Thrift Stores/Consignment Shops...???

4boys1princess

Once Upon a Time...
We are still new around here and was wondering if you could tell me where to find some good Thrift Stores or Consignment Shops.
I went to the Thrift Store outside of gate 2 here, and was not impressed (sorry)
Any help would be great!
Thanks!

jbooty

There is one in Leonardtown on the left just past the Sunoco gas station.. there is also one in Charlotte Hall on the right just past the Farmer's Market.

annemayer

We are still new around here and was wondering if you could tell me where to find some good Thrift Stores or Consignment Shops.
I went to the Thrift Store outside of gate 2 here, and was not impressed (sorry)
Any help would be great!
Thanks!

I'll toss things in th trash before I give to Vintage Values in Lexington Park. You take items there,and the woman who runs the place for T.C.L.E. looks it over to decide if it's good enough,refuses what she doesn't want,then prices it out of reach for their customers. I've donated things there like small space heaters only to see her immediately put 20-30.00 on them. Makes me furious. I've seen sofas for 2-300.00,clothing like shoes for 8,and so on. Alot of people use the place as a resource when they can't afford things. So now,when I have nice clothes or something to donate,I do it on off hours,and throw a free sign on it out front. Always gone in minutes!:evil:

My vote goes to the Smile Thrift Store in Lusby. It is easily the best thrift store in the tri-county area. Other thrift stores should take lessons from them. People line up (at least 100 deep) to be one of the first ones in the store when they open the doors at 10am on Wednesdays. I don't think that's a phenomenon you'll see at any other thrift in the area.

SMILE Ecumenical Ministries - Our Thrift Shop

address:
SMILE Ecumenical Ministries - Index

chris from yardsalequeen.com

Last edited:

shannonbrio

There is the SPOT in St. Leonard, just north of the traffic circle.

If you are looking for kids clothing, Sassafras Hill in the Wildewood Shopping Center is now consigning kids clothing. I have found some great stuff for my little ones there.

Also for ladies clothing there is LaPosh at Great Mills Road and Rt. 5.

Hope this helps.

4boys1princess

Once Upon a Time...
I'll toss things in th trash before I give to Vintage Values in Lexington Park. You take items there,and the woman who runs the place for T.C.L.E. looks it over to decide if it's good enough,refuses what she doesn't want,then prices it out of reach for their customers. I've donated things there like small space heaters only to see her immediately put 20-30.00 on them. Makes me furious. I've seen sofas for 2-300.00,clothing like shoes for 8,and so on. Alot of people use the place as a resource when they can't afford things. So now,when I have nice clothes or something to donate,I do it on off hours,and throw a free sign on it out front. Always gone in minutes!:evil:

See, I was thinking that same thing of the one in Lexington Park. I still don't own a winter jacket, & my kids keep growing (LOL) They had jackets priced there between $30-40. I can get a new one at Kmart for that price... A broken armoir for $100... Crazy prices....

sunflower

Loving My Life...

She wouldnt take our like new infant music toys because they dont take toys. I said BS whats that in the cart??? She still refused to take that and a car seat because of a few stains but was selling one without straps!!?? OK.. I now donate to the Pregnancy care center...

ginwoman

maybe we should start calling the main office (development center in H'wood) when we see things like this going on.

FED_UP

See, I was thinking that same thing of the one in Lexington Park. I still don't own a winter jacket, & my kids keep growing (LOL) They had jackets priced there between $30-40. I can get a new one at Kmart for that price... A broken armoir for $100... Crazy prices....

Wow those prices are ridiculous for a thrift shop, WTF. Sounds like people are better off advertising in the SOMD forum, set your own price, let them pick it up. I guess it could be time consuming if you don't have alot of time. But also I don't think you can right it off on taxes if it's done from the house. Is someone in the thrift shop pocketing some cash????????? BS prices the way times are these days. I took a lot of stuff there, good stuff, I would hate to see some less fortunate person pay too much. No wonder I stay FED UP all the time.

Try the lil' thrift store at St. Andrews Episcopal church, I found a new winter coat for $8.00 ... I think they are only open a few days of the week maybe thurs,friday & saturday

annemayer

maybe we should start calling the main office (development center in H'wood) when we see things like this going on.

