at the time that it was the guy that hit me. He asked if I was okay and I said yeah, I think the guy that hit me, left, and he said no that was me. I said why and it probably was in a rude tone of voice. I know I had the green light, it was only turning yellow as I was going under it and he admitted he didn't see me when he ran the red light. I got the impression that he thought it was my fault. And to be honest, I was coming through that intersection faster than normal BUT I still had the green. I was probably a little rude to him in asking him

At any rate, later that day, I called him on his cell from the police report to apologize for my tone of voice and ask if he was okay. Also told him that I was very sorry it happened to both of us. Never done that before. We both had Geico so it all worked out okay. I had more trouble with them then I did with him.

I'm still apprehensive at that intersection.

NOTSMC

Not so sure the truck was going too fast, that SUV made that U-Turn right in front of it. The 2nd SUV was definitely going too fast.
Is that a thing to make a u-turn there?

I was coming up ShangriLa to go to McDonalds today and saw exactly where everything happened. My little car could make a tight u-ey but an SUV - that's bananas.

PeoplesElbow

Is that a thing to make a u-turn there?

I was coming up ShangriLa to go to McDonalds today and saw exactly where everything happened. My little car could make a tight u-ey but an SUV - that's bananas.
Yes it is, see it all the time and most vehicles can't actually make it so they have to back up.

They really need to restrict U-turns there.