Ticketed for warming up car in own driveway

Misfit

Lawful neutral
http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-news/227591405-story

ROSEVILLE, Mich. (WJBK) - A Roseville man is becoming Facebook famous after he posted a picture of a ticket he received from a Roseville cop for warming up his vehicle in his own driveway.

Nick Taylor posted the sarcastic Facebook post on Thursday, thanking the officer who gave him the ticket. According to the picture, the ticket is for his car that was left running in the driveway with no one around.

"I've never heard of any city ordinance of law like that," Taylor said.

Attachments

• 2017-01-10_14-02-02.jpg
    2017-01-10_14-02-02.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 531
Two steps away from Detroit. There's no way I'd leave an unlocked vehicle in that area, warming up or not!

NextJen

Raisin cane
I wonder if it is only against the law if the keys are in it? What about if you have remote started your car from inside your house with the key fob thingy?

*I don't know the technology well enough, but I assume that you can't put the car in drive and take off if the fob is not in the vicinity of the vehicle?

I thought it was only illegal out in public, in a parking lot or somewhere? I didn't realize you couldn't warm your car up in your own driveway.
http://www.abc2news.com/news/state/leaving-your-car-running-while-unattended-is-illegal-in-maryland
Breaking this law could come with a $70 fine plus one point against your driving record. If your car slips out of gear and causes and accident, officers could issue a ticket carrying a $110 fine and three points against your license.

The law does have some wiggle room, allowing cars using a remote keyless ignition starter to run unattended for up to five minutes. The law also allows a parked car to run unattended for up to five minutes while locked on private property not open to the public.

I wonder if it is only against the law if the keys are in it? [/]Yes.
What about if you have remote started your car from inside your house with the key fob thingy?

*I don't know the technology well enough, but I assume that you can't put the car in drive and take off if the fob is not in the vicinity of the vehicle?
There is theft prevention built into the "auto start" technology for just such a scenario.

luvmygdaughters

I think its a ridiculous law. Because I'm warming my car up...ON MY PROPERTY NO LESS...some a$$hat trespasses on my property and steals my car...AND YOUR GOING TO GIVE ME A TICKET!!! What if I left my door unlocked at my house, if someone broke in and stole everything, would you arrest me?

I think its a ridiculous law. Because I'm warming my car up...ON MY PROPERTY NO LESS...some a$$hat trespasses on my property and steals my car...AND YOUR GOING TO GIVE ME A TICKET!!! What if I left my door unlocked at my house, if someone broke in and stole everything, would you arrest me?
I don't think the law is intended in the same context as "leaving your house unlocked" but rather in the context of "leaving the gate to your outdoor pool unlocked". Intentionally leaving an unlocked car running with the keys in it is creating an inviting potential hazard.

pelers

I wonder if it is only against the law if the keys are in it? [/]Yes.
There is theft prevention built into the "auto start" technology for just such a scenario.

Depends on the car, actually. In my car (Nissan Murano) if I use the remote start you have to get into the vehicle (with the fob) and push the start button again for it to drive anywhere. Likewise, if I leave the car running and exit the vehicle with my fob the engine will just cut off if somebody tries to put the car in gear. That isn't always the case. Not sure about what happens if the vehicle is remotely started, but some vehicles with the keyless start will happily continue driving until turned off regardless of where the fob is.

What if I left my door unlocked at my house, if someone broke in and stole everything, would you arrest me?
Probably not, but if your insurance company finds out, expect your rates to go way up.
Depends on the car, actually. In my car (Nissan Murano) if I use the remote start you have to get into the vehicle (with the fob) and push the start button again for it to drive anywhere. Likewise, if I leave the car running and exit the vehicle with my fob the engine will just cut off if somebody tries to put the car in gear. That isn't always the case. Not sure about what happens if the vehicle is remotely started, but some vehicles with the keyless start will happily continue driving until turned off regardless of where the fob is.

My GMC can autostart from my cell phone, but it locks the doors first, and will only run a max of 10 minutes. The key is not in the ignition, which means the column is locked and the steering wheel cannot be turned or transmission put into gear.

This_person

I don't think the law is intended in the same context as "leaving your house unlocked" but rather in the context of "leaving the gate to your outdoor pool unlocked". Intentionally leaving an unlocked car running with the keys in it is creating an inviting potential hazard.

So, basically, it's a law saying you can't wear your skirt too short or your shirt too open because then it's YOUR fault for getting raped?

lucky_bee

RBF expert

So, basically, it's a law saying you can't wear your skirt too short or your shirt too open because then it's YOUR fault for getting raped?

Right, so again we're focusing on punishing someone who's action might maybe possibly one day influence someone ELSE to commit a crime.....instead of just punishing the actual criminal if and when it happens. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

PeoplesElbow

Might be one of those "it's for the children" things. The neighbor kid that grew up beside me got into his grandmothers running car, put it in gear, drove down a steep grass hill, hit a storage shed, jumped some railroad tracks and ended up in a tree overlooking a river about 1000 ft away from where she originally parked. This was in the middle of summer though.

Where I went to college some frat boys took the pizza delivery guy's car out of park to let it run down the hill, it went down the steep hill and killed someone.

Last edited:
My Gawd. If it's a choice I have between pushing a button from as far as 100' away to lock my door, or not, and have to deal with the loss of the vehicle and it's contents, dealing with police, filling out reports, dealing with the insurance company, filling out reports, dealing with DMV, filling out paperwork, the inconvenience of being down a vehicle, the thought of having been 'violated' and whether or not it could possibly happen again, waking up in the middle of the night for every noise you hear...... and on and on ....

I'll chose to push the button to lock the door, even if it's in my own driveway.