I know most of the people in there who work there,and I can tell you that the place is corrupt in my opinion. They don't provide any sort of service from what I have seen for the disabled,they use them as cheap labor,pay them a pittance,and call it helping. Shirley,the woman we are all referring to who over-prices things,and Ron,the guy in the booth up in the corner sometimes,are very aware of what they are doing,and so long as that store turns a profit,it's all good for the developmental center. Jack Hormel is the one running the show,or used to be,and I can tell you that a call to the main office will get nowhere. They are about the almighty dollar,and it's a real shame. Disabled people deserve to have a place to go/work where they are treated the same as anyone else,and not be yelled at,like they do in the store sometimes,and paid an unfair wage. And people who try to help by donating goods deserve to be treated like they are doing something nice and be thanked,instead of being treated as if the store is doing you a favor by taking the stuff,and then ripping off the very people they should be helping. The place is bad,all the way around. Can you tell I have some issues regarding this place?!:mad::killingme It makes me so mad when I have gone in there in the past and donated a nice toy/outfit for some child who might need it,and then gone back to see it priced at the same as in a regular store. I wish that place would close,I really do.

annemayer

Hey Vrai,why not have an addition to the forums here where we can swap,give away,etc.? People can post what they need/want to get rid of? I know the classifieds have a wanted and free section,but any time I have used that,I get pic requests,a million questions,and the same type of people who have chester drawers and spaded dogs. I can't find a freecycle group for St.Mary's....come on.....just think about it. Forumites can meet each other,save some money.

kk2187

Hey Vrai,why not have an addition to the forums here where we can swap,give away,etc.? People can post what they need/want to get rid of? I know the classifieds have a wanted and free section,but any time I have used that,I get pic requests,a million questions,and the same type of people who have chester drawers and spaded dogs. I can't find a freecycle group for St.Mary's....come on.....just think about it. Forumites can meet each other,save some money.

St. Mary's County Freecycle

Charles County Freecycle

Calvert link to their Yahoo group on Freecycle

Last edited:

Hazel

I have been to the place in LP to drop off. You walk in and go to the left, and behind the doorway is a big open area where you leave your things along the wall.

Once, that was full. They had me walk into the back room to drop off. On the way back past the initial drop off room which was full, there was a separate large area off to my right where there were hundreds of bags being sorted. I continued to my left into their storage area, which I had never seen.

Basically, it looked like the back of a dirty warehouse where there was a bay for trucks to pull up into. There were bags from floor to ceiling - and we aren't talking 8' ceilings - and a good 20 bags deep on either side of the room. There were thousands of garbage bags filled back there. It was shocking.

luvmygdaughters

Any help would be great!
Thanks!

Vintage Values in Leonardtown is good and has coats that are priced as should be, ie. daughter bought a leather jacket in great condition for 10.00. Not sure about kids clothes, all mine are grown. But check it out. Cant speak for the one in Lexington Park, nenver been there.

annemayer

And those bags = busy work for the clients,funding to the center for giving them the work.
Not to mention,warm clothing sitting there useless,as people sift through racks who can't afford their prices,who have nothing. Sickening.
Messed up my post - this was in response to Hazel.

Hazel

Right! It was so disheartening to see! I'm so glad that people are so generous and are donating, but there has to be some solution to processing everything and getting it out the door. Maybe a blow our pricing event would help them! $1 for everything!

Otherwise, I would have to imagine that letting bags of clothing pile up would lead to quite a bit of it just being ruined and going to waste. I could just throw my things away myself if that is what is going to happen to them.

luvmygdaughters

I know most of the people in there who work there,and I can tell you that the place is corrupt in my opinion. They don't provide any sort of service from what I have seen for the disabled,they use them as cheap labor,pay them a pittance,and call it helping. Shirley,the woman we are all referring to who over-prices things,and Ron,the guy in the booth up in the corner sometimes,are very aware of what they are doing,and so long as that store turns a profit,it's all good for the developmental center. Jack Hormel is the one running the show,or used to be,and I can tell you that a call to the main office will get nowhere. They are about the almighty dollar,and it's a real shame. Disabled people deserve to have a place to go/work where they are treated the same as anyone else,and not be yelled at,like they do in the store sometimes,and paid an unfair wage. And people who try to help by donating goods deserve to be treated like they are doing something nice and be thanked,instead of being treated as if the store is doing you a favor by taking the stuff,and then ripping off the very people they should be helping. The place is bad,all the way around. Can you tell I have some issues regarding this place?!:mad::killingme It makes me so mad when I have gone in there in the past and donated a nice toy/outfit for some child who might need it,and then gone back to see it priced at the same as in a regular store. I wish that place would close,I really do.

It appears you have an issue with CFLE. I agree that disabled people should be allowed to work and this establishment allows them to do so. The salaries paid to the disabled are not set by the Center, but are designated in the government contracts that are awarded to the Center. They are also funded by federal and state grants. Also, the disabled that are working receive an SSI check every month, most of them live at home with parents and relatives. It is not so much about the money they receive from the job,but the feeling of doing something useful and giving them some independence and self esteem.