Throat Cancer (Larynx)

dog lover

My mom has throat cancer and has been wispering since last October. Does anyone know of anything that could possibly help keep the swelling of her throat down and get her a voice back? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

dog lover

Her lymph nodes were damaged after the radiation treatments. She has to massage her neck constantly since her throat swells from ear to ear all the way out to her chin. Her doctor has given her many things to try and she has to gargle a couple of times a day. Unfortunetly nothing is helping.
I didn't know if someone has gone through this or knows of someone who has that found something that worked. I have tried looking up botanical and homeopathic medicines but can't find anything specific for her to try.

PsyOps

Pixelated
I hope this helps:

Larynx Cancer Symptoms, Causes, Treatment - What are the side effects of treatment for larynx cancer on MedicineNet

Changes in voice quality. Your voice may be weak at the end of the day. It may also be affected by changes in the weather. Voice changes and the feeling of a lump in your throat may come from swelling in the larynx caused by the radiation. The doctor may suggest medicine to reduce this swelling.

She should talk to her doctor about possible remedies. I'm afraid she will be challenged to find any real relief and just have to tough it out. Easy for someone like me (who isn't affected) but cancer is really hard to suffer through without several side-effects.

Prayers for your mom and you.

Last edited:

dog lover

annemayer

My mom has throat cancer and has been wispering since last October. Does anyone know of anything that could possibly help keep the swelling of her throat down and get her a voice back? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm a nurse and used to work with hospice. One thing I personally swear by,and don't discount it,is honey. This is a natural anti-inflammatory,and is also wonderful for the throat in terms of dryness,irritation,etc. If you can find it at the farmers market all the better-it will be less processed,and have more anti-inflammatory compounds. From a medicine standpoint,I'd suggest steroids,which I'm sure your mom's doctor already knows about and has either used or not used them depending on her situation. Steroids do interfere with the bodies natural defenses,and are not always the answer. I personally do believe that drugs can help-SOMETIMES-but they can also hurt,everything has a side effect,and exploring natural ways to help ease any suffering your mom may be having is a great start.I would do warm compresses on the exterior as well as honey,either straight or with cool tea. Honey is my first choice whenever my kids have a throat issue,or myself. Prayers for you and your mom.