Three Notch trail

cheezgrits

Thought pirate
Did a little recon on the newly constructed parts (from the accessible parts from the road) and noticed that the Amish are ruining it already with buggy wheel ruts and horse crap all over it. Wonder if contacting the commissioners will do any good?

Humbled

Wouldn't you rather dodge a little pile of poop, than dodge the buggy on the highway? They need to get around town too. Cut em a little slack, please.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
If the Amish are ruining it already I'd say the construction of the road is pretty shoddy.

How much weight can a horse and buggy put on a road surface compared to a car, or a truck?

Besides.. the area you are talking about everything you speak of shouldn't be a surprise.. and I think adds to the character if the area.

I know when I'm on my bike in those areas I slow it down a bit as I don't want my bike sliding out from unDer me when I hit a pile of poo in a corner.. but u wouldn't change a thing on those roads.

They're as big a part of SOMD as the rest of us.. maybe even more so than most of us.. I think it's cool.

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
I'm totally OK with the horse poop if it keeps the Amish safe from the crazed foaming at the mouth drivers out there. I have noticed this new section being worked on is more hilly and quality of the work doesn't seam to be as good as the completed sections. Cedar View Ct has a pretty good sized hill in the trail to cross the road.

I'm sure it won't be long before the Amish pick up and leave SoMD due to sprawl and crawl. :(

BernieP

Resident PIA
In cities they make the carriage ride companies bag the horses to keep the streets clean.
We make people pick up their dog's poo as well. Except for those kind souls who bag it and leave it on my lawn like it's my responsibility to dispose of their dog's ####.
So, maybe they should tell the Amish, all horse riders, that they either bag the horse or stop and pick up the manure, it's not sanitary and not fair to the other users to have to be aware of piles of manure.

As for foaming at the mouth drivers, here's my finger raised to you. Most, the vast majority, are careful around the buggies and horses. Sharing the road or trail takes two.

I'm totally OK with the horse poop if it keeps the Amish safe from the crazed foaming at the mouth drivers out there. I have noticed this new section being worked on is more hilly and quality of the work doesn't seam to be as good as the completed sections. Cedar View Ct has a pretty good sized hill in the trail to cross the road.

I'm sure it won't be long before the Amish pick up and leave SoMD due to sprawl and crawl. :(

Has the new section opened yet?

The new section runs between the two existing sections in Charlotte hall and laurel grove through mechanicsville. Not sure if it is open yet.

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
Not open yet, still have a long way to go. It's paved right now from Thompsons Corner to just north of Mechanicsville Road. From there they are prepping for asphalt to Cedar View. From there they are still clearing trees to Rt 5.

SandieGarry

If I remember correctly, (and I may be wrong), when the first section opened, it's main intention was for the Amish to use the trail to get their tobacco to the auction warehouse in Hughesville without having to get on rt 5. This was done to provide a safer route for the Amish and to alleviate traffic along rt 5 in the morning rush hour. Like I said, I may be wrong.

As far as a little horse poop on the trail, get over it. If I remember correctly, horses are allowed on all of the trail, and have been since the beginning. Are you going to ban all horse traffic on the entire trail ? I doubt it. How about pets in general ? What next, no dogs ? Geesh, get over it. People are getting to soft these days, it's Mother Nature for gosh sakes.

cheezgrits

Thought pirate
If I remember correctly, (and I may be wrong), when the first section opened, it's main intention was for the Amish to use the trail to get their tobacco to the auction warehouse in Hughesville without having to get on rt 5. This was done to provide a safer route for the Amish and to alleviate traffic along rt 5 in the morning rush hour. Like I said, I may be wrong.

As far as a little horse poop on the trail, get over it. If I remember correctly, horses are allowed on all of the trail, and have been since the beginning. Are you going to ban all horse traffic on the entire trail ? I doubt it. How about pets in general ? What next, no dogs ? Geesh, get over it. People are getting to soft these days, it's Mother Nature for gosh sakes.

Buggies are not allowed on the northern trail past the library. It's a recreational trail, not a Amish bypass.

Leave well enough alone!

Wouldn't you rather dodge a little pile of poop, than dodge the buggy on the highway? They need to get around town too. Cut em a little slack, please.

I ride that trail several times a week on the entire paved part and there is a very small part that the Amish use. It does not bother me at all of the small bit of horse manure that is on trail. No more than is on So.MD highways. It dries out very quickly and blows away. I have more problem with people and their dogs who don't clean up as that be a health hazard.

cheezgrits

Thought pirate
1. This is not a road, but a trail. The metal on the buggy wheels rut the asphalt.

2. Recreational trails do not need horse #### all over them.

3. If the trail isn't open yet,why are the Amish being allowed to use it?

4. You love the Amish so much, why aren't their buggies tagged, titled and taxed, just like cars?

BernieP

Resident PIA
1. This is not a road, but a trail. The metal on the buggy wheels rut the asphalt.

4. You love the Amish so much, why aren't their buggies tagged, titled and taxed, just like cars?

You tell em

DQ2B

Even if the buggies were not allowed, horses are so it wouldn't solve you're issue of horse ####

DQ2B

"In cities they make the carriage ride companies bag the horses to keep the streets clean.
We make people pick up their dog's poo as well. Except for those kind souls who bag it and leave it on my lawn like it's my responsibility to dispose of their dog's ####.
So, maybe they should tell the Amish, all horse riders, that they either bag the horse or stop and pick up the manure, it's not sanitary and not fair to the other users to have to be aware of piles of manure."

Well, this isn't a city. It's rural southern Maryland. At least it's supposed to be but let's go ahead and pave and concrete over everything, impose ridiculous rules and while we're at it why not fine and tax the hell out of everybody down here too. Would that make you more satisfied with the state of affairs is southern Maryland.

Last edited:

cheezgrits

Thought pirate
Even if the buggies were not allowed, horses are so it wouldn't solve you're issue of horse ####

From this forum and St. Mary's County:
The only portion of Three Notch Trail that is open to "horse and buggies" is Rt. 236 North to the Veterans Home. This is the area that the Amish traverse and they are responsible for cleaning up after their animals.

Last edited: